Home Test for Nicotine Blood Levels ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

webtaxman

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Kate,

Ok, I am ready to order a test kit, but want to make sure you and I (and others) are using the same test kit. I'm not even sure what Joanna(?) is using. Could you let me know (confirm) which test kit you used, and the link to purchase th same from same retailer?

I am an an ex-chainsmoker, but now a current chain vaperer.

My average "strength" liquid is 18 MG. That average will lower as I currently cut the new high of 26 MG 50/50. I used to cut 36MG 50/50.

Thanks!

P.S. I hope Kreel responds--I enjoy his comments. Really I do.

Mike

Last edited:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Webtaxman, I used this place to buy from, they have both saliva and urines tests, I did one of each. Shipping is very fast.
http://www.testsymptomsathome.com/f...--tobacalert&gclid=CNuS1fK38ZsCFQJ2xgodIneR-g
http://www.testsymptomsathome.com/f...--tobacalert&gclid=CNuS1fK38ZsCFQJ2xgodIneR-g

You can also buy from the Nymox company, five kits for $45 approx, but Joanna1010 found out they ship very slow!! Look back on some of my posts, there are other links you can follow. But be forwarned, the 'red bars' on either test are very differing colors, but the first colored bar even if very very very faint is the result of your test. I also had one that was no good, no color at all, my loss I guess ($20!), no guarantees with them. You can see in my pics how faint the colors are. Will be interesting to see your results! I just cut down to 18mg/ml, my test went down also, so was very happy about that. I think anyone that uses above 24mg/ml will max out the tests, or someone who vapes and smokes probably would also.

Check back to about Post #68 on this thread, there are some links to other tests, to Nymox Corp., etc.

Last edited:

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
My results are in and I will create a new thread in General E-smoking discussion and then link to it here.

Edit: or I'll just copy and paste

First things first.....a little history.

I was a 2-3 pack a day smoker for 19.5 years. I have been vaping for 2 months an average of 3ml of 36mg juice. I needed to get some blood work done and figured I'd get a cotinine level while I was at it. Now the medical facility was quite helpful but it took 2 days of phone calls and stopping in to get them to do this.(apparently testing of actual levels is not very common) They finally did some research and found out what to do and where to send it. The results are in.

I vaped 80-90mg's (or more) in the days leading up to the test. I drove for and hour and a half before I walked into the office at 4;30 p.m.(nicotine levels are lowest in the morning so I waited until later)Note: I chain vape when I'm driving.

Here are the blood test results

nicotine and cotinine metabolite

test status......final
nicotine...13
cotinine...247
3-oh-cotinine S/P....66

all units are ng/ml

NOTE: Test information..Nicotine and metabolites, serum/plasma analysis performed by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry

reference intervals ng/ml

Nicotine unexposed user level would be less than 2........active tobacco user would be 30-50 (mine is 13)

Cotinine unexposed user would be less than 2.....active tobacco user 200-800 (mine is 247)

3OHcot unexposed user would be less than 2.....active tobacco user 100-500 (mine is 66)

As you can see the cotinine level is the only one that even reached tobacco user levels and was still at the very bottom. The other levels were well below tobacco user levels. This is very good news IMO. Maybe some of you were hoping for high levels but this is proof in my case that these are very successful products. It also explains why I could drop to 10mg a couple days ago and not notice.

(of further interest is the fact that I constantly wipe juice on my hands and even lick the juice off my fingers quite regularly. Although I would never condone such behavior as everyone is different. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME)

Last edited:

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
Thanks, happily, for sharing your detailed results from actual blood tests. Seems to me that the lab results fit well with previous expectations (as gathered from Ruyan’s research and user experiences on this board).
Note that a value of 247 ng/ml cotinine from blood testing would correspond to ~ 1250 ng/ml in urine and probably outmax the Nymox‘s home tests on urine (which has a cutoff at 1000 ng/ml in urine). As pointed out by Kate51, higher levels are in range of the Nymox tests when salvia is applied, however.

Thought I’ll add the link to the thread on happily’s blood test lab results for nicotine & cotinine levels, [thread=30623]here[/thread]. :)

webtaxman

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Yes, thanks happily from me too. I could be wrong, but blood tests generally present more accurate testing results than any alternative (absent DNA/hair follicles). That's why you hear that you should never choose a blood test if arrested for DUI! It leaves little room for error; thus, it's more incriminating. I know some will not agree with what I just said. LOL

Only 3 ML a day? Heck, 3 ML almost accounts for all my spillage, bad cart filling, etc., and is a normal day for me. I use at least 6 ML a day. How much I actually vape is never consistent. But pacifier, chain vaper, etc., come to mind. 3 ML will fill up 3 801 carts. That's 3-4 hours for me, to finish those carts.

It should not matter so much the amount (ML), but the strength in MG correct? I am confused on that part:confused:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Webtaxman, the cotinine testing we've been doing either saliva or urine are also accurate, but the blood or "plasma" tests would serve well for someone with higher possible levels. The Nymox tests are restrictive because they only read up to 1000 or now there's a 2000 ng/ml cotinine. All tests are accurate, however, JFI. Cotinine levels are the base standard for all.

webtaxman

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
I got my test kit today, but I am going to wait a few days as I am not vaping my normal behavior today. I got some new juice 36 mg, and I was trying it out before cutting it 50/50. I honestly cannot tell the difference between 36mg, 24mg, 16mg, or 12 mg--the latter being my most consistent amount. I guess that is a good thing.

Mike

DaBrat

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Back end of GA
www.myspace.com
You folks are great... Think I wanna give it 90 days and then test.. Oh heck maybe 60. I am currently vaping 18 mg first thing in the a.m. and cutting that to about 9-12 during the work week (I smoke robotically while working at my desk through the day). I am a former 2 pack a day smoker and results putting me anywhere near those of a non-smoker would make my dreams come true.

Can't wait to get my test!

webtaxman

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
It is not easy to see right in front of me either. Nothing like Kate51 shows.

TB, to me, I was wondering if there was any nicotine in these devices at all when I first started. So I chose the highest MG content I could find. Chain vaped, and still had/have cravings once I tossed the analogs.

SO I can look at the results 3 ways:

1) YAY! I'm actually getting nicotine
2) Darn! I was hoping it was in a lessor amount.
3) Ignore the test and get a blood test

I will try the latter as my Doc has been trying to get me to do a fasting blood test for over 2 years now (The lab slip is at the lab, he had to renew it though LOL) I'll make a deal with him :thumbs:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
webtaxman, you did max, I can see it barely but it is there. I have a feeling you're not happy?..sorry :(But as you said there are other ways to look at this. Look at what you are not getting with analogs, and really, that reading of cotinine in not very high (up to 1000). It wouldn't have covered what two or three packs a day would have been. But it is higher than I would expect at 18mg juice. Maybe you're doing bigger puffs than I do? Everyone is different.
So a person would have to really make up your mind about what you want to accomplish, first off get away from combustion of plant leaves and chemical bilge. Still the most important, my book. I'll bet at this level you feel a heck of a lot better doing what you are doing. Thanks for doing a test!
I was having trouble with my JS today, juice was too thin, eeyugh! I kept thinking no one on earth would put up with this if you didn't have a sense of purpose about it, sometimes it just isn't fun. Easy to forget why we do this, and the alternatives! And I'm only 5 3/4 months into it.

Scooter Bob, your question is fair. It would depend if they asked if I used tobacco, the answer would be no. I only use a tiny little bit of what used to be in it! :thumbs: I hope they don't get wise and start asking "are you using tobacco or a derivative"! Because what they are asking is if we are exposing ourselves to thousands of toxic chemicals or known carcinogens, not realatively harmless in low volumes of nicotine, that's what they really want to know, so we can tell them ~ NO MHO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread