HOW DO I BUILD THIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimbus007

Feb 17, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Hey members, I just recently acquired some Titanium wire through a good friend of mine because she recommended I use it on my 200W SnowWolf since it has temp. control on it. I have never built on anything other than Nichrome and Kanthal so this is brand new to me. Also, from what I have heard is that you cant "dry fire" the wire unless it has cotton. So I can't heat it up to compress the wires together. I am not sure what is true anymore so I'm here asking for help! Please get back to me with some knowledge A$AP since I have my tools, 24G Titanium wire and rda in front of me waiting to be touched.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Hi Nimbus. I'll start with my experience. I own a SW200 and acquired some Ti wire because I wanted an alternative to Ni. I tried about 20 different builds on 5 different RDA's and could not get the coil to fire right with the Snow Wolf. Even at 212ºF and 5W with the cotton soaked, it was firing way too hot and the coils would actually glow (this is really bad).

Got advice from everyone on the forum who partook in the thread, the consensus was that the SW200 is not good with Ti wire. I did some research on Google and it seemed that very few, maybe even just me, were using Ti with the Snow Wolf. Nickel works like a charm as the SW200 is designed to detect and work with Ni.

You may have a different experience than me, so it's worth a shot. For TC, you will want to do spaced coils. No compressing needed. DO NOT DRY BURN TITANIUM.

I would recommend starting with 7 wraps of your 24g Ti wire on a 3mm mandrel. This should come out to 0.22Ω with a single coil. Don't put the leads in the post holes as TC requires a very secure connection, so wrap the leads around the screws and screw them down.

Titanium has a higher coefficient of resistance than Nickel, so you will want to start by setting the temperature at least 100ºF below that of Nickel. I would start around 300ºF and work your way up.

Last edited:
Reactions: sanjosse
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread