how to dry burn kangertech dual coil atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaming_gnat

Mar 22, 2014
canada
you'll have to excuse me if someone has already figured this out, but thought i'd share anyways. haven't been on the forums in a while.

it's these little things i'm talking about:

a1o41l.jpg

everyone has long said that these coils can't be dry burned (or at least properly). let the gnat light the way...

now its true that its not as easy as say the old single coil burners. you can't take these things apart easily and hope to get them put back together in working order. i've found a way to get them apart and potentially put them back together but its honestly not worth the trouble. its a pain in the ...! and expect to break a few. i like the easy solutions. plus i love these coils, they really are great little things!

of course many of us have tried to dry burn atomizers without taking them apart and exposing the coil(s) to air. it doesn't work so well. they get very hot, you need higher voltage to do the job and it doesn't burn everything off as well. opening them up has always been the way to go.

so i started to ask myself last night: what is the difference between opening it up for a dry burn and leaving it closed? its the airflow of course.

the solution for these little things: give them some airflow!

for these coils i use an aerotank mini. wonderful little tank btw. when i tried dry burning an oil coil, i simply blew into the airhole gently while dry burning. you'd think you would burn your lips, but this is not so. because of the airflow going through it, the base only gets warm by the time its done. the burn goes much quicker as well - a lot like taking the top off the single coils!

so to dry burn do as normal. rinse the coil out, blow out all the excess water. put it in the base only and attach to your battery. here's a pic:

316kcpf.jpg

you can see the airhole here. now start your dry burn while gently blowing into that hole. keep your lips off the atomizer you goofs! you'll be surprised at how much garbage comes out that stack....rinse it off again to get any ash out and you're done!

some background: i use a small 650 mAh evod VV battery for dry burning just because its simple. i have others, but i like the quick on and off the evods have. normally i dry burn the coils (i use 1.5ohm for all) at 3.6V, same voltage i like to vape at. in this case 3.6V works well but i did find a benefit from increasing the voltage to 3.8V. not sure if that is because of how i'm dry burning or if it was because i have been experimenting with an old gunked up coil. i tried dry burning without any airflow on other coils and i had to use around 4.4V minimum and it didn't work well. not exactly desirable.

and yeah that coil was BADLY gunked up. not anymore;) now its like new.

give it a try if you feel the urge, let me know how this method works for you. i believe i have just cracked this problem of not being able to dry burn these things.

flaming_gnat

Mar 22, 2014
canada
forgot to mention, i did check the coils visually with a flashlight before and after. the difference was just like dry burning the thing in open air. gunked up and black turned into nice and clean :) didn't see any signs of the wicks burning. pulled one apart a while ago and the guy at the store i go to said it looked like silica and should take a lot of heat abuse without any trouble. so far my results would agree.

not sure what the coil resistance was before i did this (will have to try this later) but as some of you may know the coil resistance can increase as an atomizer is used and gets caked up with crap. as of now its sitting right where it should be at 1.5 ohm according to my mvp.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
One of the reasons people are warned about dry burning these heads is that the coil legs can actuall burn the positive isolator. A little burnt and everything tastes bad, a lot and it will actually cut through the isolator and short out the head. Just something to keep in mind.
Burning out the coils was the problem I had with "dry burning" the old BDC's (bottom dual coils). Fortunately, they could be rebuilt into single coils.

flaming_gnat

Mar 22, 2014
canada
One of the reasons people are warned about dry burning these heads is that the coil legs can actuall burn the positive isolator. A little burnt and everything tastes bad, a lot and it will actually cut through the isolator and short out the head. Just something to keep in mind.

i'll see what happens in the future. i would think that this is due to dry burning these coils without any airflow. this method i describe makes it very quick and does the job with far less heat/voltage. it literally takes seconds to burn these things off.

i'll keep your warning in mind though, if anything starts going wrong i'll report back ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread