How come... !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
Ok, this might sound weird but I have discovered that if you press the button of the PrecisePlus kinda pushing it towards an end; the wall, so to speak, pushing it also to a side, it delivers more power, making a better connection, sort of...

I have a 18,490 battery and using the "officially-recommended" configuration...

A friend of mine is experiencing the same with his kicked 18,650...

Weird... I know, but there you go... !!!

What do you guys think...

They are correctly configured and totally clean, no problems there... I know this makes no sense, but... Mmmm...

How come... !?

Try this and check if it's the same...

:ohmy:

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
I have definitely found that too, but only with the Kick. When the Kick begins cutting off because of sensing the lower voltage of the battery, I can eke out some more life by "side pressing" the button. I can't imagine why this would work and have often thought about posting your same question. One would think any button press would be as good as any other.

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
Right...

Maybe someone should measure the difference, power-wise... And come up with a reason...

Anyway, thing is "I'm not alone", heeee...

Kinda cool, though; it's like a "turbo feature", ahahahahahhhhh...

I discovered that as my AW IMRs were a bit old and the difference is now 'big', same as with the kick. Try it without a Kick in case of batteries which are weak and you'll see...

Maybe David could chime in... Or any other who has a theory to support this "side pressing" effect; difference... !?

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
I can see the difference always being there, that makes sense. But why? Could it be that when side pressing the button makes more contact with its housing? Would having a squeaky clean button and housing make a difference?
It's time for me to sleep. Tomorrow and Friday we'll dig deeper. Better yet, you could solve it while I sleep. :)

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
The PrecisePlus has a dual grounding switch, both via friction contact where it slides through the bottom shield and with the spring to button to body contact. Putting side pressure on it is increasing the load on the sidewalls of the shield to button connection.

Stainless steel does oxidize, albeit at a very slow rate compared to aluminum, brass etc so a periodic cleaning is in order. You can wrap a piece of 400, 600 or 800 grit sand paper around a sharpie marker and run it through your shield in a twirling motion. Don't do it too much as you don't want to take material off, just enough to put a little cross hatch in it. You can also clean the ends of the spring with 400-800 grit. An eraser works good for in the shield, on the button sides (not the Rhodium contact though, don't ever clean that with more then a soft cloth) and the spring ends and spring contact areas.

Just a reminder, don't sand or polish your rhodium contacts though, they never oxidize or corrode, just wipe those with a soft cloth.

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I noticed this a long time ago too, and while I know the official position on adding Noalox or Vaseline to the sides of the button where it glides up and down against the shield is a "no, don't need to do that." I personally find that when I do it anyway, every hit is a turbo-hit and no more fiddling with what angle I'm depressing the button at. FWIW works for me. Yes you do need to clean out the gunk every month or so, but it's not like I do anything super-intensive, I just wash it with some warm water and soap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread