How important is sterilizing bottles for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
I need to rebottle my bulk nic and have been putting it off due to rethinking how I usually do this, which is to use hot water/soap and/or Vodka to clean my amber bottles. I just read where Vodka doesn't sterilize. After searching this sub forum I found people use anything from hot water/soap to diluted bleach, iso alcohol, etc. and some who home brew use a product called 'star san'.

Is it as important for us to sterilize our bottles as say, a person who cans food? I know botulism is a real danger for them.

SpinDr480

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I've been soaking mine in iso alcohol, then when they are done soaking I boil some water and once it starts boiling I put the bottles in there and turn of the stove and let them soak until the water cools. Not sure if I go overboard, but the iso seems to do a good job cleaning and the boiling water seems to do a good job of getting rid of the nasty iso alcohol smell.

I have also done vodka, but it cost me alot more than a bottle of iso from Walgreens.

SpinDr480

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I've thought about boiling, or near boiling water, or even putting the bottles in boiling water, but was always afraid that if the bottle had a small air bubble in it, it could explode.

I don't put them in as the water is boiling, I just bring the water to a boil then remove it from the heat. Once the water stop boiling, I will add my bottles. I even do the same with my coils to clean them.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If a Person wants to Sterilize a Bottle but is Worried about it Cracking in Boiling Water, they could always Steam Clean the Inside of it. But then you would need a Steam Cleaner to Blast the Inside.

Me, I'm not too worried about it. Bottles are Cheap compared to Packs of Smokes. I would just put the Bottle/Bottles in a pan of Room Temp Water (Never place a Room Temperature Bottle into Boiling Water!) and slowly raise the Temp until it is Gently Boiling.

If one of the Bottles Breaks, Cea Sara, Sara.

How Many Bottles do you have to do Turbo?

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
If a Person wants to Sterilize a Bottle but is Worried about it Cracking in Boiling Water, they could always Steam Clean the Inside of it. But then you would need a Steam Cleaner to Blast the Inside.

Me, I'm not too worried about it. Bottles are Cheap compared to Packs of Smokes. I would just put the Bottle/Bottles in a pan of Room Temp Water (Never place a Room Temperature Bottle into Boiling Water!) and slowly raise the Temp until it is Gently Boiling.

If one of the Bottles Breaks, Cea Sara, Sara.

How Many Bottles do you have to do Turbo?

If I do the small 30ml's about a dozen or so and two/three big ones.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If I do the small 30ml's about a dozen or so and two/three big ones.

That doesn't sound like a Ton of Bottles.

You might get 1 or 2 that Don't make it thru the Boing Water, but replacing them Shouldn't be a Huge Expense. I say Go for it.

BTW - Are you using Poly-Seal Caps verses the ones with the Paper Type Disk to make the Seal?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
@ 'zoi: My old bottles have the paper/foil seal caps. The new ones I just got have the poly seal caps. Yeah, I may try that but doesn't Everclear sterilize? I read where Vodka does not. I'll avoid doing the other suggestion ;)

Everclear should work Great for Sterilizing Glass Bottles.

---

I've switched to using Poly-Seal Caps and think they work Much Better than the Paper/Foil type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread