Status
Not open for further replies.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
First, you are correct that such atomizers are referred to as "HV" or "high voltage." However, it really is a misnomer. They are used on high voltage mods, but the atomizers are high resistance (ohms).

To understand this HV and LR stuff, it helps to be familiar with Ohms Law (which really isn't a big deal to grasp; if this non-techie can do it, anyone can;)):

• Power (measured in watts) is the intensity of the vape. 6-8 watts is the "sweet spot" for most vapers.

• Current (measured in amps) is what can burn out atomizers. Roughly speaking: around 1.5 amps is fine; 2.0+ amps is risky.
But watts and amps are not properties of atomizers or batteries. They are derived from atomizer resistance (measured in ohms) and battery voltage (measured, of course, in volts). The formula are:

• Watts = Volts X Volts / Ohms

• Amps = Volts / Ohms
So we need to balance battery voltage with atomizer resistance to get an ideal vape intensity (6-8 watts or so) without burning out the atomizer (i.e., not let those amps get too high). If the voltage is too low and/or the atty resistance is too high (relative to each other), you get a wimpy vape (little TH, vapor, and flavor). If the voltage is too high and/or the atty resistance is too low, you can burn out the atomizer.

Most "HV" atomizers are 4.5 ohms and are intended for use on 6V mods (using two 3.0V batteries). This results in 8 watts of vaping (very nice) and 1.3 amps current (a conservative level, e.g., a standard 2.3 ohm 510 atty on a 3.4V eGO is 1.5 amps).

Some HV attys are 3.5 ohms, intended for use on 5V mods: 7 watts and 1.4 amps. Others are 5.2 ohms, intended for 7.4V mods (using two 3.7V batteries): 10.5 watts and 1.4 amps.

The further you push the amps above 1.5, the greater the risk of burning out an atomizer (although I wouldn't worry about anything up to 2.0 amps). Vapers use 1.5 ohm LR attys on 3.4V egos (7.7 watts and 2.3 amps) all the time, but notice that suppliers warn about limited life spans of such LR atomizers.

A regular 2.3 ohm 510 atty on a 3.7V mod yields 6 watts and 1.7 amps: nice vaping with little risk of atty burnout.

I like to use 2.0 ohm LR atomizers on my 3.7V mod: 6.8 watts (which is great for me) and 1.85 amps (pretty safe).

FYI: I didn't do all those watts and amps calculations in my head. Rather I used this simple online calculator: enter any two values (e.g., ohms and volts) and it calculates the other two (e.g., watts and amps).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread