Status
Not open for further replies.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
the base is a piece of 1/8" kydex cut to size and bent to make legs.

underneath is a pc fan. it's mounted with a small gap and magnets attached to it one facing north pole up and the other facing south pole up.

wired to that is an old dc converter from probably a beard trimmer or something. i think it's just 5 volts or so to minimize rpm's so the magnet in the flask can keep up.

the mini toggle switch interrupts the positive lead.

drop the stirrer in the flask and move the flask until the stirrer is centered. then add your liquids and go.

there's plenty of DIYs on youtube.

these are the magnets i have on the fan... https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B662
this is the size i use in the 50ml erlenmeyer flask... https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=STIR20

there's more info than you'd likely be interested in here... https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=stir-bars

i put a piece of electric tape over the graduations on the flask and painted it with white krylon fusion so i'd have a viewing window and a white background for easy color recognition.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
How interesting is this? Thank you for posting. I have bookmarked this and will look into it in the near future.
JC_doubleup.gif

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
I say a lil prayer put it in my dripper and vape it.

While not very scientific I can tell if a nic is at 24mg 18mg 12mg and for higher nic concentrates I mix them to 24/25mg then test with my dripper if my eyes cross yeah thats 24mg if they turn back in my head its 48mg or higher.

It would be nice if added comments with the mixing that you were adding bromo acid and distill and measuring how much acid it took to turn blue yellow then using math got to your nic strength. You still can in edit video add the annotations..

Cool mixer tho but oxygen breaks down nic and your points will be off by .00005% lol..

Ya really do not need to mix after mixing the vg nic, distill, and bromo, it its an instantaneous reaction and the added oxygen will slow it IMO..

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I can drip my 100mg base so the unscientific method may not work so well for me. :blink:

Titration is by far not precise already. Good enough to tell if my base is off though. Not at all worried about another .00005%. Lol

The wife mixes a lot of juice for herself, family and friends when I'm out of town, so I test all my nic base before it goes in the freezer for storage.

I might put captions on the vid eventually. Though my PCs don't always play nicely with youtube and i haven't cared to fix that in a while with a shortage of spare time and all.

Acetic acid and phenol red, eh? Got some numbers applicable for those? I wouldn't mind having another option.

Sent from my device.

doctordun

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
TX

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
I can drip my 100mg base so the unscientific method may not work so well for me. :blink:

Titration is by far not precise already. Good enough to tell if my base is off though. Not at all worried about another .00005%. Lol

The wife mixes a lot of juice for herself, family and friends when I'm out of town, so I test all my nic base before it goes in the freezer for storage.

I might put captions on the vid eventually. Though my PCs don't always play nicely with youtube and i haven't cared to fix that in a while with a shortage of spare time and all.

Acetic acid and phenol red, eh? Got some numbers applicable for those? I wouldn't mind having another option.

Sent from my device.

I was joking glad u got it.. It can be very close if ya don't buzz it after base mix and use 4 small small vials calculating by the drop in each for conclusive, well I am sure you know that, showing off that baller mag mixer :toast:...

I started diy a few days after the post about the company sending out 200mg instead of 100mg :(
It didn't kill any of those people who vaped over 100mg but they did feel woozy.

We all should be testing each and every batch we're sent but lazy is best friend and he gets a lot of time running things in visus land..

Always need a reminder...

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
-snipped-

Sent from my device.

I can't say how accurate the manufacturing of the white vinegar is, but I assume that it's reasonable. I used some that specified 5% acidity from the grocery store. I used the numbers from this post in the thread that I linked:

Quick note:

I know I had decided I wasn't interested in providing support for this thread, but a trick that's worth considering: The easiest way to make 0.1N acid, is with acetic acid, which will work as well as mineral acids like HCl or H2SO4 when titrating nicotine.

How do you make 0.1N acetic acid?

Get some quality name brand white vinegar that's labeled as "diluted with water to 5% acidity". Vinegar acidity is expressed as wt/volume, so 5% acidity refers to 50 grams of acetic acid per liter of product. The normality of 5% vinegar is 0.8326. Vinegar acidity is tightly controlled during manufacture, especially among the better name brands because full potency is needed for it to do it's job when using it for pickling.

To make 1 liter of 0.1N acetic acid, dilute exactly 120 mL of 5% white vinegar to 1 liter with distilled water. To make 1 liter of 0.12N acetic acid, dilute exactly 144 mL of 5% white vinegar to 1 liter with distilled water.

If you screw it up, add oil and pour over salad.

I don't know how suitable Phenol Red is, though it seemed to work fine for everything that I tested. The numbers that I found for the two indicator dyes suggest to me that they are both suitable for this type of titration:

Bromothymol Blue: pH 6.0 - 7.6, yellow to blue
Phenol Red: pH 6.8 - 8.2, yellow to red

They both turn yellow when the pH drops sharply below 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread