How do I start vaping at work, first day

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazob

Jul 28, 2011
Melbourne Australia
Do I just toot away at my desk (open plan office) till someone asks me to stop. Do I check and clear with management / HR. Or do I just walk outside every so often and vape where I used to smoke. Probably been asked before but Ive got to get my post count over 5 to buy some more juice, long tinme lurker but tend not to post unless I have something to add

Tennovan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2011
Texas
What I did was show a few people and then demonstrated how it worked. People saw me blowing clouds of vapor and were interested... just make sure they understand that you're not blowing smoke and that it doesn't smell (well most flavors don't). After that, you should be good to vape away unless someone has a problem with it.

You'll also get tons of approval if you tell them it can help you quit smoking -- whether or not you intend to quit vaping is a different matter though ;)

P1NkY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Planet Earth
Check with someone first. Especially if they have ANY sort of smoking/tobacco policy. My Company went smoke free, and within 2 days there was a memo saying electronic cigarettes were included in the 'don't use' list.

MAN that's gotta suck!
That makes me madder than a one-legged waitress workin' at the IHOP.
Sorry about that. I'll shut up now.

Last edited:

hendextall

Aug 10, 2011
London, On
I just got my first e-cigarette yesterday and was showing it to a friend at work. I didn't really feel comfortable using it inside, but wanted to show it to him. Just as I took a puff, the head of our department walked by. He was really interested in it and said he thought it would be ok to use inside. But I've still been going outside, it's too nice out to stay inside all day.

Boodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Las Vegas, NV, USA
altcig.com
Prolly need to check on the policy. For stealth vaping, there are some interesting methods in the travel section. BTW - the double-inhale technique doesn't work with KBV juices at 70/30 in either mix VG/PG or PG/VG. Their juice creates vapor clouds. High PG mix in other juices stealth well. Luckily, I'm allowed to vape in my office. Very happy not to be standing out in the heat for a nic fix.

madison360

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Emerald Isle, NC
Check with someone first. Especially if they have ANY sort of smoking/tobacco policy. My Company went smoke free, and within 2 days there was a memo saying electronic cigarettes were included in the 'don't use' list.

Wow...my boss is SOOOO supportive. That sucks. I'm sorry! :(

light487

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Sydney, Australia
When I received my first ecig I showed my manager. I explained what it was and the purpose of it. I showed her how it looked while it worked etc She fully supports my usage of this device (even the weird looking mods). Most of the people on my floor know what it is and are fine with it but there's always one or more people who are die-hard anti-smoking people and anything that looks like smoking must therefore be smoking. There were complaints made to the head of health in our organisation but these complaint were squashed by my manager's support of my vaping.

If I had failed to get the support of my manager before I started, then in all likelihood, I would not be vaping at my desk right now almost 2 years after I started.

Torqueguy

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2011
Central Virginia
I would start outside. Let people know what it is. Once they're familiar with it, some will ask you to help with a spouse or family member. Then slowly start vaping prudently at your desk. Most people like the nutty aroma.

I have 10 employees that smoked. 4 now are vaping. Its really cool.

The first few got my hand me down 510's and Rivas, then bought better ones and helped coach the next two.

We swap e-juice during 8:30am production meetings daily. Most everybody agrees that the IKV gold 24pg is the best. My bottle goes down whenever i go out for lunch. Its the juice bandits i tell you

Good luck

RIMP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I work in a hospital so I either leave the property or sneak in the bathroom, lol. I take a lot of potty breaks!! If the office just happens to be empty I will sometimes sneak a couple of stealth vapes.

+1 for the potty and stealth vaping:)

I was completely taken off guard with my office. I'm a senior sys admin and when I decided to start my endeavor into PVs I started telling my peers at the office about e-cigs. The normal "it looks like it but its just vapor", etc, etc. Being an IT shop, everyone got a kick out of USB charging part. "You plug that into your computer?! That's awesome!!!" The Director of IT was even in on it. Then I said "You know what they call regular cigarettes? Analogs!" They died laughing and said "That's awesome!!". So, I ran up to the 7-11 and bought my first crappy nJoy for $20 and came back to the office all gitty. The rest of the day they were trying to get me to vape in various places. Now, I just vape at my desk! I asked "You're sure?" when I first started and they said "What? Am I going to be offended by your water vapor?". Sometimes I vape in quick meetings, etc. I tend not to leave the IT department doing it though. I know it's safe there, I spend most of my time behind my desk, and I don't want to loose a good thing.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I would call it a personal vaporizer, be honest about it as an alternative to using tobacco products.

I'm fortunate, been around long enough that people generally assume that if I am doing something it must be okay. I did read our company policy on tobacco, which was clearly focused on smoking and chewing.

Since I mainly vape diy vanilla tobacco, the only comment I get is that it smells nice, like vanilla custard :)

I use my mod freely in my office, at long staff meetings, and meetings with vendors. I use it when strolling in the halls, though not on production floors.

Crazy Canuck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'm going back to work on Monday after my 3 week vacation, and haven't decided how I'm going to go about the vaping at work. For me, the thing I loved about smoking, was that it got me away from my desk for 10 minutes to relax, and chat with other people in the smoking area outside our building.

While I'm sure my boss may like the "increased productivity" of me vaping at my desk, I think I'll continue to go outside and enjoy the social aspect.

For everyone I'm sure it's different, but unless you're going to stealth vape, I'd check with your supervisor/boss/whoever before openly vaping in your work space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread