Hot glue/epoxy removal advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
idaho
Not to sure if this is the appropriate forum to post this so if it isn't feel free to move.

I have a couple of the "cheaper" VV box mods. A couple of the 510 connecters pulled loose when I was taking my carto off. I would like to try to solder it back on but the connecting wires are buried in hot glue. I was wondering if anyone had a
simple(ish) way to remove the glue from the wires so they can be re-connected. I have tried picking it out but that doesn't seem to do much good at getting the wires exposed.

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
I had to replace the switch on my madvapes vv boxmod. I tried picking at the glue with tweezers but gave up on it. Then I thought, hey this is probably hotmelt glue so I heated it up with a blow drier and it came out in big chunks. A few times of heating it, then picking out what what would come off got it all out to expose the switch.

alamor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
idaho
I had to replace the switch on my madvapes vv boxmod. I tried picking at the glue with tweezers but gave up on it. Then I thought, hey this is probably hotmelt glue so I heated it up with a blow drier and it came out in big chunks. A few times of heating it, then picking out what what would come off got it all out to expose the switch.

That sounds like a good idea, I will give it a try thanks!!!

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Use dynamite! Shoot video. Post video. Explosives are cool!

On my car forum the standard response would be to use a BFH (Big Effin Hammer)

I jest. Why not just order a couple new connectors and install from scratch? They only cost $2

Yeah. +1

You need to solder NEW wire onto the connectors anyway... then run it to the switch. Splice it on the other side of the connection if you don't want to mess with the circuit board connection since it's probably hot glued in too. Use shrink wrap if you have any to cover the splice. Watch out that you don't short the atty connector since you have to solder the ground to the inside of the shell to get it back into the hole.

I build those vv mods from kits... no hot glue though. Recommend you get some good non-conductive epoxy. The whole kit is $18.00 new and is a fun experiment.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Not to sure if this is the appropriate forum to post this so if it isn't feel free to move.

No it's not. But aren't you glad it didn't get moved? :laugh: You got some great advice.

I have a box mod sitting here with the exact same problem. So glad I read this.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
I have an older box mod that is completely potted in hot melt glue. I'd have to have to repair it. One whole side of the plastic box is a huge mass of hot melt! There's room for the batteries in the other side.

The Solution:

Use dynamite! Shoot video. Post video. Explosives are cool!

On my car forum the standard response would be to use a BFH (Big Effin Hammer)

I jest.

:D

alamor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
idaho
Thanks for all the GREAT advice!!! I especially like the "dynamite" idea. If I had some I guarantee I would give it a shot, and post the result here :laugh: I was frustraded and posted a WTB ad in the Classies. An AWESOME ECF member sold me two complete VV boxes with the LED displays for $30 shipped and included a set of AW IMR batteries. I am set and the other box is going in the trash!! Best $30 I have ever spent!!!! Thanks KWALA :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread