How does vaping actually change the taste of analogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
Seen it mentioned over and over here that after vaping for a variable period
of time analogs start tasting 'nasty' to many (most?) people. Happened with
my father in law after about two months. Has not yet happened with a coworker
who vapes and still smokes. Think he has vaped over a year total and at
least four months with a proper rig.

So, exactly how can vaping while quitting change the taste of cigarettes when
cold turkey or the patch do not? At least they did not in the past, wife and
I quit and started back at least four times each before we finally
succeeded. Final time was almost six years ago so we were well before the
fire ......ant / carpet glue was added.

Anyone quit and restart via vaping both before and after fire ......ant was
added? Was the nasty taste absent back then or less pronounced?

Curious to hear from from anyone who has quit and restarted with different
methods and how the taste differs. Have read that Chantix and similar also
can cause a nasty taste. Is it the same as from vaping or different?

Never seen or found a thread devoted to this so though I would start one.

Paradicio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2014
Altadena, CA
It's not that vaping changes the taste of analogs, it's that smoking kills your sense of taste and smell. When you quit, be it by vaping or another method, your sense of taste and smell are restored and you get the full blast of that nasty analog in your mouth.

Thank GOD I don't smoke anymore. Those things taste awful compared to the ANML "Carnage" I'm vaping on right now....

Moonlitwish

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Charlotte, NC, USA
I think it has to do with how long it takes for a person's senses of taste and smell to be restored. That's going to vary by individual. Plus if one is not cutting back on the cigs, it will not come back. I relapsed in December and it took less than a pack of cigs before my body decided the stress did not out weigh the nastiness. I almost threw up on a few before I gave in.

Puff2K

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2015
USA
I've only been vaping about a week and still smoking a few analogs per day. The analogs taste like a dirty ashtray and it's so strange to me because I smoked so much over the past 41 years. I roll my own bagged tobacco so I don't know what additives they put in loose tobacco. I'm hoping to quit entirely but I still don't know how to cope with a certain chore in the mornings very well without smoking.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Heh, I sometimes wonder if people are saying that analogs taste nasty now as a (albeit smart) psychological trick. ie: Telling yourself you don't want chocolate cake because chocolate cake is "too rich" or "too sweet" or something. You and I both know that chocolate cake is delicious.

Just my personal experience, but the few cigarettes I've had in the ~1.5 years I've been vaping have tasted as good as any I can remember.

Last edited:

Puff2K

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2015
USA
Heh, I sometimes wonder if people are saying that analogs taste nasty now as a (albeit smart) psychological trick. ie: Telling yourself you don't want chocolate cake because chocolate cake is "too rich" or "too sweet" or something. You and I both know that chocolate cake is delicious.

Just my personal experience, but the few cigarettes I've had in the ~1.5 years I've been vaping have tasted as good as any I can remember.

The first couple of drags off a cigarette after vaping for a few hours taste vile, but when I smoke in the mornings they almost taste the same as they used to. But they really do taste pretty bad. I only use them for one thing. :eek:

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
Interesting, well I tried to smoke a ciggy out of curiosity, and it tasted just like when I first started smoking.. A taste I had totally forgotten about!
But there is something gross about it that underlies the taste, which I can't pinpoint- It tasted great, like pure nostalgia, but still I was disgusted by it!

Just now because of this thread? Boggle! Do they even use the fire ......ant in the UK?

This scares me as it mirrors my experience. Though the longest untainted stretch was less than two months and was ended by a major stress event. Tornado passed close enough to wake us up... Longest prior to this time was about six months but we were smoking clover cigarettes once a day. BTW those smelled great until you lit one then they were quite nasty so tobacco was probably less so in comparison.

JHDublin

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2014
Ireland
I had that the first time I started vaping, I only vaped during the day at work but would smoke after work and they used to taste like crap especially the first 4-5, fell off the wagon and smoked for a few months but never really enjoyed the cigies again, gave a second attempt and haven't had even 1 ciggie since, vaping really does change that craving thing that you still have with other stuff like patches and gum

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY

Honesty is so refreshing!!!!!!!!

If I didn't know for a fact smoking would kill me I'd still be doing it!

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN

I imagine there is a psychological component to it, and also think vaping conditioned my brain to associate and expect a different taste with the behavior. After 40+ years of smoking, I was shocked at how disgusting a cigarette tasted when I tried one about 3 months in. Whatever caused it, that was the day I knew I was finally free of cigarettes.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I think cigs always tasted bad but we get used to it and don't notice any more.

I changed from Marlboros to American Spirit, and after a while if I had to pick up a pack of Marlboros they tasted stale and horrible.

Not sure it's all about your sense of taste recovering after you quit smoking. Right before I quit I had got down to one or two a day. They started to taste bad to me. The last one I smoked tasted so nasty I threw it away after a couple of drags and did some serious vaping to get the taste out of my mouth. I've read that same story quite a few times on ECF. But vaping is actually a pleasant taste experience so maybe you realize how bad cigs taste because you have something to compare it to. Like you've been drinking cheap canned beer for years and one day you pick up some decent ale and realize what you've been missing.

Seems like there are several different factors behind the bad taste thing.

CardinalWinds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
Vermont, USA
I changed from Marlboros to American Spirit, and after a while if I had to pick up a pack of Marlboros they tasted stale and horrible.

Man, I can second that statement. I like to say "what finally got me off of Marlboros was American Spirits"...hehe. They really are a superior cigarette in my book.

As to the OP, sure, I enjoy the taste of my vape much more than any cigarette, but I didn't develop any more of a dislike for cigs after I switched to vaping. They taste the same to me now as they did before. And while we're on the topic, while I certainly don't like the smell of stale cigarette smoke (who does?), if I catch a whiff of a freshly lit smoke I still love the smell. Most people here seem to develop a disdain for it after they quit, but not me!...go figure...

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I'm inclined to believe when we smoked our senses ignored the constant slow addition of chemicals they keep adding year after year. And when we stop now and taste returns we can actually taste them overwhelmingly all at once. I tried a CIG maybe two years ago and taste no tobacco, just paint thinner( not surprisingly acetone is used as a treatment to keep the lungs open)

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
How? Why? No one really knows - there has been so research done into the question. But it does happen, and seems to happen to more people than not.

Smoking is like riding a bicycle - you don't just hop on the first time smoking and say "Whee! This is great!" You cough, it tastes like crap, you get dizzy and light headed.... You have to work up to any idea that smoking tastes good to begin with. So the idea that it starts tasting like crap all over again once you start getting your sense of taste back makes sense.

I was a 30 year 2 PAD smoker when I started vaping and within the first couple of weeks of vaping smoking started tasting like crap for me too. And I was also getting dizzy and light headed when I smoked them - it was like a 30 year deja vu right back to my first smoking experiences. None of it was pleasant so I was more than happy to drop the smoking experience at that point ASAP. Sure as hell never saw that coming since every other quit smoking attempt with conventional methods meant I was dying to have a cigarette - and always did.

This isn't an absolute thing - it doesn't happen to everyone. For people where the smoking experience goes gross - we can count our blessings since smoking a .... turns out to be it's own worst negative reinforcement. For the people who still find something about smoking enjoyable at least you know what you are up against and know you have to work harder at staying away from them if you want to stay quit.

SamH94

Feb 21, 2015
SW England
Just now because of this thread? Boggle! Do they even use the fire ......ant in the UK?

No no no, not because of this thread! When I first started vaping I kept some tobacco just in case, it was only about 3-4 days after that I tried it then I gave my pouch to a friend (who now owns my first vape!). The second time I was drunk and out of juice, so that doesn't count! They use some real nasty ingredients for sure, not sure about fire ......ent, I was always a self-righteous ohne-zusätze American Spirit/Pueblo smoker not really realising that it makes negligible difference! :p

ChiBear85

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2015
Chicago
I haven't smoked an analog since I started vaping but I was rolling my own analogs for The last few yeyears with natural organic tobacco which doesn't have all of the added chemicals that bt puts in their analogs and the few times over the last few years I smoked one from a pack it would taste like straight up chemicals you definitely can tell the difference I also think it was easier for me to switch to vaping because I already gave up all those extra chemicals when I switched to organic tobacco don't know if that helps just my two cents

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Correct term is your Taste change or are restored.
Some find they do not like the taste of a Cigarette
Some think it is the same
I smoked for over 45 years and never remember liking the taste or even paying any attention to taste. It was the Nicotine my body craved for.
Op, your friend is never going to notice a difference while still smoking/Vaping. Any change in health and senses will be much slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread