High VG liquid burns coils = normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK_Vape

Mar 26, 2016
Hi all,

I have a question which is driving me crazy. All this time I was in search of fluid I like - some seemed too sweet, some just too strange. But one time they gave me a juice to smell, and loved it. It's called Weirdo. But this isn't the question or juice advertisement.

The issue is that it's 80/20 Vg/Pg, so it's thick. My Nautilus Aspire Mini simply couldn't handle this. The coils lasted about two days. I got tired and then read that you the Nautilus is no good for this. They said I need a sub-ohm tank. So I went to the local vape store and got Halo Reactor. I instantly loved the vaping quality, way better than Nautilus. But it turned out that the coils do not last much longer. Less than a week, then vapor becomes worse and then at some point I feel a burning smell and know game's over.

So I'm sick and tired, and want to ask: is this normal? Why do they sell this crappy juice then, to make people buy a pack of coils every month? Then I will return to regular smoking, it's the same price. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Just for reference, my configuration is: Eleaf adjustable battery (50W or 10V Halo Reactor tank 0.5 Ohm, I usually vape at 25W - or 3.5V, I think).

Sanctuary Denied

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2013
Vancouver, Wa
The price of coils was what made me switch from tanks to RTA's and RDA's.
It takes little practice and a few cheap tools to get it right, but the cost is much less.
I used to use a few Atlantis tanks (made by Aspire as well). Before that I had two Nautilus tanks.
With the RTA's and RDA's I use I can get a month or more out of a coil by changing out the cotton and cleaning the coil. The cost is far cheaper for the material and they last much longer. You may want to ask around as to what people are using.
Me, I have a Griffin 25, Avocado 24, both RTA's. Sapor, broken Tsunami :(, and an older cheap Diablo Mephisto all RDA's.
I have far less/no problems with these handling high VG liquids.

RK_Vape

Mar 26, 2016
Yes high VG juices are very thick meaning that some atomizers are unable to wick them sufficiently. You could try thinning your juice with some VG or a little pure water.

Did you mean PG? Because if it's already high VG why add it? I tried a little bit of water. But the taste changed a bit. I didn't expect it, it's really a bit. But maybe it's just a very small drop needed. And as for PG, I don't think you can buy these components (pg or vg) in pure form, not as a juice.

RK_Vape

Mar 26, 2016
The price of coils was what made me switch from tanks to RTA's and RDA's.
It takes little practice and a few cheap tools to get it right, but the cost is much less.
I used to use a few Atlantis tanks (made by Aspire as well). Before that I had two Nautilus tanks.
With the RTA's and RDA's I use I can get a month or more out of a coil by changing out the cotton and cleaning the coil. The cost is far cheaper for the material and they last much longer. You may want to ask around as to what people are using.
Me, I have a Griffin 25, Avocado 24, both RTA's. Sapor, broken Tsunami :(, and an older cheap Diablo Mephisto all RDA's.
I have far less/no problems with these handling high VG liquids.
I looked at RDA and RTA, I have never worked with them. Very interesting. And what tools do you need to change coils in the RTA (I liked the RTA idea better)? Does every model require its own set of tools? And you still have to buy wire for these coils and cotton somewhere. If I could clean the coil and change the cotton, it would be great. It's actually the cotton which gets bad. This is what I need.

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
It honestly comes down to the color and flavor at that thickness. For instance I can get maybe one day out of my subtank plus using muffin man from OHW. It's a really dark and sweet juice with cinnamon in it. Conversely, I can get almost two weeks out of the same coil using milkman by OHW. It's a much clighter pink colored strawberries and cream juice. And I've gone almost a month on one coil with Crimson by Illusions which is the same flavor profile as milkman but is clear as water. All of those are 80% VG. I find it's the flavoring and color that gunks up the coil itself as well.

And all you really need to use an RBA deck in any tank is a set of screwdrivers, some wire and a bag of cotton. I get my wire and cotton at my local shop, $10 for a bag of Cotton Bacon v2 and another 10 for 30 feet of 24g kanthal. 5 twists around a 2.4mm screwdriver gets you to right between 0.4-5ohms. I was always hesitant to get into using rebuildables because it sounded like a pain in the .... And it was for the first week while you master everything. But once you do, it's so very liberating. No more worrying about whether your coil is going to crap out because if it does you just pull the wick out, dry burn, rewick and you're good to go. And once bag of cotton lasts for more than a month.

Sanctuary Denied

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2013
Vancouver, Wa
I looked at RDA and RTA, I have never worked with them. Very interesting. And what tools do you need to change coils in the RTA (I liked the RTA idea better)? Does every model require its own set of tools? And you still have to buy wire for these coils and cotton somewhere. If I could clean the coil and change the cotton, it would be great. It's actually the cotton which gets bad. This is what I need.
Like Maiar said,
Most come with a tool to change out the coil, but the screws are usually standard (small) screw driver/allen screws anyways. Other than that, a small screw diver set, wire cutters, scissors, tweezers is enough to get started, most of which you can get at a dollar store or Harbor Freight. If you get into it you might pick up some better quality tools.
You still have to buy wire and cotton, cotton is very cheap, a couple of bucks will give you enough for several builds. A spool of round kanthal wire bought online is usually around five bucks (give or take). The spool is going to make quite a few coils. There are several options with wire, all far less expensive in the long run.
RTA's can be a little trickier to get the wicking just right (too much = dry hits, too little = prone to leaking) but they hold more juice. RDA's usually produce better flavor and are usually easier to wick but you need to drip juice on them regularly.
I suggest watching a few reviews online for products and build tutorials.
Of all of my toppers the Griffin 25 is my favorite RTA and Sapor is my favorite RDA. There are a lot to choose from, try to find one that is easy to build on, especially at first.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Every day or 2 I simply use a Q-tip/cotton swab to clean the gunk off the coil. It will not work on Naughty coils as the ID is too small but the larger ID coils(0.5 or lower) usually work fine. Just screw the swab in and out, repeat until the swab comes out clean. It usually takes 3 swabs or 2 Q-tips total. Some swabs have more cotton on the tips than others so the excess cotton needs to be removed to allow it to fit down into the coil. If the cotton pulls off in the coil I use a toothpick to poke it out.
Can get months from a single coil doing this. ymmv. Cheers.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Did you mean PG? Because if it's already high VG why add it? I tried a little bit of water. But the taste changed a bit. I didn't expect it, it's really a bit. But maybe it's just a very small drop needed. And as for PG, I don't think you can buy these components (pg or vg) in pure form, not as a juice.

You can buy VG at CVS in small bottles, but I don't think PG is easy to find in stores. I think places like Tractor Supply sell it. You can get VG and PG in larger quantities on-line. Look on Amazon for Essential Depot for example. Around $10 a quart. It's used for making soap and lotions among other things. If you have Prime shipping is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread