How do you quit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seniorGecko

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2011
Bangkok
If you are not that heavy of a smoker, then switching to an e-cig will be easy and can be instantaneous switch. I smoked 7-10 cigs/day for 12 years and also managed to quit for a year but fell off the bandwagon. I switched as soon as I got my first e-cig. With the e-cig, you can slowly ween yourself off of the psychological addiction, ie. setting aside 10 mins to have a cig with the morning coffee, after lunch , etc because you can take a hit of nicotine at anytime. After a while you are no longer on that 'smoker's schedule'. And I think that is a good thing. And after a while you may find that smoking a cigarette just plain tastes disgusting.
As when i smoke a cig now just to try, I can taste some of those chemicals and carcinogens. Later I'm sure that you can ween yourself off of the nicotine altogether. However at first, you may vape a lot more than smoking.
As for vaping, you will probably want to quit that eventually as well. After all, most here don't even know what exactly goes into the eliquids we use.

Nicko

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
China
Nearly all of the anti-smoking groups hate e-cigs. The biggest reason is that e-cigs are so successful as an alternative to smoking. If everyone switched to vaping, the anti-smoking groups would all be unemployed.

Also, if you switch to vaping, you literally have quit smoking. E-cigs produce no smoke.

You can wean yourself off nicotine if you want to. Many vapers choose not to because of the benefits we get from nicotine.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Hmmm interesting that some groups hate ecigs, do they say why? .............

Maybe because they are angry that they had to "suffer" to quit smoking and they don't like the idea that we did it the smart and much easier way. There is truth in the old adage that "misery loves company".

vapi

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Ohio
Maybe because they are angry that they had to "suffer" to quit smoking and they don't like the idea that we did it the smart and much easier way. There is truth in the old adage that "misery loves company".

I call them dry drunks, still have the cranky attitude without the nicotine. I bet they would have a much nicer disposition with a little nicotine in their system.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
A lot (I'd say the majority) of people that vape do so because they couldn't quit or couldn't stay 'quit' by conventional methods. Someone posted the average age or maybe it's in the Polls section but it appears that a lot of people that vape were long time smokers.

I don't know if there's any real data on the number of people that have actually 'quit' completely. And those that have, we don't really know their smoking history, how long they've remained nicotine free, etc. etc. etc. Someday we may.

Everyone that vapes doesn't have that goal. Or they don't see that as a realistic goal for themselves.

My husband quit smoking cold turkey one day and never had another cigarette and doesn't want one. That's definitely not in the cards for me, but now that I've discovered vaping I'm happy.

chevelle

ECF Veteran
A lot (I'd say the majority) of people that vape do so because they couldn't quit or couldn't stay 'quit' by conventional methods. Someone posted the average age or maybe it's in the Polls section but it appears that a lot of people that vape were long time smokers.

I don't know if there's any real data on the number of people that have actually 'quit' completely. And those that have, we don't really know their smoking history, how long they've remained nicotine free, etc. etc. etc. Someday we may.

Everyone that vapes doesn't have that goal. Or they don't see that as a realistic goal for themselves.

My husband quit smoking cold turkey one day and never had another cigarette and doesn't want one. That's definitely not in the cards for me, but now that I've discovered vaping I'm happy.

Same here. Wife decided to quit smoking one day 20 years ago and poof! she quit. Me? There was no way I could quit and tried everything. Problem was that, deep down, I enjoyed the act and flavor of smoking despite the obvious health issues. What drove me over the edge was the increasing expense, the social trauma whenever I smoked, the stink and last but not least...discovering little burn holes in my favorite new shirt! WaaaaaaH! LOL.

E-cigs were the only things that actually worked for me. They helped me to quit and stay quit.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Hi Sandy and congrats on your purchase. When I began researching Vaping I was only concerned, first and foremost, getting/ cutting down analogs. I began on 36 mg after 2 weeks went down to 30 mg. Last week I started on 24 and all is well. I received some excellent advise from the Vets here but the bottom line is Vaping is a very personal program and in the end many decisions are up to the individual. Some Vapers say they will never stop Vaping- others have specific goal in mind. It's their personal choice. My eventual goal is to one day be analog and vape free. So far I have achieved that first goal. Just remember some have quit analogs completely from day one while others have cut their analog down. Again it' a very personal program and many decisions are up to the individual and I would NEVER judge anyone here according to their own personal targets or progress.
Best of Luck and Happy Vaping, Vapoor.

gjns711

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2011
Cartersville, VA
At first I was forced into this by two broken ankles and a seventeen year old daughter who could not buy cigarettes and I could not drive and by losing my job and not being able to afford cigarettes anymore. Immediatly I realized that I didn't need to smoke anymore. I started with these and never looked back. Overnite my lungs cleared, I stopped coughing and wheezing and I was amazed that I could smell things I don't think I had ever smelled before......amazing! I had been blaming everything on allergies forever and it was cigarettes, I just didn't want to admit it to myself. I started at 24mg nic and am down to 6mg unless I get a sample or something really cheap in higher nic or even zero. Tapering down was painless, I consider myself a nonsmoker now and never thought I would be able to quit, not ever. If a heart attack didn't stop me I didn't think anything would, but I did quit!!! This forum I believe has alot to do with my sucess, the people here are the best in the world and if you just need to fill your soul up from time to time you can come here and the kindness of these people will reaffirm your faith in your fellow man and woman!!!

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I haven't had a cigarette for a little over a month. I consider myself a non smoker, and I'm still amazed by that, because I didn't think I could quit. I smoked heavily for 30 years, and ever attempt at quitting was pure hell.

Yes, I'm still addicted to nicotine. But I don't smell like a smoker anymore, I'm saving money, and I'm on a much healthier path.

Will I be able to quit vaping? I've no idea. But if I vape the rest of my life, that's better than smoking the rest of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread