Status
Not open for further replies.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
BRAVO! Your doing great! the hard days are the first 3 again at 14 and again at 1 month.

I vaped and smoked both for a couple of months. I needed some higher nic juice to quit the cigs completely. I was (and am) using 24mg most of the time, but I have some 30mg juice that I drip into an atomizer when I feel a cig craving. For me, that worked very well.

As soon as I started doing that, I quit. I still had 6 and a half packs of cigs, and hadn't really been planning to make myself quit. But once I got that higher nic juice, quitting was easy.

I didn't really notice any difference on day 3 or 14 or 30. Maybe the fact that I smoked and vaped both for a couple of months changed that for me.

I still have a couple of packs here at the house, and I'm around smokers on a regular basis, but I don't need to smoke anymore. For the most part, I don't use the 30mg nic juice anymore, either. I'm probably using it for a few vapes about once every 3 days. The 24 nic juice is doing fine for me, and I'm already starting to think about how I can move down to a lower level.

I have a very minor "I'd like a real cigarette" thing going pretty much all the time. I figure that's pretty much going to be there forever. It's not bad, and I can just vape and ignore it most of the time, and use the higher nic juice if/when I get a stronger urge.

Congrats to sandybeach!:)

MegaBee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
Queensland Australia
I quit smoking (pack a day) two weeks ago with the patch (put it on the night before, when you go to bed so you dont have a big craving in the morning). Its gone surprisingly well, but I still miss cigarettes and just yesterday, ordered a var voltage vaporiser.
I started the same way with patches, but by day 3 I still felt I had lost my best freind but the cravings where minimal, just a sense of loss, so I ordered an e-cig, threw away the patches when I got the e-cig and havent looked back. Im very happy and now I have a new best freind and it doesnt stink up me and my house so we get along much better lol

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Thanks for all this great advice and for sharing your stories! It really helps to hear what you have gone through.

I will watch the rest of the week, Day 14 and 30 for cues, thanks Dankie.

I think this may have been easier for me this time because I used to be a pack-and-a-half a day smoker, from the time I was 12 until 10 years ago. It was very difficult for me to quit the first time. I used the patch, Welbutrin, and gum, and still had bad withdrawals. But in 2001 I quit for 10 years.

I just started smoking again this May. So I have only been smoking for 5 months. And only 1/2 a pack a day or so.

This is pretty crazy. The first day has been a breeze. No withdrawals at all, so far.
Sandy

Last edited:

MegaBee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
Queensland Australia
Awww do we really have to think about quitting e-cigs? I love my new best friend and I've just finished my first 10ml bottle of coffee medium strength. I have 5 more bottles of assorted flavours all med str. My next juice orders will be low nicotine, but even when I get to zero nic I know I will still vape! I love it and better still I don't stink or laugh like an old whistle!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rimau

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2011
I have no idea where I'm at
Sandy -- that was the original idea of the e-cig, so that the habit of putting something in your mouth, and blowing out something resembling smoke was replaced by a much healthier alternative to analogues, and at the same time you could wean yourself off of the nic without heavy withdrawal.

As was said before, go up or down on the nic scale until you can cut your cravings and stay happy, then start lowering the nic level until you are vaping 0mg, then you might find you still really enjoy the mouth/vapor/taste thing and keep vaping anyway, as many members do.

Saludos.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Still no analogs as of today! Amazingly easy to quit with e-cigarettes. And I can vape in the house! Wow; no smoking for 2 days and no cravings or withdrawal symptoms at all!!

Now I have a cartomizer question. Has anyone used the Resurrector or Boge cartomizer? I am trying to figure out which one to buy; I want a regular not XL capacity.

Sandy

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Somebody "liked" something from my post on this thread. Just wanted to update y'all!

After about a month I tossed the pack that was sitting in my car. It got stale! I was taking one every once in awhile, then they tasted so bad, I threw them out.
It's about 5 months later now. I started with 18 mg., then got down to 12 mg., and now I use 6 mg.!
Vaping rules :) :wub:

binspector

Moved On
Apr 28, 2012
LA
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Moved On

tica02

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Minne-soda!
I'm so glad to hear how amazing you are doing. I tried everything to quit too, patches, chantix, welbutrin, gum. That stuff is seriously all a joke compared to vaping. I literally just forgot to smoke a cigarette. I'm 11 days in and I've never quit for this long in my life.

We went out to the bar last night and I've never been at a bar and not smoked. Someone even handed me their cigarette so they could try my pv and I held it up in the air like I was afraid of it - I wasn't even tempted to take a drag. I can't even tell you how amazing that is for me. I have never had willpower like that ever.

Keep it up Sandy, you're doing awesome!

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Woo Hoo, Tica! Fantastic!!!!!!!! For a couple of weeks, I let myself smoke as much as I wanted. If I got stressed I would smoke a couple. That made it easy for me to quit. It just started tasting so gross, and vaping tasted so good, that I just lost interest. Occasionally I think it might be nice to try one, but I haven't, since December 2011.
Sandy

kia2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2012
USA
Sandybeach, if you want to quit smoking, then vaping is probably the easiest way to go about it - in my opinion. I did the patches, gum, and cold turkey in the past. They were temporary fixes and very bad ones, at that. I scratched at the patches because I never felt I had enough to keep the nicotine addiction at bay. Was way to easy to get too much nicotine chewing more and more pieces of gum. Cold turkey just made me jittery, on edge, and mean, and I always craved cigarettes - I even dreamed about them.

Switching to an e-cigarette helped me immediately. I was still getting the nicotine, still getting the visual, but not the nasties, of smoke and I was still getting the ritual, the hand to mouth action or the false security of a cigarette between my fingers while sipping morning coffee or having that "ending" to a full meal. When I felt a key moment craving coming on, I would snatch up my e-cig with a cartridge of 18mg nicotine, the strongest I was able to endure without getting woozy or nauseous. The key to vaping is the long, slow drag instead of the fast draw puff before inhaling, I think.

I'm still using my electronic 808 Volts and a Volt X2. Now, my highest nicotine, for those key moment cravings, is 12mg and all my others are either 6mg or 0 nicotine. When I'm ready to actually give up the 39-year-old ritual, then I will give up vaping. I will be long at 0mg for everything before that happens, as that ritual is still satisfying to me.

The only key ingredient in quitting, is wanting to quit. Finding the right tool is secondary.

I vape, but I do not smoke, and there is a very big difference between the two. Yes, I consider myself a non smoker.

Last edited:

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Thanks for all this great advice and for sharing your stories! It really helps to hear what you have gone through.

I will watch the rest of the week, Day 14 and 30 for cues, thanks Dankie.

I think this may have been easier for me this time because I used to be a pack-and-a-half a day smoker, from the time I was 12 until 10 years ago. It was very difficult for me to quit the first time. I used the patch, Welbutrin, and gum, and still had bad withdrawals. But in 2001 I quit for 10 years.

I just started smoking again this May. So I have only been smoking for 5 months. And only 1/2 a pack a day or so.

This is pretty crazy. The first day has been a breeze. No withdrawals at all, so far.
Sandy

Aww, Baldr, thanks for liking my post. I am still off cigarettes. I am now using 6 mg, on a variable voltage box mod - the Varicool, from Smoktek. Rob at Smoktek is awesome to deal with! I like to buy my juices from Alt-Cig and Nite Lite Vapor. Boodle has her own Alt-Cig thread, as does Cool Air from Nite Lite Vapor. Both Sunny from Alt-Cig, and Gene from Nite Lite are a pleasure!!!!

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Aww, Baldr, thanks for liking my post. I am still off cigarettes. I am now using 6 mg, on a variable voltage box mod - the Varicool, from Smoktek. Rob at Smoktek is awesome to deal with! I like to buy my juices from Alt-Cig and Nite Lite Vapor. Boodle has her own Alt-Cig thread

Guys I am just amending this a bit. I don't buy from Nite Lite Vapor anymore - the last few months, he only has the storefront open for a couple of hours for a day or two per month. Also he would not correct a mistake I made in ordering when I emailed him immediately to fix my mistake. After it was shipped, I asked him to replace the juice I ordered mistakenly, and I got a real earful about what a pain I am. It was an order with over $150 of juices.

I also really like Kick Bass. Wonderful company to deal with, and they have a lot of great flavors.

There are too many vendors here that really excel in customer service to bother with one that doesn't, even if their product is good. There are many others, most mom and pop, and they know how to keep us coming back. They go the extra mile.

I quit smoking analogs cold turkey over 2 years ago. The cravings never went away for me but I stayed off until my boyfriend and I found that nicotine was one of the first treatments for ADD... Because I decided to go back to college at 30 years old, my boyfriend bought me my eGo. Major difference! I have to admit, I was one of those that thought it was in the same category as smoking which is why I never brought the idea up with my boyfriend. (He's allergic to cigarette smoke especially menthol which is what I used to smoke) After being around his newly vaping friends with no allergy problems, he brought it up to me :) I couldn't be happier! I'm more focused on my school work and less stressed!

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Do you wean yourself down to a lower level of nicotine, then gradually to no nicotine, and then you are a non-smoker?
Or is it just replacing one bad habit for another?

I placed my order today for a Kgo.

I really want to quit smoking, that's my reason for getting the Kgo.

I feel like such a jerk for starting to smoke again, after quitting for 10 years. I had no good reason to start, other than there were people in a class I was taking that went outside to smoke during break. I started bumming them once in awhile. As of July (4 months ago) I started smoking again. I got a cold a few weeks ago and I keep coughing and coughing. I am sure it is from smoking, the cough just won't go away.

I am so ready to stop coughing and quit cigarettes. I hope the e-cigs will work to get me off of analogs and off of everything shortly. The people over at Quitnet.com, which I used a lot last time I quit, to help me, HATE e-cigs. I am not sure why. Sorry this was kind of long-winded. Basically, what I want to know is whether people have used the e-cigs to quit smoking and not to transfer one addiction to the other.

Sandy

Very decent ecig choice, I have a pair myself. All of your questions will be answered and some for questions you haven't even thought of yet can be found in my blog, The Vaper's Handbook:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/shoganinja/2998-vapers-handbook.html

flatom

Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
I started vaping 3 weeks ago with no intention of quitting cigarettes but with an expectation that I'd want them less. Maybe it was the expectation that made it so, but it did work out that way. I smoked an average of 4 cigs a day for 2 weeks after I started vaping and found that I wasn't getting anything from the cigs that I don't get from vaping. If ever there was a ripe time to quit cigs, I decided this was it. I made a decision 8 days ago to not smoke and I've been surprised how easy it has been. I don't find myself drawn to cigs when others are smoking.

Best of luck with your own quest to stop smoking. Vape on. It's more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread