Higher Voltage/resistance Vs Lower Voltage/resistance - SAME POWER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver1

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi All

Is there any benefit of the one over the other at the same Power? (wattage)

Lets take a simple example on some of my equipment with standard coils.

Scenario 1
Kanger Protank 2 standard coil - 2.2 ohm
Voltage on my Vision Spinner batt - 4 Volts
Power - 7.27W (V squared/R)

Scenario 2
Kanger Protank 2 standard coil - 1.8 ohm
Voltage on my Vision Spinner batt - 3.6 Volts
Power - 7.2 W (almost identical to above)

In theory, surely these two scenarios should give the same vape, all else equal?

However, I calculated the current for each scenario. I=V/R
Scenario 1 - 1.8 amps
Scenario 2 - 2 amps

Does the higher current (even though the same power is being used) make any difference? Surely the heating of the coil should be the same though?

I havent done side by side tests, since I only have one Protank. But I dont really notice much difference with the different coil. Then again, its hard for me to compare.

Any insights will be appreciated.

Last edited:

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
Just my experience.

I am finding I can run higher resistance attys at a lower wattage and get better flavor and vapor. And my batteries last longer.

I know that goes against the common thought pattern here, but that is my experience.

Tapatalking with my thumbs.
Join the CASAA.
Protect your Vaping Rights!

Silver1

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Only thing I can say is the higher ohm coil would pull less amps and the battery would last longer. Probably not enough to make me go higher ohms.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Hi Patrao_n

Thanks for your reply. But as I explained in my post - its at the same power. So surely, it doesn't matter what the amps is - the battery will last the same if its at the same power? I may be wrong, but that's what I thought?

Silver1

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Just my experience.

I am finding I can run higher resistance attys at a lower wattage and get better flavor and vapor. And my batteries last longer.

I know that goes against the common thought pattern here, but that is my experience.

Tapatalking with my thumbs.
Join the CASAA.
Protect your Vaping Rights!

Thanks BernieVideo, interesting.
However I assume the lower power gives a lower intensity vape (ie less throat hit and less vapour).

Silver1

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Remember, that your wattage is your power output, and the amperage is the number of amps drawn from your battery to reach that power output. Higher Ohm builds require fewer amps from your battery. Hope this helps. Don't you just love Ohm's Law?

Thanks RubyRoo - yes, in my original post, I did mean power = wattage.

What I'm asking is what would the difference be in the two scenarios I explained in my post - at the same wattage?
I would assume there should be no difference in the vape experience but just checking to see if anyone else has experimented with this and has found any real differences.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Theoretically the less amps drawn should give one longer battery life, but you have to add in the extra power used to step up the voltage supplied. So one may get a slight advantage of longer battery life with a higher resistant build, but not as much as the straight amp savings would imply.

Far as same vape, um, no. Although the same watts is being supplied the amount of coil surface to wick ratio is different. Also the type of wire used and if one went with a higher gauge wire instead of adding more wraps would influence the vape also. No two builds will produce the same vape regardless of consistent watts used. They may be quite similar on the same atomizer but subtleties may be noticed. Also the wick being used can influence the flavor. As a wick gets broken in and seasoned more flavor and contrast is often noticed, then as it wears out or accumulates gunk quality and production tends to fall off.

I tend to build to optimize the atomizer for best performance and flavor and that will allow me to vape on my regulated device at max watts. The only other time I consider amp draw is when going sub ohm on my Mechanicals so as not to stress the batteriy amp limits.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
As with much of vaping, the answer is it depends....:laugh: Vaping the same wattage in a similar atty or carto would be the same IF the coils had the same length of wire (different gauage for different resistance) around your wicking.

Before re-buildable attys and clearo coils were available the higher ohm atty were preferred with higher voltage because there were more turns in the wire for the hi-res atty. With the current crop of toppers you can adjust the length of wire used (longer the better) in your setup. So long as the whole coil fires quickly and completly the vape should be the same.

Low resistance attys were developed for use with 3.7 volt fixed voltage batteries, as that was all that was easily available at the time. A good 2.5 ohm topper works well for me, and gives me plenty of adjustment both up and down depending on the flavor. Before VV and VW mods were readily available changing resistance was the only way to "adjust your vape".

A good quality 18650 IMR battery should last most vapers all day, or at least all work-day...:) The difference in battery charge length of time should not be noticeable.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
LR coils will heat faster and hotter than a higher resistance coil, and will pull more current (amps) from the battery to do so. The resulting vape experience will be a warmer vape.

The opposite is also true. Higher resistance coils will take longer to heat and be less hot, requiring less current from the battery to do so. The resulting vape experience will be a cooler vape.

Last edited:

Silver1

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Theoretically the less amps drawn should give one longer battery life, but you have to add in the extra power used to step up the voltage supplied. So one may get a slight advantage of longer battery life with a higher resistant build, but not as much as the straight amp savings would imply.

Far as same vape, um, no. Although the same watts is being supplied the amount of coil surface to wick ratio is different. Also the type of wire used and if one went with a higher gauge wire instead of adding more wraps would influence the vape also. No two builds will produce the same vape regardless of consistent watts used. They may be quite similar on the same atomizer but subtleties may be noticed. Also the wick being used can influence the flavor. As a wick gets broken in and seasoned more flavor and contrast is often noticed, then as it wears out or accumulates gunk quality and production tends to fall off.

I tend to build to optimize the atomizer for best performance and flavor and that will allow me to vape on my regulated device at max watts. The only other time I consider amp draw is when going sub ohm on my Mechanicals so as not to stress the batteriy amp limits.

Thanks dice57, I didn't give much thought to the coil surface to wick ratio potentially being different. In my example I am quoting two standard coils as supplied with the Protank. I assume then that the higher ohm coil has more wraps or thicker wire. So more coil surface to wick. I re-iterate, I am not building these coils, they are the stock ones that come with the tank.

Very interesting and thanks for the insight.

Silver1

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
As with much of vaping, the answer is it depends....:laugh: Vaping the same wattage in a similar atty or carto would be the same IF the coils had the same length of wire (different gauage for different resistance) around your wicking.

Before re-buildable attys and clearo coils were available the higher ohm atty were preferred with higher voltage because there were more turns in the wire for the hi-res atty. With the current crop of toppers you can adjust the length of wire used (longer the better) in your setup. So long as the whole coil fires quickly and completly the vape should be the same.

Low resistance attys were developed for use with 3.7 volt fixed voltage batteries, as that was all that was easily available at the time. A good 2.5 ohm topper works well for me, and gives me plenty of adjustment both up and down depending on the flavor. Before VV and VW mods were readily available changing resistance was the only way to "adjust your vape".

A good quality 18650 IMR battery should last most vapers all day, or at least all work-day...:) The difference in battery charge length of time should not be noticeable.

Thanks Stosh - appreciate your comment about the the LR coils being initially developed for 3.7 fixed voltage batteries. I must say, in my limited experience (I do have a Variable Voltage battery) I do seem to prefer the standard 2.2 ohm coils versus the standard 1.8 ohm. Can't exactly put my finger on it, but it seems like it gives me slightly better flavour. But I havent really been able to compare this side by side.

Silver1

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
LR coils will heat faster and hotter than a higher resistance coil, and will pull more current (amps) from the battery to do so. The resulting vape experience will be a warmer vape.

The opposite is also true. Higher resistance coils will take longer to heat and be less hot, requiring less current from the battery to do so. The resulting vape experience will be a cooler vape.

Hi Baditude, thanks for responding. While your comments sound fully understandable and logical, I am quite sure they are valid at a constant voltage. What I am more interested in is the lower resistance coil at a lower voltage versus the higher resistance coil at a higher voltage - but both at the same power (wattage). Surely, at the same power, the heating is the same? (Regardless of the difference in amps). And which one will vape better or what will the difference be?

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
If a 2.2 ohm coils is working for you...don't mess with success....:laugh:

It should give you enough room to adjust the voltage up or down according to taste. Don't get hung up on numbers, volts or watts, adjust to the best taste and then look to see what voltage it is set to so you can set it there next time...:)

I like a lower setting with my lemon-ice juice, and higher for my coffee-bourbon, just adjust my PV to what tastes best to me.

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
Hi Baditude, thanks for responding. While your comments sound fully understandable and logical, I am quite sure they are valid at a constant voltage. What I am more interested in is the lower resistance coil at a lower voltage versus the higher resistance coil at a higher voltage - but both at the same power (wattage). Surely, at the same power, the heating is the same? (Regardless of the difference in amps). And which one will vape better or what will the difference be?

My understanding is that for a given wattage, the lower ohm coil will be more massive, therefore cooler.

The lower ohm coil will have more surface area too, so will produce a more even heating.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-not-matter-its-all-about-wire-temp-read.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread