How Important Were Flavors to Help You to Quit Smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I haven't come across any studies or polls that determine how important flavors are/were to help vapers to quit smoking and remain off cigarettes.

This video is a fantastic testimony on how important flavors are in vaping. It's in an MP4 format, so the link looks funny, but its safe to click on. Mark_Slis-Michigan_Testimony-2019-09-12.mp4

He shares that 99% of his customers choose a fruit or desert flavor. An 87 year old grandmother chose "Fruity COPYRIGHTDMCA Cereal". Yes, older people like flavors and demand "kid flavors".

Why You Don't Need an E-Liquid that Tastes Like Cigarettes

So I'm asking everyone in this community to voice their opinion on how important flavors were to get you off of cigarettes when you began vaping, and how important are they to you today to keep you from returning back to smoking? Will you be able to use just "tobacco" flavors if the FDA bans flavors?

69993430_1373654229477156_8050302540014682112_n.jpg

Sign the Petition
bLuViLugWhGsdWd-800x450-noPad.jpg

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Very. No, I couldn't do tobacco flavors anymore, although I did really like Tribeca when I started. Probably still would like it today, and have a decent clone recipe for it, but haven't vaped it in over two years. If that is designated a "tobacco" e juice and was all that was on the market, I could see new users being very content with it transitioning off cigarettes.

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
Critical.

When I placed my first order, I picked an assortment of micro bottles of tobacco flavors. Naïvely thinking tobacco == tobacco. Took less than a day to taste the error in that, and immediately reordered a flavor sampler.

I think us ex-smokers eventually come across some flavor or other that just "hits the spot." All day vape. Whatever. Mine found me via a free sample that was included in an order some months after I started. A watermelon variant. I have since drifted to grape.

Edit to add: Finding that flavor was the final boost I needed to quit smoking for good. Prior to that I was still smoking, just less.

Seriously, me, along with no smokers I know, ever kept smoking for decades because it tasted good.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I haven't come across any studies or polls that determine how important flavors are/were to help vapers to quit smoking and remain off cigarettes.

This video is a fantastic testimony on how important flavors are in vaping. It's in an MP4 format, so the link looks funny, but its safe to click on. Mark_Slis-Michigan_Testimony-2019-09-12.mp4

So I'm asking everyone in this community to voice their opinion on (1) how important flavors were to get you off of cigarettes when you began vaping, and (2) how important are they to you today to keep you from returning back to smoking?

upload_2019-9-16_11-48-37.png

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Yep, I also ordered a tobacco-flavor "sample pack" from Halo with my starter kit. That got me 95% of the way to cig free in under a week, but what got me over the hump was an equipment upgrade and some fruit-flavored juices.

Now, close to six years later, flavors aren't terribly important to me personally anymore. In fact, I vape more unflavored liquid than anything else, but I very much recognize that flavors are one of the things that make vaping more appealing than smoking to just about everyone trying to make the initial transition.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
they were key for me also.
when i first tried the way of the vape i too thought tobacco flavours were what i needed. they were not and i kept smoking.
next try was with jams, fruits and candies. the result? never another cigarette. still the same to this day (799 days since smoking) though my palette has expanded and I've been on nothing but my DIY liquids for over a year.
viva the rainbow of flavours.

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
Very important.. if I was limited to just tobacco flavors, I don't think I would have ever made the jump. It was really attractive to be vaping candy green apple or absinthe. I had bought a tobacco flavor amongst the bottles I started off with, because I had thought I would miss the tobacco flavor.. never finished it and threw it away!

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Honestly, not much. I started with "tobacco flavor" and still vape it today. Early on, experimenting with different flavors and new hardware did keep me interested in the "scene" though. In the end I found other flavors had a synthetic note that became more pronounced over time. That's just might be me though.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Last edited:

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
When I quit the first flavor I tried was a tobacco flavor. It tasted very good because it was an RY4 vanilla caramel type, and I enjoyed it. If it wasn't for other flavors out there though it wouldn't have stuck. The same flavor all the time gets boring and then I can't taste it. Variety is the spice of life. That being said, after a few years they lost much of their importance. I still enjoy them, but sometimes I vape unflavored and enjoy it.

Yes they are important to me for quitting.
Yes they are even more important for me to prevent a smoking relapse, at least for a long time.

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2016
Before flavored cigarettes were banned I used to get a pack every now and then as a treat. When I first started vaping, I treated it the same way, I found a Turkish tobacco flavor at my local shop as my main, and I would get a flavor every now and then as a treat. But then one day in the shop it hit me-hey I've quit smoking, these flavors are always here and they cost the same, so now every day can be treat day! Then I was on non tobacco flavors exclusively, until last summer when I had a lot of family stress and really craved tobacco. Then I got some ry4 from a local shop, and have since added that flavoring into my DIY rotation, but I am still mainly using non tobacco flavors.

I DIY mostly, so they can suck it when it comes to telling me what I can and can't have, but I am 100% against a flavor ban, there are so many out there who haven't quit yet that should have open access to them.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
The most unimportant aspect of vaping for me was and is the flavours.
If I had known about unflavoured juice right from the start it wouldve been so much easier for me to quit tobacco.
I dont like vape flavours much at all and dicking around trying to find something I could be happy to vape all day was a big hindrance to just settling down and getting on with quitting tobacco.
Between 6weeks and 3months into vaping I was having thoughts about quitting vaping because of the flavours. I was fortunate to find out I could vape unflavoured, once I did discover unflavoured I just settled into it and powered through quitting tobacco.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread