High School

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelphie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Wow that would be an unimaginable outrage these days. A bench supplied for teenage smokers and in school too. I think I would have liked that.
At my school all we had was the bathroom and it wasnt allowed but it was difficult to get in trouble because it was impossible to pinpoint who was smoking any a given time in a room always so filled with smog.

scheherezade

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
VA Beach
When I was in high school (graduated in 1986) we had the "Smoking Ramp". An entire covered patio outside one of the backdoors of the school. I remember spending my entire study hall period out there every day rain, snow or shine. My daughter cannot believe this was allowed!

We had a smoking ramp too. Ran outside from the lower level of the high school to the upper. Went to school in PA. You just needed a signed permission slip to use it!

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Smoking was not allowed on my high school campus. But it didn't stop anyone There was several places people went to smoke. Most of the teachers didn't care and would look the other way unless you did something to piss them off, then they for sure would bust you. We did have one teacher that would check what brand you were smoking as long as you had a brand of PhillipMorris he wouldn't do anything. He owned Phillip Morris stock was the reason why.

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
We had a smoking area outside the cafeteria, all you needed was the permission slip signed. This coming from a school that allowed dip and chew as long as you wore the spit can around your neck. It was 1994 in tobacco land in NC. I used to be able to walk out the front of the school and pick tobacco off the plants, there were feilds of them. ahhhh the good times.

My first year of high school was the last year of the student smoking section there. That was 84, and yeah, nobody can believe that I used to be able to smoke at school as a Sophomore. Heh. After they took it away, we just ran across the street and smoked far enough away so that the security guards couldn't send us to the principal's office. We also constantly smoked between class in the girl's restroom, with a lookout of course.

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia
There was absolutely no sanctioned smoking facility where I went to H.S. in the late '60s - early '70s. Closest there was was one secluded embankment/stairway where the school grounds adjoined a quiet street. It was popularly know as ".... Row." I think it was the smoking place for a generation before me, and I'd be curious to know if it still is.

Tyger0902

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2010
North Carolina
While I was jr. high we kept hearing in high school they allowed smoking in the classrooms (this was back in 1985). Well, the next yr they changed it and students were allowed to smoke only between classes also only the juniors and seniors were allowed off campus. Sucked being in 10th grade and be the only grade not allowed off campus. Of course that didn't stop us.:evil: When your friends have older brothers/sisters that drove. '

Of course by 1988 they stopped smoking on campus altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread