How long do you hold in your vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shankar

Jan 29, 2018
Just curious as I am kind of confused as to how vapor absorbs. I hold it in for a couple of seconds and exhale cause I always used to do that with cigarettes, but I have read that vapor absorbs differently and through the mouth or something. Does anyone have a definitive answer to this? Do I even need to be holding in it at all? THanks

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I can't direct you to any scientific links, but since I've been vaping (nearly 6 years) I've read that nicotine can be absorbed through the mucous membranes orally, as well as in the pulmonary tree. Many medicines (such as nitroglycerin) are absorbed sublingually, or orally.

Back in 2014, I worked in a vape shop. A few new vapers might have problems inhaling vapor, resulting in coughing or sore throat. In those cases, I'd suggest that they simply inhale the vapor only into their mouth and hold it for a couple of seconds, and then blow it out without inhaling into their lungs. Theory being that they could absorb enough nicotine through their mouth without inhaling all the way. I also recommended that they exhale some vapor through their nose. Seemed to work for these individuals as they got the nic fix they needed.

Actually, exhaling through the nose helps vapers "taste" the flavor in their e-liquid. Most of our perceived taste involves our sense of smell in addition to our taste buds. You have probably experienced this when you had bad cold, had a stuffed up nose, and couldn't taste your food.

Gradually they would learn to take small puffs and inhale it into their lungs. I'd explain that when they began smoking, they probably coughed from the smoke; but they eventually learned to inhale without coughing. The same could be true with vaping; they may cough early on but eventually their body would adjust to the vapor without coughing.

I also have read that vapor molecules are larger than smoke molecules, therefore the vapor doesn't make it to the deeper parts of the pulmonary tree (alveoli). I don't know if this is scientific fact or an old wives tale.

Myself, I vape much like I smoked. Except that I take a slower, gentler draw ... mainly because the juice delivery device works much more efficiently when I do. If I take a fast, hard draw I likely will flood my coil and get some e-liquid spitback.

Not sure if that helps answer your question.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I can't direct you to any scientific links, but since I've been vaping (nearly 6 years) I've read that nicotine can be absorbed through the mucous membranes orally, as well as in the pulmonary tree. Many medicines (such as nitroglycerin) are absorbed sublingually, or orally.

Back in 2014, I worked in a vape shop. A few new vapers might have problems inhaling vapor, resulting in coughing or sore throat. In those cases, I'd suggest that they simply inhale the vapor only into their mouth and hold it for a couple of seconds, and then blow it out without inhaling into their lungs. Theory being that they could absorb enough nicotine through their mouth without inhaling all the way. I also recommended that they exhale some vapor through their nose. Seemed to work for these individuals.

Actually, exhaling through the nose helps vapers "taste" the flavor in their e-liquid. Most of our perceived taste involves our sense of smell in addition to our taste buds. You have probably experienced this when you had bad cold, had a stuffed up nose, and couldn't taste your food.

Gradually they would learn to take small puffs and inhale it into their lungs. I'd explain that when they began smoking, they probably coughed from the smoke; but they eventually learned to inhale without coughing. The same could be true with vaping; they may cough early on but eventually their body would adjust to the vapor without coughing.

I also have read that the vapor molecules are larger than smoke molecules, therefore the vapor doesn't make it to the deeper parts of the pulmonary tree (alveoli). I don't know if this is scientific fact or an old wives tale.

Myself, I vape much like I smoked. Except that I take a slower, gentler draw ... mainly because the juice delivery device works much more efficiently when I do. If I take a fast, hard draw I likely will flood my coil and get some e-liquid spitback.

Not sure if that helps answer your question.

The advice I would have given them was to reduce their nic level or to get a higher percentage VG juice

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have heard the exhale through the nose tip a lot. I personally can't stand it. Doing that makes my nose feel wet and runny. To answer the OP though, I don't hold it in at all. Just breath it in and out like a normal breath. This means it starts coming out immediately, but slowly.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The advice I would have given them was to reduce their nic level or to get a higher percentage VG juice
Too high a nic level can cause coughing, but for some individuals its just a matter of their body adjusting from smoking to vaping. Just a matter of technique and time, IMHO.

In the vape shop where I worked, we didn't make any e-liquids in house, so there was no easy way to increase the VG ratio. At any one time we could have up to 20 different brands of e-liquid in stock, and most of those manufacturers didn't (or wouldn't) provide the Pg/Vg ratios of their recipes. Store management was not comfortable advising new vapers to modify the e-liquids that we sold. The most that we could do would be to suggest that they purchase two strengths of the same flavor, say 12mg and 0mg and add some of the zero to the 12mg.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Too high a nic level can cause coughing, but for some individuals its just a matter of their body adjusting from smoking to vaping. Just a matter of technique and time, IMHO.

In the vape shop where I worked, we didn't make any e-liquids in house, so there was no easy way to increase the VG ratio. At any one time we could have up to 20 different brands of e-liquid in stock, and most of those manufacturers didn't (or wouldn't) provide the Pg/Vg ratios of their recipes. Store management was not comfortable advising new vapers to modify the e-liquids that we sold. The most that we could do would be to suggest that they purchase two strengths of the same flavor, say 12mg and 0mg and add some of the zero to the 12mg.
Wasn’t meant as a criticism, more as the conventional wisdom. If it worked it worked.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Nicotine is absorbed though the lungs as well as mucus membranes, including the nose and mouth. With that said, you don't need to "hold" vape in your lungs to absorb it, it isn't what you do with cigarettes for the most part. If you are doing a DL inhale, it's very likely that the amount of vapor passing through your mouth and potentially out your nose (I didn't smoke that way, so I only vaped that way (nasal ONLY, in and out, and honestly, nasal vaping got me pretty buzzed, but I didn't enjoy it, it dried out my nose pretty fiercely) is going to absorb plenty given the amount of vapor.

It would (maybe) be more effective to hold it in your mouth for a second prior to inhaling it to the lungs than the reverse. Which is what I do. But basically, nicotine is going to get absorbed to varying degrees using either method, so don't worry about it, just vape how is comfortable for you, and adjust your nicotine level accordingly. I would find it uncomfortable to "hold" the vapor in my lungs, but if you like doing that, there isn't anything wrong with doing that (that I know of) although the amount of "more" being absorbed when it comes to nicotine is probably negligible, as compared to cigarette smoke or any other type of smoke one might want to "hold" in ones lungs and etc.

Nicotine is also absorbed through the skin, (hence the patch) the membranes of the rectum (that is a VERY UNSAFE METHOD, btw) etc. It's an easily absorbed substance so just vape how you want, and find a nicotine level that suits.

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Nicotine is also absorbed through the skin, (hence the patch) the membranes of the rectum (that is a VERY UNSAFE METHOD, btw) etc. It's an easily absorbed substance so just vape how you want, and find a nicotine level that suits.

Anna

And am I glad I don't blow smoke out that way. :confused:

Fiestylillady

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2017
USA
Ha, me too. I was once asked how i did it and i replied that i had superlative muscle control.....
I got mine fixed a few years back. Worst surgery ever and recovery. Glad I did it but I know the struggle of the deviated septum. Still have issues with sinuses.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
And am I glad I don't blow smoke out that way. :confused:

Hahaha - so now you've got me sitting here imagining you at a business meeting sitting around a conference table with business associates (don't ask me why but that is the funniest) and you "blow out smoke" and wave your hand around and say "silent but deadly... I hope that one didn't burn a hole n anything! "

And so now I can't help but sit here and giggle out loud...

Yes... I have a good imagination... lol...

Reactions: Beamslider
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread