hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Good morning. I was pretty mad last night when the wife of my next door neighbor of 20 years sent out a group text to my wife and other friends that they are going to move. The husband and I have become friends over the years and he just came over Monday to borrow something and we talked for a little bit. He never said anything about them looking or anything. He and I talk at least once a week and it really made me mad how I found out. They have been good neighbors and will be missed. I just hope whoever buys it is anywhere as good.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Good morning, hitt :) Good luck with getting good neighbors

Thanks Fran. I knew that my neighbor had mentioned that some day they might want to move to a ranch house as they got older but didn't think it would be this soon and so abrupt. I'm honestly surprised that they are buying another house at this point in their lives. I think he's either 56 or 57 and had told me before that he would like to retire at 62. The new neighborhood they are moving to is fairly expensive for our area and will probably be at least 150k more than what they will get out of their house. Maybe I'm just old fashioned or something but I look forward to the time when my house is paid off and I no longer have a mortgage. I won't say that we won't ever move but it would be nice to not have a mortgage. If we did ever move then I think I might like to go somewhere besides a subdivision where the neighbors aren't so close.

Reactions: FranC

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Thanks Fran. I knew that my neighbor had mentioned that some day they might want to move to a ranch house as they got older but didn't think it would be this soon and so abrupt. I'm honestly surprised that they are buying another house at this point in their lives. I think he's either 56 or 57 and had told me before that he would like to retire at 62. The new neighborhood they are moving to is fairly expensive for our area and will probably be at least 150k more than what they will get out of their house. Maybe I'm just old fashioned or something but I look forward to the time when my house is paid off and I no longer have a mortgage. I won't say that we won't ever move but it would be nice to not have a mortgage. If we did ever move then I think I might like to go somewhere besides a subdivision where the neighbors aren't so close.
    I love the country where the neighbors aren't close at all. It's not that bad here at dd's. She has a huge back yard and the folks in the back put up a nice looking tall fence.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I have this one guy behind me that used to have a fence and tore it down. His shed desperately needs painting and he's not been great about taking care of the place the past three or four years he has lived there. It's not terrible though. The neighbor on the right side of me has been battling cancer on and off for a while so I've mowed for them a couple times and do some weed eating since the kid that mows their lawn doesn't do it. Before he got sick, he was really good at taking care of things.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I have this one guy behind me that used to have a fence and tore it down. His shed desperately needs painting and he's not been great about taking care of the place the past three or four years he has lived there. It's not terrible though. The neighbor on the right side of me has been battling cancer on and off for a while so I've mowed for them a couple times and do some weed eating since the kid that mows their lawn doesn't do it. Before he got sick, he was really good at taking care of things.
    The guy on one of dd had cancer. He passed away about a year ago and his wife hires a guy to mow and weedwack.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Good morning. PT, I just have a hard time imagining me taking on a new mortgage in the future at 55+ years old. We do have a two story house and may want a single level some day but I don’t see that happening until I’m much older unless something happens.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 20, 2008
    Malaga, Spain
    Hitt, you need to do like we did, when we first got married and bought our first house our goal was to pay it off in 10 years. We accomplished it in 6, then kept saving and bought our last house on the golf course with cash. All our rental properties we bought with cash. I understand that there might be a income disparity but put all you can scrounge towards your mortgage and retirement.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Hitt, you need to do like we did, when we first got married and bought our first house our goal was to pay it off in 10 years. We accomplished it in 6, then kept saving and bought our last house on the golf course with cash. All our rental properties we bought with cash. I understand that there might be a income disparity but put all you can scrounge towards your mortgage and retirement.

There's no way I could possibly do what you did with my wife not being able to work. Only having a single income makes things a lot harder. I do however pay extra on my mortgage each month to get it paid quicker. I plan on paying it off even quicker once the youngest finishes college. I've had one or the other in college for the last five years with three more to go. We have done very little home improvements during that time and have taken very few vacations in order to pay as much as we can towards college. In state tuition is about 80k for a four year degree if they live in the dorm and a little less if they get an apartment. We saved some for each of the kids but no where near enough to pay the whole thing. The oldest ended with about 12k in loans and the youngest will end up with some also. I do contribute a decent amount to my 401k and have a small stock account as well as a mutual fund. The mutual fund has become our emergency fund over the years for things like buying the kids cars and most recently replacing the furnace and ac. Right now there's not a lot left in there. It's amazing how expensive kids are from 16-22 or 23. Not to mention with all of the medical issues my wife had over the years we've had to pay a lot out of pocket for copays and deductibles on health insurance.

• Agree

Users who are viewing this thread