• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Hints and Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
ok..put your cigarettes in another room..across the house from where you normaly sit. That way you have to get up and schlep across the house to get a smoke..it's too much trouble!

vape before you have a smoke..try to vape the craving away. If it works..yea! If not..try again later.

My hubby smokes too..my Mom also smoked in the house before she passed away. (she lived with us)
At first it made it hard for me to just vape..then I decided to start cleaning their ashtrays at every oppourtunity. Let me tell you old cigs and ashes stink! After a while I hated even touching them and the smell of a burning cig got smellier and smellier. (is that even a word?)

I went through my closet and washed all my clothes. I bought some of my fav purfume and some febreeze for the car. I did my best to get rid of the smell..even hubby noticed! (didn't stop him from stinking my car up again though. ..an open window just messes up my hair! It doesn't get rid of the smoke!)

I used to go outside with friends to have a smoke when I visited Tampa or went to a women's group meeting. Now I stay indoors to aviod the smell. If I need a vape, I go to the ladies room!

When you have the urge to smoke and can't vape..grab a carrot stick or a celery stick and munch away. It may not be the nic calling but the hand to mouth sensation. Think crunchy..gum works too.

Katattack

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2010
FL
Awesome suggestions. I am finding analogs are tasting worse and worse and I'm going longer and longer between them. Hubby smokes inside when the kids are gone and is a few feet away from me. That will be my final dragon to slay. When I can sit there with my only thought being "eech that stinks" I'll have won the battle. I'm sure I'll get there when I get there.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
It took me about 6 weeks to completely put down the smokes. I'm oppositional, so i couldn't tell myself that i was "quitting", yet I've been almost 3 months completely smoke free! I still tell myself that if i want a cig, i can have one. they just taste funky now. When i started vaping, i didn't come in with the idea of quitting. i would have started with a feeling of deprivation and would have had a hard time letting go of that. instead, i figuring that if i avoided a few smokes that would help, and didn't pressure myself. every cig avoided is a "win". I still like the smell of fresh smoke, but it's not a trigger for lighting up.

Metstoo

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Central Florida
I let myself smoke the analogs until I was thoroughly comfortable with my PV and knew what I needed to do to make it reliable. In other words, how to fiddle with it, what juice strength, what type of filler/mod that suited me, etc.

In that context, I automatically cut back on the analogs simply because I was too busy and fascinated with my new toy! And the flavors!

When I felt I was ready, I simply quit buying cigs. If I don't have them handy, I don't want one. I've had a couple of small cravings for them but easily vaped through the moment.

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
Hey all;

I'm really glad I found this thread! I've been doing the same thing. I haven't given up my analogs yet. But I am making progress. The other day I lit an analog, and thought to myself where is the vapor cloud?
I'm gradually getting used vaping. Whenever I would try to quit smoking before, I would go into panic mode if I didn't have analogs right by me all the time.
I had a bad habit of smoking in our bedroom before bedtime. If I had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, I lit up. Now I don't keep analogs in the bedroom anymore. If I really want one that bad, I have to get up, put on my limb, and stumble through the dark all the way to the kitchen. I'm getting to the point where that is just not worth it. So I keep an ecig in the bedroom now. For me, it may take a little time to break all the psychological habits of analogs. I thank God I discovered ecigs!

Metstoo

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Central Florida
Replacing regular smoking situations with vaping have helped me too. I kinda miss my back porch because I no longer have to go outside but when I first started vaping, I made it a point to substitute a cig with a vape when sitting in my chair out there. Same thing with my usual smoke on the way in to work. Used the pv instead, just a couple of times at first and then always. Knowing you can always have a smoke if you really need it makes it less stressful and, oddly enough, less needed.

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia
In a way, I may have helped myself out a bit with all the rules I made and mostly kept about smoking when I relapsed after an unhappy quit a few years back: Stand up to smoke while watching TV, no wake-up cigarette until the coffee's made, no more than two on the way to work (and no more than five on the way home <g>).

I regard all of these as rules I'm allowed to break with my PV.

That said, I'm not entirely quit, partly out of satisfaction with having gone from 20+ down to 5 or so; partly out wanting to get the technical and flavor aspects perfectly and reliably sorted out. (I envy those here who are sufficiently stuck on something to own a liter of it!) And partly out of laziness, I guess. If I were down to just 1 or 2 a day every day, the biggest difference between that and zero would be bragging rights at the Dr.'s office.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Oh let me tell you one of the "Biggies" is when you have a ache/ pain/ minor illness and your Dr. says.."it's the smoking!" and you can look her in the eye and say..I DON'T SMOKE!
I have had back pain most of my life due to a slighty crooked spine. But when I spoke to a Dr. about it he proceeded to tell me smoking was my problem. That is caused bone loss, bone pain ect. and on and on. I have been smoke free for almost a year..guess what my back still hurts and I still have scoliosis! Oh my!
Of course now i get if you had stopped when you were younger...and on it goes.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I just found a new trick! A jar with some lavender oil in it..any kind of scented oil will do. When you have a craving..try opening the jar and taking a nice sniff. For me it helps to stave off any nic craving. I am trying to lower my nic intake again, from 11mg to 8mg. While I have 11, 8, and 0 nic juices for my cartos..I keep drifting back to 11mg!
I find i want the higher nic late at night and that's when I grab my little jar of lavender..it's helping a bit.:p

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I'll share what worked for me. Over the course of a couple of years, I had weaned myself down to 10 cigarettes a day, supplemented by 5-6 pieces of nicotine gum. I had my NJOY NPRO for several months and would use it only on occasion. But I knew that I really, really needed to stop the analogs because the wheezing when I got into bed was keeping me awake, and I was going through bottles of Mucinex like nobody's business. The problem for me was that the vaping really was not as satisfying as a puff of the real thing.

So I figured out that I needed to take away the basis of comparison. I had dental surgery scheduled for a Friday and was told not to smoke for 24 hours after the surgery. So I stopped smoking for the weekend. On Sunday afternoon, I took up my e-cigarette and was off and running as a regular vaper. I did allow myself a puff of the real thing once or twice a day until I had used up my open pack. I actually never finished the last cigarette in the pack. The real thing was starting to taste too nasty.

I did notice, however, that I was having problems concentrating. I found out that liquid comes in strengths higher than NJOY puts into their "high" cartridges, so I bought some 24 mg. liquid and that solved the problem. I have switched over to a Joye 510 using the teabag mod. I find it it easier for me to tell whether I am getting any nicotine using the 510.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread