How do you quit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
SC
Maybe because they are angry that they had to "suffer" to quit smoking and they don't like the idea that we did it the smart and much easier way. There is truth in the old adage that "misery loves company".

That's exactly what I was thinking. I have this image of them shaking their fists at us and crying out: "Unfair! Unfair! You haven't suffered enough to earn the right to quit smoking! Curse you, Vapers!"

lotsoffish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Buffalo, New York

lotsoffish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Buffalo, New York
Hello Sandybeach,

One thing I find uplifting regarding this thread is the way you were chased out of that quitting smoking forum because you were starting to consider vaping as a tool to get off cigarettes.

In reality they did you a favor.

You ended up here, you got OFF the cigarettes, and you made a lot of friends and found an enjoyable forum full of nice folks to socialize with.

It's a win-win for you.

E Cigs are NOT marketed as a smoking cessation product, lets make that clear. However interestingly enough ony 11 % of smokers are successful in quiting using the patch or gum, while there is an over 30% success rate using e cigs. Personally I don't care, I didn;t want to keep smoking cause I was beginning to feel the negative effects from it. I haven't tried to taper down as I enjoy vaping like I used to enjuoy the ACT of smoking. Who cares if you keep vaping, at least you're not irratible, and overeating. If you stop everything great, if you keep vaping only great, still saving lots of $$ too. A co-worker of mine chewed that gum for over 2 years, it's not the nicotine doing you the harm. Do you plan on quitting caffine too ? ( I didn't think so )

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA

Ralikar

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2011
1) You taught youself to hate e-cigs.
2) You do not need internet people to tell you how to succeed here or at another site. This is your decision totally.
3) Do not have a dieter mentality-- OMG! I ate a doughnut! I suck! And then hate yourself and feel guilty and powerless. it's all good.
4) Make sure you consider nic/time NOT overall mg/strength. Keep the same vaping habits and just slowly wean down. Be careful when you cut down in nic strength you don't vape more.
5) Smoking isn't evil, vaping isn't evil. It's your choice and you determine the outcome. Come to the boards for some help with products and a little moral support, don't rely on the boards to make up you mind for you and "convince" you to do something you don't really want to do. You don't really get long term motivation by pretending something you like is suddenly evil, you win but deciding you want to do different things you enjoy more.

I was up to 3.5 POD from like 20 years and off smokes in 3 days. I love vaping, I love nicotine with my coffee. I have a smoke once in a blue moon for fun and it's no big deal. I went from thinking my lung was going to collapse in the shower one day; now my lungs are like 20 years ago, I hardly ever cough and I can pound sweet nicotine at will. I chain with my beer, chain vape with my coffee--am vaping right now. Works for me.

Find where you want to be and go there. It's not as hard as you think...

Last edited:

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
I started vaping 3 weeks ago with no intention of quitting cigarettes but with an expectation that I'd want them less. Maybe it was the expectation that made it so, but it did work out that way. I smoked an average of 4 cigs a day for 2 weeks after I started vaping and found that I wasn't getting anything from the cigs that I don't get from vaping. If ever there was a ripe time to quit cigs, I decided this was it. I made a decision 8 days ago to not smoke and I've been surprised how easy it has been. I don't find myself drawn to cigs when others are smoking.

Best of luck with your own quest to stop smoking. Vape on. It's more fun.

Vaping creates an aversion to smoking. I am surprised you went that long without quitting altogether. I quit on the first day and when I smoked a cig a week later (while I was drunk) I couldn't have gotten drunk enough to enjoy it. It was gross.

Edstasic

Jun 16, 2010
Mexico
For people considering vaping or just starting:

I was a pack a day smoker for years, got told by a doc that my lung was about to collapse, even tho i was totally scared i kept smoking because i just couldnt quit, after a few months i found out about e cigs, at first i was very very attracted to the nice "regular" cigarette-looking BLU e cig, looked awesome in the pics and vids, i then started to do some research, found this forum a few years ago read a lot about e cigs, kept reading and finally i read some more, learnt that BLU cigs werent what i was looking for, so i got The Chuck, 510 attys, 18650 batteries 3000mah and USA Mix 24mg, MAN that was it! I had 2 weeks of vaping only when at a party i got asked about my Chuck, explained what happened said i was off "regular" (we call em "analogs") cigarettes for 2 weeks straight and they couldnt believe it, they wanted me to compare how it felt to smoke now that i was vaping (since i was telling them how much better it tastes) and when i tried a analog there for the first time in 2 weeks i wanted to vomit, REALLY, it was totally and absolutely disgusting, i couldnt believe that i felt like that when 1 month ago i was chain smoking my luckys, that was it for me, since then and even 3 years later today i havent touched a single analog at all.

One important thing is, when i was vaping for the first time i started with 24mg nic juice, as that bottle was getting emptier (1/3 left) i started diluting it with VG until there was nothing else, so yeah, it helps to lower the nic strength and not vape more than what you usually did, after that it was a tiny bit difficult but i did the experiment and managed to abstain of e cigs alltogether, i just came back to vaping and im not planning on doing nic, just flavor+vg/pg, even if i were to do nic again, im not that much afraid because its just nic, its not tar, its not smoke, its vapor ;).

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Hahahaha, oh well if anyone is still reading this, I have a suggestion for new vapers.

Skip the Kgo. It was my first e-cig. Both broke quickly.

If I was starting to vape now, I would choose the eGo Twist for my first PV. It is variable voltage up to 4.8, and is inexpensive and easy to use.

Where do you people keep getting these KGOs that break? Hoosier? I have dropped mine, beat the crap out of them. Accidentally pulled one apart and put it back together and they both work awesome 6 months later, no end in sight. They are my beater ecigs.

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
For people considering vaping or just starting:

I was a pack a day smoker for years, got told by a doc that my lung was about to collapse, even tho i was totally scared i kept smoking because i just couldnt quit, after a few months i found out about e cigs, at first i was very very attracted to the nice "regular" cigarette-looking BLU e cig, looked awesome in the pics and vids, i then started to do some research, found this forum a few years ago read a lot about e cigs, kept reading and finally i read some more, learnt that BLU cigs werent what i was looking for, so i got The Chuck, 510 attys, 18650 batteries 3000mah and USA Mix 24mg, MAN that was it! I had 2 weeks of vaping only when at a party i got asked about my Chuck, explained what happened said i was off "regular" (we call em "analogs") cigarettes for 2 weeks straight and they couldnt believe it, they wanted me to compare how it felt to smoke now that i was vaping (since i was telling them how much better it tastes) and when i tried a analog there for the first time in 2 weeks i wanted to vomit, REALLY, it was totally and absolutely disgusting, i couldnt believe that i felt like that when 1 month ago i was chain smoking my luckys, that was it for me, since then and even 3 years later today i havent touched a single analog at all.

One important thing is, when i was vaping for the first time i started with 24mg nic juice, as that bottle was getting emptier (1/3 left) i started diluting it with VG until there was nothing else, so yeah, it helps to lower the nic strength and not vape more than what you usually did, after that it was a tiny bit difficult but i did the experiment and managed to abstain of e cigs alltogether, i just came back to vaping and im not planning on doing nic, just flavor+vg/pg, even if i were to do nic again, im not that much afraid because its just nic, its not tar, its not smoke, its vapor ;).

You don't ever want a collapsed lung. First they shoot you up with as much morphine as they can. Then they will bring about 4 people in to roll your over on your side and hold you down. Then the cutting happens. Through your skin, fat, muscle, lung wall. Then they jam a tube in there. You're screaming as much as you can the whole time. It's something out of a Saw movie. When they let you go, you pass out.

Oh and BLU is owned by the Lorillard, the company that makes Newport and Kent cigarettes. Yes, the same Kent and Newport that used to have commercials on TV in the 60's. You can find them on YouTube if you want to see them. Please, no one ever buy a Blu again.

Edstasic

Jun 16, 2010
Mexico
You don't ever want a collapsed lung. First they shoot you up with as much morphine as they can. Then they will bring about 4 people in to roll your over on your side and hold you down. Then the cutting happens. Through your skin, fat, muscle, lung wall. Then they jam a tube in there. You're screaming as much as you can the whole time. It's something out of a Saw movie. When they let you go, you pass out.

Oh and BLU is owned by the Lorillard, the company that makes Newport and Kent cigarettes. Yes, the same Kent and Newport that used to have commercials on TV in the 60's. You can find them on YouTube if you want to see them. Please, no one ever buy a Blu again.

I wouldnt even dream on buying Blu, I was lucky enough to inform myself first before i made any purchase, as i said, my first e cig was a Chuck (actually thats my first and ONLY e cig/mod HAHAH), i only got to know how one of those small toothpicks feel because i found another vaper at a party at some point and he had a generic one that looks like a analog, i was using my Chuck then and the performance of that toothpick as i called it was absolutely nothing compared to the clouds i was doing. Also my lungs are in really good condition right now, havent gotten any cigarette smoke in there AT ALL since then, nothing, nada, zero, so im pretty happy im out of that nasty situation. Did you got a collapsed lung? i hope you are better now if you did.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    It was easy for me to quit the cigarettes after I started vaping. I just stoped buying them and when I ran out ... I was out. Oh, and I was a 50+ year smoker. That said, I have no intention of quitting vaping. Take my word for it, you would not want to be around if I had no nicotine in my system. It's almost as important as coffee. :lol:

theerick45

Verified Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Dallas, Texas, United States
    I'm sure it's already been said, but for me I had to have a good throat hit, once I purchased a high voltage e-cig I was set; however even when I faltered and ending up taking a drag off of a cigarette it wasn't enough for me. So I"d recommend taking a drag off of a cigarette a few months into vapeing and you'll soon realize you weren't missing much.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 8, 2011
    Chicago
    1) ...snip....
    3) Do not have a dieter mentality-- OMG! I ate a doughnut! I suck! And then hate yourself and feel guilty and powerless. it's all good.

This is so true. When I originally quit smoking in 2000, I used QuitNet.com. Truly, it was an invaluable resource, just like ECF is. It was great for support. Here's the problem; I kept slipping, for six months, and smoking. I also used the patch and Welbutrin, and Nicorette gum. I got dissed for using "crutches". I got told that the only true way to quit was cold turkey. Well I call b.s. I quit for 10 years. That was as true of a quit as I can imagine.

Of course, then, I started bumming cigarettes, and you can guess what happened! I only smoked cigarettes for antoher six months. Then I found ECF and never looked back.

Even with vaping, I never told myself I couldn't smoke. I kept a pack in my glove box in the car, until they tasted so awful that I threw the pack out. I bought one or two more packs, smoked a few, then gave the packs away. The last time I smoked a cigarette was May or June. I just don't want one. But if I do, I will smoke.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 8, 2011
    Chicago
    Where do you people keep getting these KGOs that break? Hoosier? I have dropped mine, beat the crap out of them. Accidentally pulled one apart and put it back together and they both work awesome 6 months later, no end in sight. They are my beater ecigs.

Where did you get yours? Out of curiosity. I don't want to diss the vendor I bought mine from, he's been very helpful, and I still buy stuff from him.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread