Hittman's Hideout

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Yes, sounds like you are doing the right thing in your situation. I just think about a few of our friends that made close to or more than us but still in debt, $4500 house payment 2 cars that they pay $1300 a month on and eat out at nice places 2-3 times a week (of course lunch out everyday), have their yard maintained, newest iphones, $100 a month for cable/HBO ETC... Yes they live well now but they are our age or a little older and no retirement in site.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I learned to save from my father. He never made a lot of money but saved what he could. I try to put what I can into my 401k each week and have a monthly deposit into the mutual fund. We had funds for the kids for college too that were automatic deposits but they only added up to enough to pay for about a year and a half of college so we pay what we can and they can borrow the rest. It won't kill them to pay off some small student loans.

Sorry to be blunt but your friends sound stupid. If I had that kind of money to waste then I'd max out my 401k, invest more, and have a pretty darn large savings. I still have an iPhone 7 and that's fine with me. I don't need the latest and greatest. I'm just proud that my kids are getting a college education. I went in the army and got the GI Bill which paid for some of mine but I went to school at night while working full time during the day and had a small child at the time. Considering where I came from, I feel like I'm doing pretty well. I should have enough in my 401k and investments to retire comfortably.

Reactions: FranC

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 20, 2008
    Malaga, Spain
    Good Morning. Back to the gym, keeping fingers crossed it stays open. We get pockets of infections that go up, mostly in the North like Barcelona and as you all know the reactionary measures they implement is a shotgun approach. But so far other than late night Discos/Bars the gyms are OK.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    We have to go to the in-laws later for my BiL’s bday. It seems like there’s a bday every other week in the summer. Not looking forward to going.
    We did a wedding for dd middle girl but all family parties have been canceled.

Reactions: hittman

Users who are viewing this thread