Hollow SS wick or solid? Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maf2k8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
www.facebook.com
when i first learned how to build a gene style atomizer, I would cut a piece of SS mesh about 1" 1/2 .. I would just roll it up as tight as i could until it would fit into the wick hole nice and smooth ( it wasnt overly tight and wasnt to loose to where there was a gap )

I didnt use no pin/needle/paperclip etc.. and i never had ANY issues..

Since then, I have bought a few 100 dollar and up RBAs that came with pre-rolled wicks.. I have noticed these wicks looked NOTHING like the ones i made.. They were either thin, hollow wicks ( that ship with the AC9 ) or wicks that were super thin and would leave a little gap in the wick hole ( ZAP, Z-Atty U )

I thought, Ok? I guess i am making my wicks wrong? Since these wicks that i got looked nothing like the wicks i made.. Well ever since i started making wicks like the ones i recieved along with my ZAP, AC9, etc.. I have had nothing but problems!

Dry hits, Burning, nasty taste, leaking, etc.. I never had ONE of these issues when i started making wicks the way i made them?

So with that said, I am going back to the way i use to make the wicks.. A big piece of mesh rolled up as tight as possible fitting smoothly into the wick hole.. I am not sure what the difference makes in the different styles/technics but from my experience, the thin/hollow/small wicks have been nothing but headaches for me.

JohnnyPrimus

Aug 11, 2013
Redmond, WA
when i first learned how to build a gene style atomizer, I would cut a piece of SS mesh about 1" 1/2 .. I would just roll it up as tight as i could until it would fit into the wick hole nice and smooth ( it wasnt overly tight and wasnt to loose to where there was a gap )

I didnt use no pin/needle/paperclip etc.. and i never had ANY issues..

Since then, I have bought a few 100 dollar and up RBAs that came with pre-rolled wicks.. I have noticed these wicks looked NOTHING like the ones i made.. They were either thin, hollow wicks ( that ship with the AC9 ) or wicks that were super thin and would leave a little gap in the wick hole ( ZAP, Z-Atty U )

I thought, Ok? I guess i am making my wicks wrong? Since these wicks that i got looked nothing like the wicks i made.. Well ever since i started making wicks like the ones i recieved along with my ZAP, AC9, etc.. I have had nothing but problems!

Dry hits, Burning, nasty taste, leaking, etc.. I never had ONE of these issues when i started making wicks the way i made them?

So with that said, I am going back to the way i use to make the wicks.. A big piece of mesh rolled up as tight as possible fitting smoothly into the wick hole.. I am not sure what the difference makes in the different styles/technics but from my experience, the thin/hollow/small wicks have been nothing but headaches for me.

This. Especially with lower gauge mesh. Thicker wicks seem to wick better for me, and have the benefit of being easier to coil on to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread