High hit with low nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

zSyntex

Nov 29, 2017
Bari
Hi guys, I expect that I mixed a Blendfeel base 70/30 + BigMouth Best Melon Kick (10ml) and nic 1.5 always of BlendFeel (5ml).
On the first day, I did not notice an excessive hit while vaping at 55w maximum. (Druga with Clapton SS316 0,55Ohm)
Today I'm going to re-drip it, and only 2 seconds of vape has shot with hit my lungs, like vaping PopCorn with 3mg to 100W. :lol: Why?
The dilution concentration of aroma + nic is the right one, I've used lower wattage but it's worse than smoke three blonde cig haha.
Something wrong?

zSyntex

Nov 29, 2017
Bari
I am having some difficulty understanding what you are trying to say/ask??

Is there maybe some clarification that might be possible?

Is there something wrong? I can't exactly tell.... :)

Anna
I mixed a Blendfeel Base 70/30 + BigMouth BestMelon Kick Aroma + 5ml of Blendfeel Nic 1,5.
The first day I vaped really good, but since the second day I cannot vape it because the hit (when I inhale the vapor) was strong like the eliquid with high concentration of nic on 100W.
But, I repeat, I vape on 55W with 1,5 nic. Is it strange, isn't it?

Reactions: stols001

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Welcome to ECF @zSyntex; glad you joined!:thumbs:

What is your specific recipe? How many milliliters did you use of each and every ingredient?
How many mL of PG/VG blend? (70PG/30VG correct?)
How many mL of flavor Concentrate (Bigmouth Beast Melon Kick)?
How many mL of nic concentrate?
(what is the original nicotine concentration? I am guessing you wanted a target/goal of 1.5mg/mL nic)
(and what is its base? PG, or VG, or VG blend?)

Without knowing exactly how much of each ingredient you used it is pretty difficult to figure out what is causing your problem. Also, how did you measure your ingredients? Did you use syringes, or measure by weight, or something else? How long did you age this mix? Did you do do anything else special during the mixing, or aging process?

If you give us more details; we'll see if we can help you get it figured out. :)

zSyntex

Nov 29, 2017
Bari
Welcome to ECF @zSyntex; glad you joined!:thumbs:

What is your specific recipe? How many milliliters did you use of each and every ingredient?
How many mL of PG/VG blend? (70PG/30VG correct?)
How many mL of flavor Concentrate (Bigmouth Beast Melon Kick)?
How many mL of nic concentrate?
(what is the original nicotine concentration? I am guessing you wanted a target/goal of 1.5mg/mL nic)
(and what is its base? PG, or VG, or VG blend?)

Without knowing exactly how much of each ingredient you used it is pretty difficult to figure out what is causing your problem. Also, how did you measure your ingredients? Did you use syringes, or measure by weight, or something else? How long did you age this mix? Did you do do anything else special during the mixing, or aging process?

If you give us more details; we'll see if we can help you get it figured out. :)
Of course, I'll give you more info about it.
That's a 70/30 (80ml of base, 100ml of capacity) base + 10Ml of Aroma + 5ml of nic 1,5. Mixed them make an e-liquid like the other one that everyone make.
It's strange, because I've always used to make e-liquid with these concentration.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Of course, I'll give you more info about it.
That's a 70/30 (80ml of base, 100ml of capacity) base + 10Ml of Aroma + 5ml of nic 1,5. Mixed them make an e-liquid like the other one that everyone make.
It's strange, because I've always used to make e-liquid with these concentration.
Okay; so what I am understanding you to say is, that your recipe is:

84.21% 70PG/30VG base (80mL)
10.53% Big Mouth brand, Beast - Melon Kick flavor concentrate/aroma (10mL)
5.26% 1,5 BlendFeel nicotine (25mg/mL nic concentration in a base of water) (5mL)

If all that is correct; this is your result:
upload_2017-11-30_17-22-25.png

With that understanding; I see two potential causes for a harsh vape:
1.) High ratio of PG. PG is known to "add" throat-hit (harshness) to vapor. To rule this out, if you have any of your PG/VG base left over, try vaping a little bit of it. Without any nicotine, or aroma, you will be able to quickly notice if this has the same/similar harshness.

2.) Higher than recommended amount of flavoring:
upload_2017-11-30_17-41-23.png

(Note: this was taken from Big Mouth's DIY(mixing) instructions found on product's web-page. See above link)
10.53% verses 8% is not totally out of line; but it is high. This really comes down to a matter of personal preference/taste. Some individuals have very sensitive taste buds, and require less flavoring. While others have insensitive/damaged taste buds, and require more flavoring. So, how much any one person requires, is a matter of trial and error. If you have leftover PG/VG base, you could take a small amount of your completed recipe, and add a little more of your base to it to see if a lower flavor percentage helps.

This is also why the manufacturer recommends:
upload_2017-11-30_17-55-37.png

Additionally, I see the description of the aroma is:
upload_2017-11-30_18-4-47.png

Sour is often accomplished by using Malic Acid, Citric Acid, or a combination of both. These mild food grade acids can be (more or less; depending on the individual) somewhat irritating. An additive like Ethyl Maltol, or Sweetener (Sucralose) can help to mute the harshness and add a bit of sweet. If you don't want any added sweetness; you could use something like The Flavor Apprentice (TFA) product named Smooth:
upload_2017-11-30_18-22-27.png

One final thought: it may also just be a matter of time. Some liquids/recipes just require time to blend, mature, and sometimes soften. This is why the instructions also say:
upload_2017-11-30_18-28-13.png

Time also can allow Ethanol to evaporate. Ethanol is sometimes used as a flavor carrier, and is found by many, to add a noticeable harshness. If the Ethanol content is significant, it's evaporation can be accelerated, by leaving your mixture sit with the bottle completely uncapped (both cap, and dripper top removed). Just don't go overboard with the cap off, as this can also permit flavor loss (especially with some citrus flavors).

Sorry that this post is so long; I hope you find something useful in it. Let us know how you progress. :)

zSyntex

Nov 29, 2017
Bari
@IDJoel sorry if I didn't answer right away, unfortunately I had to finish a demanding exam session. I've never seen such an exhaustive answer for my problem, and I really appreciate it.
Now that the liquid has matured, I notice a less acidic taste, but anyway the hit in the throat is strong.
I switched to an 80/20 (PG / VG) + ApplePear BigMouth 7% and it doesn't not bother me (and my throat) anymore. Obviously, zero nicotine. :D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@IDJoel sorry if I didn't answer right away, unfortunately I had to finish a demanding exam session. I've never seen such an exhaustive answer for my problem, and I really appreciate it.
Now that the liquid has matured, I notice a less acidic taste, but anyway the hit in the throat is strong.
I switched to an 80/20 (PG / VG) + ApplePear BigMouth 7% and it doesn't not bother me (and my throat) anymore. Obviously, zero nicotine. :D
No worries, I appreciate you taking time to keep me in the loop. I am glad you got a vape that is working for you... that is the important thing!:thumbs:
I hope your exams went well. Enjoy the holidays!:toast:

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread