Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2019
Dallas
Old smoker who quit with son gifted Nexus couple months ago. Got a Pico OTW. Hobbies are fun but ultimately need the nic fix. Nexus is good but a little inconsistent and factory bought coils seem to vary. Reseaching RTA's and rba's atm. A lot of info out there and not all of it seems accurate/valid. I.e. YMMV

Looking for consistency myself and trying to forgo some experience with knowledge. This looks to be a good site to do so. Well off to the RTA and rba thread!

Best,
Ken

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Old smoker who quit with son gifted Nexus couple months ago. Got a Pico OTW. Hobbies are fun but ultimately need the nic fix. Nexus is good but a little inconsistent and factory bought coils seem to vary. Reseaching RTA's and RBA's atm. A lot of info out there and not all of it seems accurate/valid. I.e. YMMV

Looking for consistency myself and trying to forgo some experience with knowledge. This looks to be a good site to do so. Well off to the RTA and RBA thread!

Best,
Ken

Welcome to ECF @Kennneth :)

I'm another old fart who switched from smoking to vaping ... 6 years ago. It's been a pretty cool ride. I love my Picos, have a bunch of them now.

Your in the right place to get a lot of good information on vaping. Hang in there my friend :)

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Hello and welcome to ecf. One thing about this site is we are willing to give our opinions. Right or wrong they are our opinions. Just keep asking until you get the answer you want. ;)
I have been using RTAs for a couple of years. My choice has been the Kayfun V3, V3 mini, and the V5. I have consistently with leakage/seepage on the V5. Now I am back with the V3 mini and an SS316L coil at .5Ω that I vape at 20 watts. An easy satisfying vape.

• Informative
Reactions: Kennneth

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Hi and welcome!

RBAs are a rabbit hole, for sure. You’ll see a lot of the same ones mentioned repeatedly. It’ll help you to be mindful of your personal vaping style - mtl or dl, flavor or clouds or stealth?

I’m all about flavor and stuff has to match. I second the Gear for its ease of use and flavor, and the Wasp nano is very similar but a bit noisier.

The Rba forum will give you plenty of ideas on how to spend your money!

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2019
Dallas
Thanks everyone.

Diver, thanks for the experience. Kayfuns seem to be a good RTA from my reading but scarce as hen's teeth and a bit pricey. May grab one though after a bit of experience if I can find the good version(s).

mintymints, definitely seems build your own coils is the best way to go for all reasons from what I read too. Building won't be an issue for me.

Opinionated and DeloresRose, read good things about the Gear RTA but I don't think it fits a Pico. I'll look at the Wasp but MTL nic fix is what I'm looking for. Any other 22mm suggestions? I'm also surprised I don't seem to find any 510 male to female spacers. Might build one but really don't know if I'll need one if I can find a good 22mm RTA. And I'm an old man so could care less about how it looks, more on form and function, just like a wife should be ; )

As for RBA's, from an engineering perspective seems they have a ways to go but they have potential. A model T is not a new Toyota but better than no car at all! Will probably play with the Aspire one at some point though.

Letitia, yea single deck is what I'm looking for but more for power conservation (battery longevity) other than difficulty assembling as that shouldn't be an issue for me. Very good question on draw. If you had asked me right after I got the Nexus I'd say I'd want it to draw like a regular Marlboro Light. But now I don't really know/care as I've experimented with airflow on Nexus and I seem to be versatile from almost closed to wide open. Consistency in density and nic dosage is what I'm after, or so I think at this point in time. If that's a pine tree that eats battery power or single coil, that's what I want. I should, in my mind, be able to accomplish this with single coil between 10 - 20 watts.

Why haven't I saw a tank with a duck bill type vent requiring a cmH2O or so of pressure differential to open? IMO this should provide better wicking yet still prevent flooding.

Thanks again everyone, sure you'll be hearing more from me : )

Oh, currently using 6ml/ml 70/30 tobacco (red classics). I did have the vap shop put a touch of bourbon in one bottle and I like that...when flavor/effect is consistent. So will experiment with cigar flavors I'm sure.

Reactions: TraderX

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Looking for consistency myself and trying to forgo some experience with knowledge. This looks to be a good site to do so. Well off to the RTA and RBA thread!
Welcome and glad you joined.
The Tron-S,using the CLR coils,the EHpro Kayfun Lite V2, Kayfun V5, and the Kanger Subtank Mini with the RBA/purch option. YFTK Kayfun/SXK KF Prime Styled RTA 2ml and GeekVape Blitzen RTA 5ml Rebuildable Tank Atomizer & Vandy Vape Kylin Mini RTA Vape Tank are said to be good choices.

• Informative

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thanks everyone.

Diver, thanks for the experience. Kayfuns seem to be a good RTA from my reading but scarce as hen's teeth and a bit pricey. May grab one though after a bit of experience if I can find the good version(s).

mintymints, definitely seems build your own coils is the best way to go for all reasons from what I read too. Building won't be an issue for me.

Opinionated and DeloresRose, read good things about the Gear RTA but I don't think it fits a Pico. I'll look at the Wasp but MTL nic fix is what I'm looking for. Any other 22mm suggestions? I'm also surprised I don't seem to find any 510 male to female spacers. Might build one but really don't know if I'll need one if I can find a good 22mm RTA. And I'm an old man so could care less about how it looks, more on form and function, just like a wife should be ; )

As for RBA's, from an engineering perspective seems they have a ways to go but they have potential. A model T is not a new Toyota but better than no car at all! Will probably play with the Aspire one at some point though.

Letitia, yea single deck is what I'm looking for but more for power conservation (battery longevity) other than difficulty assembling as that shouldn't be an issue for me. Very good question on draw. If you had asked me right after I got the Nexus I'd say I'd want it to draw like a regular Marlboro Light. But now I don't really know/care as I've experimented with airflow on Nexus and I seem to be versatile from almost closed to wide open. Consistency in density and nic dosage is what I'm after, or so I think at this point in time. If that's a pine tree that eats battery power or single coil, that's what I want. I should, in my mind, be able to accomplish this with single coil between 10 - 20 watts.

Why haven't I saw a tank with a duck bill type vent requiring a cmH2O or so of pressure differential to open? IMO this should provide better wicking yet still prevent flooding.

Oh, currently using 6ml/ml 70/30 tobacco (red classics). I did have the vap shop put a touch of bourbon in one bottle and I like that...when flavor/effect is consistent. So will experiment with cigar flavors I'm sure.

Sounds like your preference is much like myself, @Katya @NolaMel @AngeNZ and a few others.

I wasn't thinking about 22mm on that PICO sorry....

For a 22 you might want to try the True or the Berserker Mini, a bit tighter a draw than the Gear, but they are popular and far less expensive than the Kayfuns.

I have the Siren 22mm for my husband, those are awesome little tanks if you can still find the 22mm version somewhere.

Look in the restricted lung thread, bunch of us were trying new RTA's in that thread and giving our thoughts..

Last edited:

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Thanks everyone.

There are several tanks that fit that requirement... I don't care much about single or dual coils myself, but I'm more for the Consistency and leak proof. Right now, I am using a Fresia RTA, it's a single coil RTA that is 22mm, and it might fit the bill for ya. there's also something called a doggy style, but it's airflow is not adjustable and it has a plastic tank (I prefer glass). There is also the Siren 2 which looks appealing, but I have no experience with that atomizer, so I can't say if it's good or bad.. but it does look like it fits the bill as well.

I would imagine it has to do with Ecigs being portable. They're shoved into pockets and experience every sort of temperature variation, atomizer orientation, and liquid viscosity, that one duckbill vent can handle. They do use somewhat the same principle on some atomizers, and those are the ones that tend to leak juice into yoru pockets. :) It's the holy grail of RTA's to find a good atomizer that works in all situations, so keep that in mind when you start rebuilding.. it won't be perfect. There will be a learning curve no matter how much you try.. what works on one atomizer might be different on another of the same style/type. The Siren/Fresia for example that I listed above.. they're almost identical in design, but they may wick and vape totally different due to slight changes.. build deck size, glass diameter, chamber size, airflow, etc....

No problem I usually hang out in the new thread to help new people. My main vape is one of those box mods, due to simplicity, but I do have an E-pipe and mechanical tube mods I use occasionally. my next purchases will be a Mod101 style (tube looking ecig) mainly for looks, and a good dual battery mod for ecig longevity. If I had to offer advice, I'd say look into getting a good replaceable battery mod and a good battery charger, so when your battery dies, you just pop in a new one. Oh, and always have a backup mod and atomizer.. so when one breaks, you're not running to the store to pickup some cigarettes while you wait for the mail truck.

And welcome to the forum!

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2019
Dallas
There are several tanks that fit that requirement... I don't care much about single or dual coils myself, but I'm more for the Consistency and leak proof. Right now, I am using a Fresia RTA, it's a single coil RTA that is 22mm, and it might fit the bill for ya. there's also something called a doggy style, but it's airflow is not adjustable and it has a plastic tank (I prefer glass). There is also the Siren 2 which looks appealing, but I have no experience with that atomizer, so I can't say if it's good or bad.. but it does look like it fits the bill as well.

Ditto glass, leak proof and consistency. I'll look at Fresia, TY.

I would imagine it has to do with Ecigs being portable. They're shoved into pockets and experience every sort of temperature variation, atomizer orientation, and liquid viscosity, that one duckbill vent can handle. They do use somewhat the same principle on some atomizers, and those are the ones that tend to leak juice into yoru pockets. :) It's the holy grail of RTA's to find a good atomizer that works in all situations, so keep that in mind when you start rebuilding.. it won't be perfect. There will be a learning curve no matter how much you try.. what works on one atomizer might be different on another of the same style/type. The Siren/Fresia for example that I listed above.. they're almost identical in design, but they may wick and vape totally different due to slight changes.. build deck size, glass diameter, chamber size, airflow, etc....

Yea but there are designs on other devices that work (like a peep value on anesthesia machine). Duckbill may be an oversimplification for vape tanks but good one way valves exsist and I don't plan on jogging anytime soon! Lol. Consider a small lightweight ball with spring that opens at about 5 cmh2o pressure with a teflon seat on the tank top.

And yea, wicking very important and will need deck experience on that one as wick material is important and easily testable but the many decks along with build quality isn't for me atm.

No problem I usually hang out in the new thread to help new people. My main vape is one of those box mods, due to simplicity, but I do have an E-pipe and mechanical tube mods I use occasionally. my next purchases will be a Mod101 style (tube looking ecig) mainly for looks, and a good dual battery mod for ecig longevity. If I had to offer advice, I'd say look into getting a good replaceable battery mod and a good battery charger, so when your battery dies, you just pop in a new one. Oh, and always have a backup mod and atomizer.. so when one breaks, you're not running to the store to pickup some cigarettes while you wait for the mail truck.

TYVM for this service you provide to noobs! Ditto battery info and thankfully I have that covered as I have numerous RC's and can properly charge almost any type of battery property at whatever C rate I want (usually go with 1 C as I have many batteries so time charging not an issue). I hope that the Pico is that good initial mod for me and for now the Nexus will be my backup. Shamefully did the cig thing a month and half ago when I was awaiting coils : ( Should have just went to vape store and got a blu or another AIO!

And welcome to the forum!

Thanks again : )
Ken

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
TYVM for this service you provide to noobs! Ditto battery info and thankfully I have that covered as I have numerous RC's and can properly charge almost any type of battery property at whatever C rate I want (usually go with 1 C as I have many batteries so time charging not an issue). I hope that the Pico is that good initial mod for me and for now the Nexus will be my backup. Shamefully did the cig thing a month and half ago when I was awaiting coils : ( Should have just went to vape store and got a blu or another AIO!
Thanks again : )
Ken

Being knowledgeable in RC's Lithium Ion is a good experience to have with Ecigs, since you're sure knowledgeable about the thermal runaway capabilities of Lithium Ion. Most of the mods with batteries built in are nothing more than small RC batteries. A quick run-down on other replaceable batteries, is they take the innards of the lithium ion battery, and put it in a metal casing. The good being that it's a bit more durable and much less prone to puncture. The bad thing is when they do go thermal, they don't have that protective bag around it to capture the thermal discharges when it does get pushed beyond limits. So, when the Li-Ion vents, it does so in very spectacular and dangerous methods. So, take care of the batteries, and always keep the wraps on the battery in good order, since the whole body of the battery is the "negative".

Also, the whole industry on 18650 cells is just as ambiguous as other cells, and advertising claims are just as bad. they may be rated for a certain amperage discharge, but it get's fuzzy when you're talking about pulse or continuous. A guy named mooch tests for continual discharge and MaH ratings for the batteries that are used in Ecigs and has published some recommended brands for different sizes. He also goes over the general safety of Lithium Ion and is considered the resident expert when it comes to battery safety. A link to his blog is here. A current list of batteries as of this writing is here, but it may change in the future. And one last thing to note, is some people have taken a liking to re-wrapping batteries and either putting their own specs on them, or simply faking higher priced batteries to make a profit. I'm sure you've experienced this already. Just make sure your supplier is a reputable company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread