• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

how does customs work - AU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
I posted this in the beginners forum, and I can post it here now.
I'm about to make my first order for e-cig gear and e-liquids. Was going to get them from the same place so they all arrive together. Howevever after reading more about the legal situation here I'm concerned about what some bloody-minded official might do.

I dont know much about customs but I presume:

* some countries of origin get scrutinised more than others
* some automatic process scans incoming packages and anything suspicious is routed for manual inspection.

Am I better to separate my e-liquids and hardware into different packages? OR Does a package of only e-liquids look suspicious?

Do packages from the US receive less attention than asia?

If a package DOES get opened and stopped (rejected) what do they do with it? Send non-offending items on?, send the whole package back? or just bin it?

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
I'm about to make my first order for e-cig gear and e-liquids. Was going to get them from the same place so they all arrive together. Howevever after reading more about the legal situation here I'm concerned about what some bloody-minded official might do.

* some automatic process scans incoming packages and anything suspicious is routed for manual inspection.

Am I better to separate my e-liquids and hardware into different packages? OR Does a package of only e-liquids look suspicious?

If a package DOES get opened and stopped (rejected) what do they do with it? Send non-offending items on?, send the whole package back? or just bin it?

You'll probably be fine, however you could buy your equipment locally, and maybe get some flavours and PG/VG as well, or some no-nic flavours or doublers. You can then try out the equipment and be ready for when your nicotine liquid arrives. You'll probably save some money on freight this way too, OS freight from the US is frightful if you want it quickly, but postal on less then 500gm isn't so bad.

Ewunia

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2012
Australia
I had deliveries of hardware and e-liquid (most often mixed in one package) from US, UK and China. I never had any problems with customs. In your place I would go ahead with the mixed order. I was also very aprehesive at the beginning, but after more than 10 orders (I vape since Dec 2011), I don't worry about it anymore. I'm in NSW, there were some rumours, that it's harder in Queensland, but I don't know for sure.

phanto

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2012
Melbourne

Just go for it. Most of my deliveries from China and USA have arrived at Alexandria in NSW and I've never had any problem with at least 20 packages containing all sorts of eliquids and/or devices. My latest experience was a bit different in that the port of arrival was Melbourne so that's where the Customs did their inspection. The package contained a 1000ml bottle of juice from China and I was a bit concerned what would happen if Customs did check it. Well, they did, package was opened and seal broken, then they passed it as OK. There had been a 4 day delay but a phone call to the Service Centre gives a recorded message saying expect up to 10 days delay because of a huge volume of parcels. They are looking for terrorists, not people trying to quit smoking!

PS: If ASIO knocks on my door I'll try to get a message out to update my reply!

Last edited:

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
the port of arrival was Melbourne .... and seal broken, ..... but a phone call to the Service Centre gives a recorded message

Thanks. Hope ASIO is not peeping in your windows!!

How did you know it was coming through Melb?
Which "service centre", and how did you know where to call?

Broke the seal, on the bottle? Wonder what they did then. Taste it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread