Hoping for some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I haven't been building for very long, I have a couple of rta's and an rda that I've really enjoyed, all of my builds so far have been on 24ga SS so that's what I've been used to and have gotten good at building. Today I picked up some Kanthal Clapton wire - 26ga + 32ga outer - my build was on a 2.5mm bit with 6 wraps and came out to .9 ohm for a single coil deck. I'm aiming for a .5ohm build. I don't want to do a 3 wrap coil as it would be way too small in my deck. Using the Clapton wire, how can I get my .5ohm build that I'm used to with the SS wire?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
You sort of answered the question yourself. Kanthal simply has higher resistance than SS. So if your Clapton comes in at 0.9 ohm, you would have to either drop the number of wraps or decrease the ID to something like 2 mm. Not a lot of fun to wick but it would reduce the amount of metal in the coil.

The simplist setup would be to use the same 26/33 in SS and that would come in at ~0.5 ohm. The real question is why you feel the need to build to a specific resistance. Are you using this on a mech mod where you can't adjust the power like you can on a regulated mod? And if you're on a regulated mod what difference does the resistance make in actual use. You just use less power to get essentially the same vape you would on a 0.5 ohm coil at a higher wattage selection.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The problem you’ve got is that while the clapton wire is physically thicker because of the wrap, it’s actually higher gauge. The wrap provides no electrical conduction. It’s just a heat sink. If all you can fit is 3 wraps you may not have room. I suggest using a wire calculator app (there are many in many OSes)

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
The problem you’ve got is that while the clapton wire is physically thicker because of the wrap, it’s actually higher gauge. The wrap provides no electrical conduction. It’s just a heat sink. If all you can fit is 3 wraps you may not have room. I suggest using a wire calculator app (there are many in many OSes)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I was just concerned about vaping the 0.9ohm coil at 30 watts and 7 volts because I'm not used to my bolts being above 4.5.
A .9phm coil will want to be closer to 12w. I try to keep my volts below 4. I’m vaping @2.35v atm on a .18ohm fused clapton @ 30w

• Useful
Reactions: VapourFlavour

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That's part of my problem, 12W is just too cool of a vape for me. I'll try a different build tomorrow to see if I can get the ohms down. Thanks!
A high ohm coil will probably burn before you get a warm vape out of it but if you’re tosssing the coil anyway it won’t hurt to mess with it. Maybe start at 12 and slowly work your way up and see if you get something you like

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I haven't been building for very long, I have a couple of rta's and an rda that I've really enjoyed, all of my builds so far have been on 24ga SS so that's what I've been used to and have gotten good at building. Today I picked up some Kanthal Clapton wire - 26ga + 32ga outer - my build was on a 2.5mm bit with 6 wraps and came out to .9 ohm for a single coil deck. I'm aiming for a .5ohm build. I don't want to do a 3 wrap coil as it would be way too small in my deck. Using the Clapton wire, how can I get my .5ohm build that I'm used to with the SS wire?
Might like to post your coil question in a more appropriate/informative forum:
Coil Builds

Tbone3396

Oct 18, 2018
Question: i have a smok Priv V8 and i just bought a new coil. The guy at the vape store told me any "baby" coil would work. But I put in the new coil and whenever i attempt to hit it, the light blinks 15 times and a small amount of vapor comes out. I looked on smok's website and it is saying that its a voltage issue. Ive had this kit for a little over 4 months now and this is the first time Im experiencing this problem. If anyone has any advice to help me solve this problem it would be much appreciated!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Question: i have a smok Priv V8 and i just bought a new coil. The guy at the vape store told me any "baby" coil would work. But I put in the new coil and whenever i attempt to hit it, the light blinks 15 times and a small amount of vapor comes out. I looked on smok's website and it is saying that its a voltage issue. Ive had this kit for a little over 4 months now and this is the first time Im experiencing this problem. If anyone has any advice to help me solve this problem it would be much appreciated!
You should have your own thread in new members for this, but I suspect your voltage is still set for your old coil and the coil you got sold has a radically different voltage. Another possibility is you didn’t put it in right. A third possibility is the new coil is bad or fake.

Welcome to the forum btw :)

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,
Which coil did you buy?
What battery are you using in the SMOK? (Brand and model please)

cheers
I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread