• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

How I lost 35 pounds & kept it off *long post*

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsJaaxx

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
Atlanta, GA
www.juicyliquid.com
LOL sounds like an advertisement, but it's not, promise!

I know a lot of us ladies struggle with weight, so I thought I might share what worked for me.

First, I wasn't morbidly obese. I was about 35 pounds overweight (of course, without a change, there's nowhere to go but UP from there). But I believe that the way I did things will work for people of any size.

Very basic idea-- If you consume less calories than you use (or burn) you will lose weight. I have found this to be true.

I found a free site called CalorieCount that became the backbone of my plan. There is a calculator on there that will tell how many calories you need to have every day in order to lose weight, according to height, weight, maybe age, sex. They stress that it is just as important to not eat below that number as it is to not eat way above it. (If you mistreat your body by not givng it enough nourishment, it will not cooperate with you!)I created a log there where I logged everything I ate. There is a database with all kinds of food and also a spot where you can add in manually. In this way, I had a running tally of how many calories I had consumed throughout the day. In the same area, there is a tally of how many calories you burn throughout the day. There is a standard amount based on individual stats and activity level. I chose sedentary and just logged in my exercise. Lots and lots of recipies there, a supportive forum. (Again it looks like I am making an ad, but it is a free site, it just worked really well for me.)

I hate to exercise. But I found that I could jump rope and burn way more calories in much less time than, for instance, walking. Though I do enjoy walking the dog. Even though I hate exercise, I made myself jump rope for at least 10 minutes a day.

This is the big thing-- I wasn't on a "diet". No temporary thing. I was not torturing myself and doing this awful thing that I dreaded so that I could lose weight-- I was learning how to become a person who doesn't overeat, a person who chooses nourishing, yummy, low-cal foods. No "I'm on a diet", just "this is the way I eat now." I was breaking my habit of stuffing myself silly, and instead just eating until I was no longer hungry, I was finding new foods to love and enjoy, and I was not hungry, nor deprived. I still ate out but I made better choices.

I started in May, and by December or January I had reached my goal of 35 pounds. Today, I eat very similarly to the way I did when I was working on weight loss. I don't count calories, but I know that if I choose to eat a cheeseburger and fries, I should make sure that any other food I eat that day is low in calories. More often, i'd just go for fruit or broccoli instead of the fries. I don't still exercise daily past just the normal exercise you get from life and walking the dog, because I hate exercising. But I need to-- I am sure my muscles would appreciate it. i guess I jump rope once a week, most weeks.

This got longer than I intended. There were so many little things that helped along the way that I want to share, but I will save it for after somebody else has had a chance to talk!

Last edited:

MrsJaaxx

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
Atlanta, GA
www.juicyliquid.com
Tips that were lifeavers:

lite bread

hummus-- not only great on toast, but can substitute for all kinds of things, like salad dressing and mayonaisse

one 100 cal "sweet" per day on days when I had a sweet craving-- they make 100 cal packs of stuff and 100 cal ice cream sandwiches! Nobody is happy if they never satisfy their sweet craving!

Water-I was used to eating until I couldn't fit one more bite, so it helped to drink a big swallow a water between each bite to help fill me up. I had a pint of water with each meal!

NO non-diet sodas!

Hungry-girl.com , tons of alternate ways to make the things we love, like chili cheese fries, but at a fraction of the calories

If I messed up, good attitude. It doesn't mean I messed up the whole plan and have to quit. Doesn't make me a sorry person not worthy of a healthy body. Just move on and do better for the rest of the day/week.

Big veggie portions, small starch and bread portions.

No punishing/depriving yourself. At a birthday party, for the love of god have a piece of cake like a normal person! Just make it about half the size that is pre-cut. Eat is slow ans savor that yummy thing! Either adjust the rest of the day's calorie intake so that you don't go over your calorie limit, or exercise a bit extra to make up for it. If you don't do either of these, well then, you had a small piece of cake. Big deal. Stay under your limit the rest of the day/week.

Carry snacks. The convenience store offers almost nothing that will help you lose weight, and remember, we are NOT to be running around hungry and deprived! Nobody is going to keep up a lifestyle that is miserable.

Last edited:

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Sensible! That's my kind of non diet! Yes you can lose without going on a very resrtictive, nut case cabbage 3 times a day and cabbage soup for dessert diet! The minute you stop those kinds of diets, you are ill and the weight piles back on! More then what you lost with the goofy diets.
My daughter has tried them all! She loses down to a size 3 and is back to butterball in a month. I am giving her this info..please God let it help!
I can't and won't do the diets, it just makes me crazy and then my B.P. and diabetes go nuts. I am losing about a pound a month..it's staying off! It's about the same way I gained except I haven't named the pounds like I did when they went on..cheesecake, cheesebuger, chocolate bar. Ect. It's true, when you name them they think they have found a good home.:p
Mrs. Jaxx..I loved when you said.."At a birthday party, for the love of god have a piece of cake like a normal person! " That's the honest truth! that is the main reason people go off diets and feel bad, they think they are NOT allowed to eat like NORMAL people. normal as in Aunt Fay and her wideload behind, or cousin Bill and his turns the corner before he does belly!
My sister in law looks like a picture of an anorexic on a bad day. She is healthy, but is so frightened of heart failure that runs in almost everyone in her family that she thinks less weight is more healthy. her Doctor has warned her over and over, It's a gene not the size of your jeans! You are going to get sick and die because you have no weight to get you though an illness! Or you will stress your heart by being too thin..anorexics die of heart failure! All she says is that she isn't anorexic.
A little padding is good! Don't overdo the diet, sharp defined hip bones shouldn't slice through your jeans.

MrsJaaxx

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
Atlanta, GA
www.juicyliquid.com
Thanks!

I could see where 10 pounds in a month could happen and still be healthy.. 2 pounds per most weeks and 3 pounds for a couple of weeks. But the truth is that there will be times like those and there will also be times when the weight stays the freaking same for a month. That's when you need awesome friends and family to keep you going strong! When you first start a diet, it seems to come off faster. In general it is a pretty slow process, but it really does work.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
MrsJaaxx(what happened to your avatar???) and Mary Kay are making me start to do some serious things here regarding thyroid problems, dieting, etc., darn it I've had problems after a surgery (wiped out my whole reproductive system, :D) that was fine, but right away, HRT put weight on and reduced my metabolism big time. And gave me a whole lot of cellulite to deal with.....I do pretty good watching what and how much I eat (with the exception of Pizza, birthday cakes, and mashed potatoes and gravy ~ those have not been relegated for personal reasons!) but still having trouble. I'm doing that acai berry thing/colon thing, seems to be slowly helping, about 2# a week, but I still think I need some thyroid supplement to bring up my THS and T3&4's. Looking and looking, but don't know if it would be safe to even mess with homeotherapy for that. Everything I do helps me bring down my weight a bit but if I don't stay right on with it it goes right back on. I'm 5'2" and started out at 154, down to 144 but still too much. Another 15# makes me feel great but I can't maintain it. So frustrating. I know I'll never be fit and trim as a 30 yr old again but just can't seem to dump any weight for good. My knees feel it too. Another problem is that I'm usually home alone so snack instead of "fixing" something. Bowl of sp"K". Too many carbs, I know!
Your advice(s) are great.....I know people can't be "dieting" by going without a well rounded diet, the less a person eats the lower goes metabolism. We just eat too well in this country. We have a favorite place to go eat once in awhile, Lady Dawn's, Blanchardville, WI RECOMMEND it, but I give her heck about the amount of food she puts on a plate, you wouldn't believe it! (She's a very large lady so don't make her mad!) but she runs a swell salad bar too. That's been my salvation,
anyway, just talking....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread