Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Orlando, FL
www.composed-chaos.com
Here's the official story on today's Senate vote:

Historic anti-smoking vote to give FDA new power - Yahoo! News

From the article:

WASHINGTON – Congress struck the government's strongest anti-smoking blow in decades Thursday with a Senate vote to give regulators new power to limit nicotine in cigarettes, drastically curtail ads and ban candied tobacco products aimed at young people.
Cigarette foes say the changes could cut into the 400,000 deaths every year caused by smoking and reduce the $100 billion in annual health care costs linked to tobacco.
The legislation, one of the most dramatic anti-smoking initiatives since the U.S. surgeon general's warning 45 years ago that tobacco causes lung cancer, would give the Food and Drug Administration authority to regulate the content, marketing and advertising of cigarettes and other tobacco products.

Ivisi

Ivisi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Orlando, FL
www.composed-chaos.com
um, actually it's already passed the house. So yeah, done deal.

Nope, goes back to the House. Mainly for them to give it a cursory look-see and send it on its way, but they still have to accept the changes and pass it on.

Ivisi

//edit: Pelosi has already stated that it should find no real opposition in the House for sending it on as-is. It's in the linked article.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
Nope, goes back to the House. Mainly for them to give it a cursory look-see and send it on its way, but they still have to accept the changes and pass it on.

Ivisi

//edit: Pelosi has already stated that it should find no real opposition in the House for sending it on as-is. It's in the linked article.

But it doesn't go to a full House vote, right? It just goes back to committee, where it'll be approved instantly and sent to the President for signing.

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
Well I know that the stated $100 billion dollars a year health costs of smokers is just a lie ....and what bothers me is that the people making all the lies must also know they are telling lies. It's very nice to have people worrying about my health but why are they telling 'lies'. What is that all about??
I know for a fact I spent less than $50 dollars a year on myself..........and it didn't cost the govt a penny

Can someone tell me what $100 billion divided in to 400,000 equals and that's assuming we're all sick at the same time

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
That would be the hope for every fool that supports this thing.

It wouldn't matter either way. If it goes to a full House vote it'll pass just as quickly as if it just goes to committee. Voting against this thing would be bad for Congressmen facing re-election.

"Congressman X voted AGAINST protecting your CHILDREN from HARMFUL and DEADLY tobacco!!!!"

You get the idea.

Ivisi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Orlando, FL
www.composed-chaos.com
It wouldn't matter either way. If it goes to a full House vote it'll pass just as quickly as if it just goes to committee. Voting against this thing would be bad for Congressmen facing re-election.

"Congressman X voted AGAINST protecting your CHILDREN from HARMFUL and DEADLY tobacco!!!!"

You get the idea.

Oh, I got the idea long ago, my friend.

There is no such thing as common sense to an individual with an agenda.

Ivisi

But it doesn't go to a full House vote, right? It just goes back to committee, where it'll be approved instantly and sent to the President for signing.

It goes to a conference of both houses (generally the senior committee members) to hash out any differences. Since there most likely isn't any big differences they will just send it on to the Prez to sign. If there are big changes then they hash those out and make them, then both houses vote again.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
It goes to a conference of both houses (generally the senior committee members) to hash out any differences. Since there most likely isn't any big differences they will just send it on to the Prez to sign. If there are big changes then they hash those out and make them, then both houses vote again.

Right, right. A conference of members from both bodies. I forgot my basic civics for a second. Thanks for the clarification!

Right, right. A conference of members from both bodies. I forgot my basic civics for a second. Thanks for the clarification!

Reading it looks like there is enough difference between both houses that the House will end up voting on final passage tomorrow. That is expected to pass with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread