How does one go about thinning out their collection of mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
worldwide
vapehouston.com
I did it last month. I went through & thinned out the mods that I *thought* I could part with. All went well, & I'm not missing the mods that I sold a single bit.

However, the addiction continues. For example, today I bought a Provari, a black GLV SM, & my pink gloss GLV SM got shipped today. It took EVERYTHING I had in me NOT to add the new Infinity Pro to my cart & just hit the "check out" button.

It's weird. I can't just have an Alpha Ultramax.........Nooooooooo, I've gotta have the Ultra, and the Ultra Lite as well. Oh, then the Precise line......I couldn't stop at the P-18, I had to buy the P-10 (my 2nd), the P-16, and the new Precise Plus.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going into debt or having my family suffer over my "mod horder's syndrome", but it really *gets to my heart* sometimes. WHY???? WHY must I join every co-op for cool stuff made overseas? Why must I buy all the new mods that are released? Then Why must I have the "complete precise collection", "complete Alpha collection", "complete GG collection"?

I would REALLY LOVE to get down to 2 mods. Yep, that's it.........just 2. Then I start to think about it........a few of the mods I have are super rare limited edition. Then there is this one mod that there isn't another one like it, except for the one that the vendor has for himself.

I love the Reo line because it just works! It's as simple as lighting a cigarette. I could never go without a REO.

Then there is the Precise line..........They are simply gorgeous! If you've never seen them, you must!

Then my GG stuff. (one of each except for the Grant, but a couple SSGGTS)

I REALLY want to stop. I almost feel like an alcoholic or something. Someone that deep in their heart wants to stop........but honestly in all reality........just can't.

Even after I thinned stuff out before, I was STILL left with a ton of stuff. I like my mods :) Granted, most of them sit on a shelf. Some are neatly packed in a foam inlayed pelican case.

I honestly need help on thinning out my mods. I need to do something. I need an intervention. Even as I type this, i'm terrified that something is going to be posted on the classifieds that I WANT........& I'll miss it :( (yes, it's totally sick guys)

I need
1. suggestions on how to curb the mod appetite
2. thoughts on ..........if you could keep 2 of your mods, which 2 would they be & why?

BTW, this is an honest post- not a joke

MXBNW

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2010
NW Washingtion
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I am with you Jen.

I have decided to just go with the flow. If it makes me happy and dose not take away from the bill $ then I just do it.

I to have thinned out the mods but find my self ordering new stuff and or buying multiple of the same mod these days.

Have fun with it, at least your not collecting analog buts and ash trays. :)

Wingapo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2011
Taos, NM
I can help you thin out that collection Beemer J. I'm here for ya. Let me take those Precises off your hands and ease your load some.

Only two mods? Are you nuts? Really Jen, sometimes you say the meanest things.

1) REO Mini - easiest mod to deal with by far.
2) SS GGTS and every dag blamed thing a fellow could stick on it, in it and around it.

Last edited:

nocturn4l3030

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
South Bay, CA
lol jen, i know it's a serious post but made me chuckle ;P you and MX can sure relate to each other -.-;;

if i had to pick 2 mods.......... my provari (everyone needs a VV right?) and my omega. but idealy i would need 3. VV for fiddling, Omega 18650/6v for my comfy/favorite use, and a small one to use for public, discrete use (my new precise 18350 i jus ordered today!) -.- sorry i'm no help lol

edit: i would say if you gotta have them, just make sure you keep selling em (like you have been) once the novelty wears out, at least you won't be losing too much money -.-

misplacedsooner

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2011
stillwater, oklahoma
just put in your mind that every time you buy one the next one you buy goes to someone else, at least others will benifit too. or when you think you have too many and want to get rid of some just pif them. naaa.
on second thought i like madjacks idea only to me,lol.
really though, just get a hold on yourself and ask yourself do i really need this??? of course you want it, we all do. i would love to have some of the upper priced mods but my wife would be ...... if i spent on them and when mamma aint happy i sure aint happy.

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
Well, if I could only have two. Than it has to be my REO Grand and mini. Can't part with neither one since I want something that's simple and built like a freakin brick. Really hard on my mods and have to be careful with the plastic ones. Basically, keep those at home most of the time.

I've recently decided to quit buying vaping stuff altogether. Went back to modding my car.....nuff said.

Last edited:

Raven_Blackblade

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Kent, Washington
I need
1. suggestions on how to curb the mod appetite
2. thoughts on ..........if you could keep 2 of your mods, which 2 would they be & why?

BTW, this is an honest post- not a joke

I just got a mod though an auction. It is a solar powered E-Cig. My first mod, and was rather proud of it, till it malfunctioned badly haha. Live and let live I guess :)

An idea, is if you enjoy buying mods, but find it pointless to keep all of them around, but still wish to buy them, how about going to local vape meets, and either trading, auctioning, or even giving them away to a needy user?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Mods can be expensive if you try them all. Decide what voltages mean to you, what atomizers you like, and what your preferred wattage is. That can require some knowledge to decide. Some mods don't produce enough power to drive your favorite atomizer into the sweet spot. Others, like the variable models, let you dial in to the sweet spot.

If you read enough mod posts, you find that people tend to settle on particular voltages and atomizer resistance and styles. Researching what people like and why is key to spending your money wisely. An informed user usually spends less money and ends up with the best hardware for the lowest price in the end.

Ecigs can be like a buffet. If you know what you want, you get things on your plate that you know you like. Otherwise, you keep going back and back and back and frequently going yuuck!

Dingus

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2011
Belgium
Well, it's clear that you love mods, so getting it down to two may not be realistic at this point, so maybe you should just set a more realistic goal.

I can't tell you what to do, but some ideas would be :
- Waiting at least X days before buying something. You might find you don't want it anymore after that.
- Only buy X new mods per month.. Or only spend $X on mods.
- Have a maximum of X mods. Can't buy anything new unless you sell something.
- Maybe go through one or two months without buying anything. I tried this recently, but failed (bought a Krimson Kustoms mod, which is fairly cheap so it didn't break the bank).
- Maybe you can tell yourself to only buy mods when you earn it. I don't know you, but say you want to lose weight (just an example off course, not saying you should :)) - you can then buy a new mod if you lose X pounds.

The fact that you started this thread shows that it's something you're concerned about. All people here can do is give some advice and tips, but you have to set some goals for yourself and try to stick with them as much as you can.

Off course, if only two mods is really your goal, you should definitely go for it, and I hope you succeed.

I actually had a similar problem a few years back with video games and consoles. I just had to have them - even though I didn't even play video games that much. So what I did was only allow myself to buy a new game if I either completed or sold another one.

Good luck!

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I don't feel qualified to respond (sanely that is)
    In just the 6 months that I've been vaping I've bought a half dozen, and built a boat load of mods. Even stalking the poor mailman waiting for more mod parts. This is insane!!!!

Yesterday I stopped by Lowe's and picked up a 1/4" saddle valve to punch cartos with. Had to punch a whole box of cartos!
    (just to make sure that the idea really did work you understand)

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    worldwide
    vapehouston.com
    First thank you all for your replies. I honestly appreciate it.

Ok, the thing is.........none of this "mod buying" business interferes with my bills, or my victoria's secret/juicy couture/Tiffany & Co. addiction. It does however interfere with modding my cars out. (I enjoy having my Mustangs, & my BMW modded under the hood & body work). So, instead of my husband modding my cars out...........he builds me mods. So, yeah, not only do I buy them............If I see something super cute, I buy it, then have my husband mod it. *It's just that sick guys**

Someone suggested.........find your voltage & what atty/cartos you like. Ok, fine........I've tried them all.......& i've gotta keep trying more. Of course I know what I like, I like having everything, all of my gorgeous mods all around me, just so that I can look at them. It doesn't matter that I haven't vaped them in 9 months. I don't just have 1 VV mod, nooooo........ I've got 4. So, it's not about finding a voltage, or a carto for me. It's about seeing something different, that I can't quite put my finger on.

Sometimes I hear people say, "I can't spend any more vape money for 5 more weeks"............& i'm thinking to myself WTF? Sure I've got enough tanks/cartos/ce2s to last me til well into next year. I stockpile nic & organic diy flavorings too. I buy VG by the gallon. That's a whole different story though.........i'm here to talk about MODS!

I organize the majority of the Houston Vape Meets. Vendors are really good to us in Houston, as we've got quite a few local vendors, & they all seem to donate kits, mods, juice, etc. So, there is no shortage of that at our local vape meets. I'm NOT selfish (because most of you know that when I sell my stuff, i price it rock bottom, nearly a steal, plus i'm always sending stuff to people for free), but I'm definitely NOT gonna give my stuff away at vape meets just to find it in the classys, or being auctioned off somewhere.

I know that for sure, no matter what, I will never, ever get rid of my purple REO mini. Just like my springfield XD 9mm, you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Honestly, that is the mod that I use EVERY DAY, the mod I take to work with me, the mod I can throw in my purse & go about my business.

...............but then i've still got a ton more mods that I like. ..............then i've got some mods that i'm holding onto just for spite, because people were extremely rude to me & are looking desperately for these mods that I have. I don't ever use them, because I hate them personally. However, I get a sick kick out of knowing that these people can bash me as a human being in that specific mod thread, meanwhile i'm SITTING on several of the mod they want.......... & they could be waiting MONTHS to get one of these mods. Meanwhile, if they were nice to me, I'd gladly sell these mods that I hate to them.

I need vendors to totally cut me off............seriously.........just like a bartender would to a drunk person.........they would stop serving, because the drunk person had over indulged.

I took some photos this morning. I'm gonna have another sale in the classys I guess.
    I've taken step 1...........I've admitted that i'm powerless
    having a sale in the classys is step 2
    .................step 3 would be to NOT buy any more mods.....................
    I don't over indulge in food, liquor, exercise, or anything else. Why is this mod thing so difficult for me?

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Well, I guess I'm your opposite. I'm a minimalist. I went from a Riva and flavored juices - down to a base eGo and unflavored.

Maybe it helps me that I spend my time trying to help the newbies, not on the classies or supplier sites. I don't know. Your collection doesn't freak me out near as much as the lady that has 20 Reo's- I mean, they're all the same.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 30, 2010
    WNY
    No one that is an addicted to anything gives up their addiction until they are truly ready to do so and willing to put the hard work into it that is required. Knowing that one should give up their addiction is not the same thing as being ready to give it up.

Face the fact that long as you are vaping you are going to be a lover of trying new vaping toys and you are never going to be the owner of only 2 mods. Maybe you just need to get over this feeling of over doing the vaping thing and enjoy an addiction that you like as long as you can afford it.

Suggestions to curb your additon:
    Limit the amount of time you spend on ECF. If you don't see whats new out there you won't be tempted to buy it.

Stay out of the classie threads other then maybe one or two days a week when you are selling something.

Set what for you, is a reasonable number of mods you are allowed to own. Say 12 as an example, and when you purchase what would be the 13th you have to give up one of the 12 your already own. Same principle applies to a certain number of tanks or DT's, ect. AND no buying that 13th mod until one of the others has left your house so you cant be tempted to keep them all.

Use the Keyzgirl rule and when you want something new make yourself have a two week waiting period before you can actually purchase it. At the end of those two weeks what you thought you wanted may very well have changed.

No matter what you do there is going to be some frustration and/or withdrawal from not just buying what you want when ever you want to. You just have to work through that for a few weeks until your new rules become the normal thing to do for you.

If I could keep only two of my mods it would be my Buzz Pro cause its the best and my Hogmod becuase there are times that the convenince of a bottom feeder with a 6Ml bottle and 18650 batts is priceless to me.

cags

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 27, 2011
    east TN
    I am with you Jen.

I have decided to just go with the flow. If it makes me happy and dose not take away from the bill $ then I just do it.

I to have thinned out the mods but find my self ordering new stuff and or buying multiple of the same mod these days.

Have fun with it, at least your not collecting analog buts and ash trays. :)

I agree! and it would take a LOT of ecig stuff to get you on the hoarders show....ecig stuff is small <G> I also follow the 2 week rule of Keyzgirl. I've always been on the poor side so I use this rule for everything I want that is over 50.00. it's amazing how my wants can go away in that time period...

Last edited:

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    worldwide
    vapehouston.com
    Ok,
    So, I just sold 6 mods. The interesting thing is that a moderator moved my thread to the social/outside area, then closed it for ecig content. I thought that was pretty funny, because it actually gave my ad the exposure it needed to sell the last 2 mods I had for sale. :) 6 mods out the door TODAY, & 1 of them wasn't even listed in the my classifieds thread.

grandmato, you speak with wisdom regarding this. I am going to limit my time on ECF, & possibly bid it farewell. I'm going to keep 10 mods, & mods that I have that were made for me by my husband, or modder friends.

(I did order 1 new mod today though................it is from the UK, & limited run, & has a rebuildable atty, & was a good price)

Apparently as I was trying to sell off my mods, quite a few of my mod hording friends helped me with my thread. There was no general chit chat in the thread. It was people attempting to take mods off my hands, because they are not ready to deal with their addiction to mods.
    6 mods gone :) 1 on the way from the UK. :(

As far as wanting the "mustang now".........yes, it's a true story. My husband came home to find yet another mustang in the drive way & just shook his head. I don't care, I wanted it, so I bought it.

You'll see me other places :) My show will begin next week, & you can always find me on skype
    thatjennigirl :)

Last edited:

firhill

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 18, 2009
    Port Huron MI./Ontario, CA.
    • Deleted by spaky
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread