Home Test for Nicotine Blood Levels ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
To my knowledge, no one has reported a test completed using lozenges, etc., or patches.
But...the tests either saliva or urine Nymox tests will show any presence of nicotine by testing the cotinine levels (nicotine in system).
They are supposed to be quite accurate by these measurements. I have found that to be true!
There are many links in this thread to sources of tests to purchase, will cost around $20 with shipping.
Let us know!
Kate

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
gointomexico, thanks for posting, would be really interesting to see the results for a whole family. It would be great if you would want to share!!
You didn't mention the density of your juice, etc., please come back.

Wanted to bring attention to this thread again, if possible, there have been no posts since January.
Was fortunate to stumble across that blog and thread of a tester who's sharing her test results, please read and take part if you would.
Best of luck!

Last edited:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
thanks for the bump katie--for anyone who wants complete details, documenting everything on my blog. but regardless, looks like i'm maxin' the nicalerts out so far.

Regardless, Belletrist, you are still way below what a smoker would have shown in those tests!! So a good thing. My numbers right now suit me just fine, I'm at 100-200ng/ml cotinine, about the same as with second-hand smoke. That's with 12mg/ml juice and have cut down on my sessions, using from 1 to 2 ml of juice a day. A 10ml bottle lasts me about a week. That's pretty good for a heavy smoker, eh?!
If you read through some of the attachments in this thread, you'll see some pretty good charts to explain the difference between smoking and vaping nicotine levels.
There is a definite drawback with these Nymox tests, and that is they show a very low level cotinine, however, they are really the only test available that will indicate your actual level of metabolized nicotine in Cotinine.
Other tests indicate only that you are using nicotine or are exposed to smoking.
So the only other alternative is a visit to Dr's office for a blood test, some of us can't afford it!!(Me!) so Nymox (NikAlert of TobacAlert) relatively cheap at $15-20.

Last edited:

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
It's not about being rude at all. It's about anyone who was an analog smoker worrying about the amount of nicotine that they need. Nicotine wears off so fast, that to actually OD on the levels available to us, you would have to chuff on two screwdrivers and a GG simultaneously non-stop for over an hour. Now how stupid is that?

wait I did that my first week not using analogs:rolleyes:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/58614-my-first-cart-mod-901-a.html

Last edited:

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
Kreel:

True to form in so many of your posts on this forum …. You are caustic, negative, not helpful and tend to jump to a response without much thought as to the reason for a question.
If you think the question is silly, why do you waste time responding to it ??
Get another hobby and quit putting people down for asking honest questions and realize that NO ONE will hold it against you if you just keep quiet when you don’t have anything positive to contribute.

And yes, I am well aware there are many links to every subject/question on this forum. But with such a specific request for information, I simply do not have the time to sort through all the links.

Now … relieved of steam … let me clarify the reason for this question.
I am IN NO WAY concerned about the “safety” of ecigs vs. analogs.
I am interested in the science of the effect of nicotine in the body and the addiction/habit of smoking.
Why ?? Because, I hope to use the ecigs to eventually quit smoking by slowly scaling back on vaping or nicotine content.

Cigarette smoking if FULL of variables ranging from the brand smoked, brand nicotine content, the smokers style of smoking/inhaling, the “hand-to-mouth” habit satisfaction, etc.
All of these factors figure into nicotine levels in the body and the “comfort” of the “smoker or quitter.”

Among the many things I’m curious to know is:
1) Are the ecigs I’m using giving me the same nicotine levels as the analogs I smoked, even though I seem to inhale differently and get different levels of “vape” with each draw?
2) Since vaping is so much more convenient that smoking, am I “over smoking” and getting more nicotine than I did with analogs?
These questions could be easily answered if you could measure actual nicotine levels.

Additionally, as vaping is a “new science,” many prospective vapers, curious smokers and disgusted non-smokers, etc., will have questions about how similar vs. dissimilar the “nicotine habit” is. It would be nice to have some “hard-core, scientific information” regarding my own personal experience with both.

And FYI, Keel, I do not work for the FDA but I do have a research nursing background.

Short and not so sweet:

There are no silly questions only stupid answers!

Yes, it’s a known fact cigarettes kill and e-cig may not. EOS:cool:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/58614-my-first-cart-mod-901-a.html

Last edited:

irish8283

Jan 26, 2010
Florida
I find myself curious about my nic lvls vaping vs analogs. Although i have absolutely no interest in smoking analogs ever again ... I think i will be trying a few tests in the near future. I haven't been a member long but i have read countless threads on many different topics (Insomnia is a .....). I would have never been able to quit analogs without the vast knowledge and information Ive gained on this forum. Thank you everybody for the great input and sharing of useful information :). I will post my test results when as soon as i get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread