Hiring policies ... and a new company on my list to boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
Yes they do exclude methadone users. It shows up in the urine as an opioid
They don't have a policy of not hiring people using opiods as prescription meds. for back pain or kidney stone for example. They'll have to provide a report from their doc. to justify the positive urin test. Also, there is no policy against hiring ex-opiod addicts on methadone maintenance prescribed by MD as antiaddictive.
An ex-smoker using NRT precscribed by his doctor is excluded from employment in these places.

Reactions: caramel

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
They don't have a policy of not hiring people using opiods as prescription meds. for back pain or kidney stone for example. They'll have to provide a report from their doc. to justify the positive urin test. Also, there is no policy against hiring ex-opiod addicts on methadone maintenance prescribed by MD as antiaddictive.
An ex-smoker using NRT precscribed by his doctor is excluded from employment in these places.

With a Dr's prescription, they Shouldn't be. Bet we see some lawsuits over this.
BTW When did the insurance companies take over the world?

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE

DuckysVapeReviews

Unresolved Status
Jun 3, 2015
I guess this falls under drug abuse disclosure acts. I know a few companies in Colorado & California that still fires and refuses employment for use of {OTHER STUFF}. Here in TX you can refuse employment for use of tobacco ONLY IF THE JOB IS IN A SMOKE FREE ZONE such as hospital employees. Seems a lil nazi like but I personally wouldnt want someone drenched in cig smoke around a child with hypersensitivity to cig smoke or nicotine or allergic to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Amazing, how smoking/non-smoking has turned into a tool for meddling in people's private lives and lifestyle.

What happened to the times where you just owed a certain number of workhours in exchange for a certain number of greenbacks and nobody gave a roach fart of what you did before and/or after work because it's none of their effing bidness ?

Now it seems you have to sign an you're-all-mine deal, just like you with that fella wearing a tail, horns, and a horsehoe on one leg....

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
My old job as a bedside RN in a huge hospital banned tobacco anywhere near the hospital, tested for cotinine for health insurance reasons, blah blah. I stealth vaped everyday at work in the bathroom. When I finished my masters degree and became a nurse practitioner, I gave the proberbial middle finger to that hospital (not really, but I did in the privacy of my own home lol) and at my new job, they just ban using tobacco near entrances or exits. There are 5-6 of us who vape. I do so in the privacy of my office all the time. Lady at the front desk does it in front of the entire lobby. No cotinine tests required whatsoever. I love my new job for multiple reasons, the tobacco policy is just one of them. I would never work for an "anti-tobacco zealot" facility ever again. There are 2 hospitals here in the Kansas City area that no longer hire people that use tobacco. I would never ever work for them. I consider it their loss because a lot of healthcare professionals smoke, vape, and chew tobacco. They could be missing out on one of the best RN's, NP, MD, DO, pharmacist, etc because of their stupid anti tobacco use rules.
Yup! I used to be a paramedic in ER at Menorah Med. Center across the state line. When they went to smoke free campus, people were running across the street on their breaks to smoke. I was one of them! We coldnt even smoke in our cars. Several of us got scripts for Wellbutrin, but I had allergic reaction to it. I didn't work there too long after that. I know of several other employees who left around the same time.

Reactions: Foggy Road

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
What happened to the times where you just owed a certain number of workhours in exchange for a certain number of greenbacks and nobody gave a roach fart of what you did before and/or after work because it's none of their effing bidness ?

I believe this happened around the time that Personnel Departments flipped 180 degrees and became "Human Resources" ...

The very term "Human Resources" is demeaning and possessive ...

Anyone over the age of 50 might remember a time when the Personnel Department of a corporation performed all of the appropriate functions, kept employee records, gave assistance to managers in recruiting new talent, handled exit interviews, etc...

But they also provided one crucial service that kept the workplace in balance. They acted as an employee advocate in any grievance between workers and management, like a public defender for those who were victimized or falsely accused of wrongdoing by hostile supervisors ...

They really did that ...

Somehow, when we weren't looking, the "good guys" disappeared, and "Human Resources" folks slipped into their offices one night. Their mandate is to enforce restrictive policies that often make no sense, and to shield managers from any attempt by an employee to defend against management misconduct ...

This shifted the balance, fractured the system, and its stayed broken for decades now ...

To the best of my recollection, it was right around the time that smoking began to be demonized as the scourge of humanity, and other invasive and oppressive policies appeared in the workplace ...

Probably just coincidence ... :rolleyes:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
They have every right to decide who they hire and their hiring policies......
I just wish I had an account at Huntington Bank I could close, to exercise my rights :)

I happened to see this while searching the web and was really taken back...
If they truly cared about heath and wellness you'd think they'd support alternatives to smoking...... :(

Tobacco-Free Hiring Practice: To demonstrate our commitment to health and wellness, Huntington will not hire any candidate who uses tobacco or any nicotine product including, but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco, chewing tobacco, snuff or snus, nicotine gum, the nicotine patch or any other kind of nicotine replacement product (where permitted by applicable state law). Candidates applying for positions in those states will be notified of this practice during the recruitment process and, if offered a position, will be screened for cotinine (to check for use of tobacco and/or nicotine products and/or nicotine replacement therapy products) before they begin employment. If the position to which you're applying is covered by this practice, the job application will provide greater detail as to what constitutes tobacco use.

Huntington does not accept solicitation from Third Party Recruiters for any position.

Do you have a Link to where you saw this?

I would like to send a copy of it to the State Attorney General Office where Huntington Bank is located for Clarification.

Reactions: Rossum

D91ICE

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2014
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Amazing, how smoking/non-smoking has turned into a tool for meddling in people's private lives and lifestyle.

Now it seems you have to sign an you're-all-mine deal, just like you with that fella wearing a tail, horns, and a horsehoe on one leg....

Wow. That last part. Described my job to a T. I work as a Sales Manager at a nationwide corporate store. Today after having a decent sales day ( for a Tuesday) they tell me I can't go home until I hit the numbers they goaled for me today. And they tell me this via email. It's like all these corporate big shots can control my life from their iPhone while they're out enjoying dinner. I hate it. Ok venting complete. (Had a rough day)

blondie57

Moved On
Jul 6, 2015
..guess it's to be expected that there will be OVER reaction, before the logic and sanity kick in...When ecigs first started coming out, it was pretty obvious the big tobacco felt threatened and tried to kill it...but they wizened up ...it's adjust or die now for big tobacco...Ecigs are here to stay...it's the Feds that are the threat...the Feds don't have a clue..they are just being manipulated by the anti-smoking lobbies and groups...studies don't support their allegations! We MUST protect our right to VAPE! ..ok..done ranting :evil:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... Ecigs are here to stay...it's the Feds that are the threat...the Feds don't have a clue..they are just being manipulated by the anti-smoking lobbies and groups...studies don't support their allegations! We MUST protect our right to VAPE! ..ok..done ranting :evil:

Don't Delude yourself by thinking that Everyone in Government is Clueless about e-Cigarettes. Or that they are merely Puppets whose Strings are being pulled by ANTZ.

Those who are in Positions of Power to decide e-Cigarette Policies are Extremely Knowledgeable about e-Cigarettes.

Whether they Chose to Display this Knowledge in Public is another Matter.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
@zoiDman... I know things go on behind the gov't veil that the gen pub is not privvy to...not a stretch to figure the gov't will use this info to its own benefit and means... peace , brother

Now that I can 100% agree with.

:)

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...

There are still plenty of jobs like that- in the service industry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread