How long should your builds (coils) last? Ok to dry fire them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Quenching is also known as tempering. It's used to harden steel. I don't know how it would affect kanthal, but I don't do it. I wouldn't recommend doing it to a red-hot pot either.
And how is tempering a bad thing?

I didn't say quenching was a hazard. I said it changes the characteristics of the metal.
Yes it tempers it and?

Something to consider

A chemist’s advice: Don’t Dry-Burn your coil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the it to release the toxins it needs to be white hot and hotter to the point of melting.

We've been cooking with metals for how long?

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Hi guys,

So I been building my coils and rebuildables now for a few months. Couple questions, I find I'm getting 4-6 days out of my coils some of my friends have told me to simply clean the coils. So I take the coton out obviously then dry fire my coils and scrub them with my ceramic tweezers then dry fire them again and dunk them in water dry them scrub them more and re wick them. I find once I cleaned the coils they only last two to three days I'm almost better off just rebuilding it seems? Also is it safe to dry burn the coils? I have bought demon killer pre made coils and have had the framed claptons in since last night and I find them dirty already strange ...pictured below.

Ceramic tweezers aren't the right tool for cleaning residue from the nooks and crannies of your coils (especially claptons), try using a firm toothbrush instead. Properly cleaned and maintained coils should easily last a typical vaper for months.

A flavor chaser, I vape NETs exclusively. NETs are extremely hard on wicks/coils (gunky) so much so that I re-wick and dry burn daily (every 10ml of juice) to maintain optimum flavor. Even at this extreme high level of maintenance 26ga (Kanthal) coils last for weeks and are still perfectly usable when I replace them (to maintain optimum flavor). During the past four years I've literally re-wicked/dry burned over a thousand times and have tweaked/honed my method for doing so. I don't even take the atty off my mod for this but would advise others to consider doing so. First, I lightly rinse the dirty wicked coils off to flush away any remaining juice before handling/removing the cotton, takes just a second or two. After removing the cotton wicks I re-rinse the bare coils. After blowing excess water off I proceed with dry burning. Once the coils are glowing red I pulse the fire button just often enough to maintain the red glow and continue this for around 8 to 10 seconds. I gather my tools/cotton allowing the coils time to cool down (~30 seconds) If I'm in a hurry I just blow on them for a few seconds. Using a firm toothbrush and a 3mm nylon tube brush I clean the coils inside and out (~10 seconds). Finally, I dry burn the coils for 2 - 3 seconds to purge any dislodged residue, wait a few seconds for them to cool before re-wicking with fresh cotton and juicing up. From start to stop the entire process takes maybe 5 minutes.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
To quench or not to quench? I say no.. I also believe, as most, not to glow too hot as its not needed. I heat just enough to burn off crud and no more, I also use a soft little brush, but don't wet anymore. I use to heat coil and sizzle with water and had noticed in time that had created a more porous wire, like it got a little rough. Since I stopped doing that, my coils definitely stay in a newer state much longer. As for swords, "come on man"...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
I use ss and do heat my coils to clean them but only hot enough to dislodge the gunk. At that point I use a qtip with some juice on it to wipe/clean my coils while still warm. Sometimes the amount it cleans off makes you wonder lol. My standard round wire spaced builds last week's easily but my Clapton's etc don't come clean enough for my liking after a week or so. :2c:

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Dry firing coils is perfectly fine as long as you pulse them and don't get them white hot. The temp that the SS or Kanthal has to reach to release the toxins is way higher than when you dry fire to clean.
So you afraid of being around cooking, steam rooms, drinking the water, etc.?
Yes, i have a water Distiller, 1 gallon. Hard to believe what's in tap water.
Fear Factor working in Flint..

As Ben85 asks, what are you basing this on?

Yep
Quenching is perfectly fine, nothing wrong with it. If it was as hazard cooks would be screwed.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I build 1.35 ohm 28guage stainless coils for throat hit and texture. The best results come from a brand new coil and wick. I rewick twice a week and rebuild twice a month. I use one percent flavoring which keeps gunking to a minimum. Gently dry burn and polish the inside of the coil with a diamond burr. That is diamond abrasive imbedded on a 2mm rod that might be used on a dremel tool but I turn the rod by hand. I space the coils which seems to make temp control more reliable and may also minimize gunking.

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
canda
Thank for the reply! What type of brush fits inside the coils to clean them?

Ceramic tweezers aren't the right tool for cleaning residue from the nooks and crannies of your coils (especially claptons), try using a firm toothbrush instead. Properly cleaned and maintained coils should easily last a typical vaper for months.

A flavor chaser, I vape NETs exclusively. NETs are extremely hard on wicks/coils (gunky) so much so that I re-wick and dry burn daily (every 10ml of juice) to maintain optimum flavor. Even at this extreme high level of maintenance 26ga (Kanthal) coils last for weeks and are still perfectly usable when I replace them (to maintain optimum flavor). During the past four years I've literally re-wicked/dry burned over a thousand times and have tweaked/honed my method for doing so. I don't even take the atty off my mod for this but would advise others to consider doing so. First, I lightly rinse the dirty wicked coils off to flush away any remaining juice before handling/removing the cotton, takes just a second or two. After removing the cotton wicks I re-rinse the bare coils. After blowing excess water off I proceed with dry burning. Once the coils are glowing red I pulse the fire button just often enough to maintain the red glow and continue this for around 8 to 10 seconds. I gather my tools/cotton allowing the coils time to cool down (~30 seconds) If I'm in a hurry I just blow on them for a few seconds. Using a firm toothbrush and a 3mm nylon tube brush I clean the coils inside and out (~10 seconds). Finally, I dry burn the coils for 2 - 3 seconds to purge any dislodged residue, wait a few seconds for them to cool before re-wicking with fresh cotton and juicing up. From start to stop the entire process takes maybe 5 minutes.
s for the reply.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Thank for the reply! What type of brush fits inside the coils to clean them?

I got mine from an industrial supply (McMaster Carr) 10 years ago, they're micro tube brushes made for cleaning the I.D. of 3mm capitulary tubes which works well for the coils I build. I believe FT has some that will work on most popular coil diameters; $2.40 Authentic Clrane Cleaning Brushes for E-Cigarette (7 Pieces) - ships one of each size at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$1.46 Mini Cleaning Brushes for E-Cigarette (5-Piece) - black at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

McMaster Carr still sells miniature tube brushes (Nylon bristle held by twisted S.S wire) in various diameters (from 1/32nd and graduating upwards by 32nds) perfect for cleaning the I.D of coils, they're around $3 each plus shipping. They're listed as "Hand-Held Low-Scratch Tube Brushes" and can be found in their on-line catalog at the bottom of page 2695. Sorry but can't provide a link to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcalvy1

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I seem to get much better coil life out of my coils. I get two or three months out of a set of coils. Dry burn and rewick about every two weeks. I DIY and don't use sweetener. Well mostly I don't.

26 gauge kanthal .5 ohm dual coils wicked with rayon. I dry burn, rinse, run the tweezers inside the coils a little as I tune out any hotspots and reposition. I agree that performance after the first dry burn isn't as good. But is still excellent.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
With my SS Claptons, I rinse them after pulling the wick, dry them off, lightly dry burn them (low orange, not light the room up white hot), let them cool a bit, then rinse a second time for any remaining crap. I just looked back on my spreadsheet (yeah, I know, but I'm just OCDish about some things), and these were installed the beginning of November, and I just cleaned and rewicked again today. Still looking and working fine.

I do, however, make my own juice, and the only sweetener I use now (outside of the flavors themselves) is Erythritol, which gunks a lot less than EM at vape temps. Even with EM, I've never used over 1%.

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
To follow up on this I have found coil life should be measured less in time and more in juice used.
If I was to mtl my coils would last forever.
So I think we should add this to the discussion.
My Clapton's may only last a little over a week but depending on the day I can vape 30+ ml a day. That over a week's time is 200ml. I do Chain vape a bit lol.
Someone using less juice will get a longer life.
Correct?

Beeker25

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2016
I tend to agree with the first comment (below the article). But what do I know. o_O

Nick Coutris at Evolv. Says don't glow SS wire as it changes the resistance curve making it function poorly going forward in temp control. If it changes the resistance curve there's a good bet it's changing the internal structure of the wire. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
To follow up on this I have found coil life should be measured less in time and more in juice used.
My Clapton's may only last a little over a week but depending on the day I can vape 30+ ml a day. That over a week's time is 200ml. I do Chain vape a bit lol.
Correct?

That's correct. I probably vape <5 ml a day now, so it would take me 6 weeks to go through 200 ml. When I was straight mtl, I probably went through ~2 ml a day. My use is pretty low overall so other than spending an awful lot on new and shiny, this has become dirt cheap for me.

Reactions: GeorgeS

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Correct?
Sounds right.....kind of reminds me of nic amounts, some vape 6mg and some 24mg, but it also depends on total juice consumption

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
canda
I got mine from an industrial supply (McMaster Carr) 10 years ago, they're micro tube brushes made for cleaning the I.D. of 3mm capitulary tubes which works well for the coils I build. I believe FT has some that will work on most popular coil diameters; $2.40 Authentic Clrane Cleaning Brushes for E-Cigarette (7 Pieces) - ships one of each size at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$1.46 Mini Cleaning Brushes for E-Cigarette (5-Piece) - black at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

McMaster Carr still sells miniature tube brushes (Nylon bristle held by twisted S.S wire) in various diameters (from 1/32nd and graduating upwards by 32nds) perfect for cleaning the I.D of coils, they're around $3 each plus shipping. They're listed as "Hand-Held Low-Scratch Tube Brushes" and can be found in their on-line catalog at the bottom of page 2695. Sorry but can't provide a link to them.
Thank so much!

Reactions: Str8vision
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread