Not open for further replies.

HDVaper

Ultra Super Senior Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
www.oktom.com
I was rebuilding some old coils last night and 2 out of the 8 I did turned out to be 3.2Ω and 3.3Ω (got a little crazy on the wrapping I guess). But they looked so good (wraps) that I hated to tear them up and start over again.:D My question is will the work OK at the higher Ω or should I re-do them? Thanks in advance.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I do want to throw this out there too. While using a VV/VW device that 3 Ohm coil can be made to fire exactly like a 1.5 Ohm coil, to do so requires more from your battery. From a battery perspective, it will last longer firing a lower voltage on a lower resistance coil than it will firing a higher voltage on a higher resistance coil. The vape is the same the batter life is not.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I do want to throw this out there too. While using a VV/VW device that 3 Ohm coil can be made to fire exactly like a 1.5 Ohm coil, to do so requires more from your battery. From a battery perspective, it will last longer firing a lower voltage on a lower resistance coil than it will firing a higher voltage on a higher resistance coil. The vape is the same the batter life is not.

If you are talking long term impact on your batteries that's actually backwards.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise

On a regulated device, any difference in life at the same wattage is not related to the load per se but the efficiency of the converter at that voltage. So it's not inherently one way or the other. They are likely to be very close regardless, since the wattage demand is the same.

yo419g0tamin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
westland, mi
www.youtube.com

Maybe you should give a bit more info before you state that as most common coils used then you would be wrong.

Volts: 4.5 / ohms: 3.5 = 5.78 watts / amps 1.28 (current setup) MICRO COILS high ohms (most common)
Volts: 2.5 / ohms: 1.5 = 4.16 watts / amps 1.66 (micro coils low ohms)
Volts: 5.5 / ohms: 3.5 = 8.64 watts / amps 1.57 (no micro coils high ohms)
Volts: 3.5 / ohms: 1.5 = 8.16 watts / amps 2.33 (no micro coils low ohms) (most common)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with Rickajho. It may not make sense, but lower resistance allows more voltage to flow to the coil, so the amperage draw from the battery is more. Higher resistance means their is less voltage going to the coil, thereby less amps used by the battery. At least that's the way I've always understood it. I'm sure dr g will set me right.

Low resistance = more amp draw
high resistance = less amp draw

Last edited:

yo419g0tamin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
westland, mi
www.youtube.com
I built a solid 1.2ohm coil in my zap and it fires at 4.2-4.4v tops on the provari mini but gets an E2 error on my other two non-mini Provari's. Was there any subtle amperage limit change from v2 to the newer mini's maybe?

RHP

The provari has a 15watt limit for v2.5 idk about 2.0, 1.2 ohms at 4.4 volts is 16.13 watts I am surprised you can even do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread