How is PG/VG metabolised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I always wondered how pg/vg that touches our lung gets cleaned and metabolised.
Anyone know how this works?
I am a little worried they just get accumulated in your lungs and never gets cleaned.
They are metabolized. They are part of food anyway. For me big question is what forms a layer on windshields, a layer which is very difficult to remove. It looks like some of juice transforms to something else, and I am a bit worried about that "something else" in lungs. Plus I think lungs are not the best organ to digest food and food additives,

Reactions: Dan011z

Dan011z

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2015
Claremont, California
alien Traveler" data-source="post: 16619258" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
alien Traveler said:
They are metabolized. They are part of food anyway. For me big question is what forms a layer on windshields, a layer which is very difficult to remove. It looks like some of juice transforms to something else, and I am a bit worried about that "something else" in lungs. Plus I think lungs are not the best organ to digest food and food additives,

That worries me too...

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
You can always go back to smoking if vaping worries you so much

Agreed, Smoking and vaping BOTH put foreign substances into your lungs...... Breathing the atmosphere of the planet is bad enough... We all have to decide how many extra things you want to breath and the manner in which you breath them. For me, Vaping as I do it is better than smoking. It is NOT safer than not vaping, but is safer than smoking.

It's time people stop being afraid of their shadows, and live life. Which is also fatal by the way.

Dan011z

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2015
Claremont, California
being worried about what is in eliquid means I should go back to smoking?
Pretty logical reasoning there.
Am I not allowed to ask about whats in eliquid and state my concern? Am I violating the ToS?
You think I sit here and bite down my teeth and worry about what goes in my lung 24/7?
I don't know why some people have to start off their day being bitter to everyone else.

Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Agreed, Smoking and vaping BOTH put foreign substances into your lungs...... Breathing the atmosphere of the planet is bad enough... We all have to decide how many extra things you want to breath and the manner in which you breath them. For me, Vaping as I do it is better than smoking. It is NOT safer than not vaping, but is safer than smoking.

It's time people stop being afraid of their shadows, and live life. Which is also fatal by the way.
Yes. Life is the dangerest adventure. Nobody survived it yet. But somehow I'd like to prolong the adventure.

Reactions: so smooth

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
You can ask anything mate.

Here is what is in my eliquid. PG/VG/Nicotine. PG/VG/pipe extract. PG/VG/black fire and dark vapour FA flavoring with some vanilla.

Quite honestly vaping has not been around as long as smoking has. There have been no long term studies. PG and VG in the past have no inhalation risks unless one is allergic, by other applications. Flavoring? don't know. additives... well depends.

Of the 7000000000000000 blends of eliquid out there who knows what people are putting in it.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
What is it about?

"Life is the dangerest adventure. Nobody survived it yet. But somehow I'd like to prolong the adventure."

Life is the most dangerous adventure. You want to prolong it.

Life.

Do you want to live 300 years? 500 years? 1000 years? The mind goes around 100 years.. the body at 90.... How many years do you want to live?

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
If I'm understanding correctly you are concerned about residue from eliquid building up in the lungs?

If so this is a complete non issue, your lungs have what is basically a covering of tiny fingers that are constantly pushing things out of your lungs. This is how the lungs clean dust and other debris out. Otherwise your lungs would look like a vaccum cleaner bag by the time you started walking ;)

Unfortunately windshields and walls don't have the same self-cleaning system as the human body... someone needs to get on that.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Pg and inhalation has been studied since the 40's, to create a toxic level in the blood stream they have to literally suffocate you for a prolonged period. Vg I think is just as harmless(as a vapor).

Even tfa flavors has a warning page saying inhale at your own risk.

Since I vape unflavored 75% of the time I personally dont worry about what the flavors may do.
But there's some funky juices out there I would never touch out of principal, bright or crazy colors, 10 ingredients etc.

If the desire to do these crazy flavors is why you are vaping then you have to accept the risks.

Reactions: Dan011z

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
being worried about what is in eliquid means I should go back to smoking?
Pretty logical reasoning there.
Am I not allowed to ask about whats in eliquid and state my concern? Am I violating the ToS?
You think I sit here and bite down my teeth and worry about what goes in my lung 24/7?
I don't know why some people have to start off their day being bitter to everyone else.
I gave you an option, I never said you had to do it

Vaping is a new thing, not everything is known about it, in fact, most things are still unknown, but people are willing to make stuff up instead if just stating, "I/We don't know"

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
How many years do you want to live?

Just until I can't wipe myself any more - whether that's 60 or 80 the way I look at it, when I can't poop independently then its time to go. I'm thinking I'll go skydiving, enjoy the fall and the beautiful scenery and then aim for a big, industrial strength wood chipper which will be turned on to "Sequoia Sawdust" mode. Simple, painless, good for the earth and no clean up other than rinsing out the wood chipper.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
PG is used in nebulizers and has been for quite some time. My son uses one, he's special needs. His maternal grandmother uses one in her COPD treatments.

VG is used as a sweetener in food and medicine. It is also used in suppositories, lotion, conditioner, tanning oil, sunblock, and makeup.

Your body's biggest organ is skin, you absorb water, oxygen, good and bad chemicals through it. I know talking about lungs is different but seeing how much contact one could have with VG on their body. I think drastic reactions would have surfaced long ago before e cigarettes were invented, my opinion not fact on this part.

The best thing is to not smoke, vape, abstain from alcohol, caffeine, and etc. Now breathing is something else.

I'd like to see studies showing the chemicals in vaping, smoking, and the air right outside the lab the test was done in. Post them all side by side, wonder how that would kill most arguments?

Now the best answer to your question is, only you can choose what is best for you. I'm sure you knew smoking was bad but smoked anyway, just as the rest of us. If you feel unsafe then you need to decide whether to quit, smoke, or look for another alternative to be smoke free. If I could have quit cold turkey I would have. I have spent more money on toys (mods and atties), juices, wire, etc. lol

Dan011z

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2015
Claremont, California
PG is used in nebulizers and has been for quite some time. My son uses one, he's special needs. His maternal grandmother uses one in her COPD treatments.

VG is used as a sweetener in food and medicine. It is also used in suppositories, lotion, conditioner, tanning oil, sunblock, and makeup.

Your body's biggest organ is skin, you absorb water, oxygen, good and bad chemicals through it. I know talking about lungs is different but seeing how much contact one could have with VG on their body. I think drastic reactions would have surfaced long ago before e cigarettes were invented, my opinion not fact on this part.

The best thing is to not smoke, vape, abstain from alcohol, caffeine, and etc. Now breathing is something else.

I'd like to see studies showing the chemicals in vaping, smoking, and the air right outside the lab the test was done in. Post them all side by side, wonder how that would kill most arguments?

Now the best answer to your question is, only you can choose what is best for you. I'm sure you knew smoking was bad but smoked anyway, just as the rest of us. If you feel unsafe then you need to decide whether to quit, smoke, or look for another alternative to be smoke free. If I could have quit cold turkey I would have. I have spent more money on toys (mods and atties), juices, wire, etc. lol

I have thrown away hundreds of unfinished cigarette packs in the last 12 years thinking that I will quit for good that day. Never worked, never will. Vaping is the only working solution for me haha. Anyways thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread