How many puffs is equal to a cigarette

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdavid23

Nov 14, 2018
This is a legitimate question. Nicotine intake is already an issue with many who are smokers. I went to my doctor and he told me that the options were either die from stress or die from smoking. He made a valid point. I smoke because it is a mood stabilizer. Studies have shown that people who are quitting smoking get moody and angry. The same goes with coffee drinkers. Wellbutrin is a drug that helps people get off cigarettes and is a mood stabilizer as well.

Many factors have to be considered before taking this medication. Chronic depression being an underlying issue will surface when taking this medication. Unresolved anger issues surface because now you have to deal with the causes of depression which manifest as anger or frustration.

People saw a change in my mood and depending upon the dose it can also mask your mood to a point where your personality affect is flat. Too much of Wellbutrin you have no mood or personality. Too low a dose nothing is happening. Then when you are on the correct dose depression issues manifest as anger or frustration.

Nicotine for some strange reason balances the mood. It also helps many cope with stress better and studies have show many benefits to nicotine for people in very stressful jobs, but the benefits from smoking are offset by the carcinogens associated with smoking that will cause cancer or even kill you.

Four Surprising Potential Health Benefits of Nicotine

1. Nicotine Can Enhance Brain Function in People With Cognitive Decline
2. It Might Help With Depression
3. Nicotine Could Enhance Your Attention

If true, that could be significant: Brain scans of people with high-functioning depression show hyperactivity in regions of the brain associated with rumination. Depressed brains are often considered more “inward looking” than healthier ones, which is one reason why the condition tends to involve obsessively replaying one's past mistakes and agonizing about the future. Therapy and medication help to calm these overactive networks, and if nicotine can play a role in producing more extroverted qualities and de-emphasizing introverted ones, it could potentially be another tool for combating depression. For now, a lot more research is needed.

I am not promoting or advocating vaping or smoking, but I will not deny studies have shown there are benefits to smoking that help treat other conditions. The issue right now with vaping is how much is too much?

I am yet to see a study being done on this. I think the reason so many are hesitant to switching from smoking to vaping is the confusing information on vaping. You have dosage levels, then you have different flavors, how many "puffs" is equal to one cigarette and how many is equal to a pack.

I could go outside and smoke a cigarette and count the number of puffs I take, but then would that number be the same for vaping?

I saw a report where the FDA endorses vaping over smoking and regular tobacco, but there has not been enough long-term data collected yet to determine if there are other negative affects to vaping in comparison to tobacco smoking.

The concerns are that we are setting ourselves up for failure. Switching from a semi-automatic weapon to a fully automatic weapon. By not having stricter controls on the vaps and not enforcing the same sales rules that they have on tobacco products is the major concern. Now we have a generation of younger people who have access to the vaps and we still do not have concrete information being given to the public about the amount of nicotine being dispensed in each puff.

Even when I Googled this question there was little to no information on this topic and I also think that was a major concern for those using marijuana. There was no way to determine the quantity levels in a persons blood to determine if they were driving impaired.

The last I heard about this was determining a level of marijuana consumption that could be standardized like alcohol, but the problem was, each person is different. One level of smoking of marijuana will impair one person where that same amount may not impair someone who has been smoking for years.

The point is, having clear information on this topic should be the first goal in making this product safe. We will always have issues of abuse. That is their choice, but for those who want to use the product responsibly provide this information.

The question again, "How many puffs on a e-cig is equal to one cigarette?"

Not someones person opinion, I want to know because the goal here is to switch and not increase my nicotine intake. I would hope to stop completely, but lets say I am taking in 25 puffs on an e-cig every 2 hours am I increasing my nicotine intake or decreasing it?

I have asked several people now and no one has a clear answer to this question. All I get is peoples opinions, such as, "You will know when you are smoking too much."

Really, I will know. Then why would I be asking this question and researching it on the internet. I don't know and very few of us know. I do not under stand with this technology why someone has not developed an e-cig where you can digitally put in the amount you want and the vap will stop working when you reach that limit?

I do not see this being difficult to add to an already electronic device. Just press in 1 cigarette the amount of nicotine in container and mg levels of nicotine and once it has dispensed the amount calculated it will shut off.

Allow for a margin of error of 2 or 3 additional puffs, but right now the issue has been how much is too much and how much is too little?

I know several people like myself who want to switch over to the vap but we do not know if it makes sense to do this to get further addicted to nicotine.

Is it 10 puffs, 14 puffs, 20 puffs?

Just like the e-cig I just got. I can see the warning labels all over the box, but no where does it tell me the nicotine levels in the cartridge?

When I asked the clerk before buying she had no clue, all she said was: "This is what everyone is buying."

Yes, I em a lemming, that is the correct answer as I walk off the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.

I feel if someone can direct me to the information I am requesting this will allow me to make an informed decision whether to switch or just stay with what I am currently doing. The patch and gum does not work for me. I like the ritual of walking away from my computer and standing outside. Smoking gets me away from my work for awhile and allows me the downtime I need.

Can someone please provide this information form me.

vdavid23

Nov 14, 2018
  • Deleted by Misty

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I think that was possibly one of the longest single posts in the history of ECF. It seems to cover various topics of depression and mental health basically unrelated to the original question (it was so long I just skimmed it) and makes a bunch of assumptions about these same.
Nicotine is not an anti depressant. It’s an anti-anxiety drug. And a very fast acting one. Like most anti anxiety drugs it has serious dependency issues.
How many puffs are the equivalent of one cigarette is actually asked but only at the end of the screed in a fairly tacked on fashion.
As medical treatment manifestos are not the purview of this forum I’m going to answer only the actual question: it depends.
A cigarette “puff “ is variable by tightness of the tobacco packing, amount of air drawn in, density of that air as partially determined by holes poked in the paper, etc.. ecig puffs are not dissimilar. Concentration of juice, length of draw, type and wicking of coil all play a roll. A correlation can only be made between a particular cigarette and a particular device setup by a particular user.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Last edited:

vdavid23

Nov 14, 2018
Thank you for the responses. I "stand corrected" yes, anti-anxiety is a better way of saying it. I just wanted to make sure that I included enough information in the post and the struggles many have making this switch. I also wanted to share why so many smokers (like me) are unwilling to make this switch. That seems to be the underlying issue with "vaps" that there are no definitive facts to tell us if we are increasing our nicotine levels by vapping or maintaining our current levels.

Just my observation, I am wondering if this is being done purposely to get people addicted?

That is why I asked the question, if these are electronic devices, how difficult would it be to add additional features like the ones I suggest in my post?

Using a vap until I feel good does not seem to be the solution. What I did like about the patch and the gum was that they clearly tell you the amount of nicotine in what you are using and buying. I have tried the gum and the patch, but miss the ritual of walking away from my work and standing outside and enjoying the sunshine while I smoked.

vdavid23

Nov 14, 2018
I smoke on an average a half a pack a day. I get the 100's. I like how it helps me take that time to just get away from the work I do. Many of my friends now have health issues related to smoking, but they have been smoking longer than me. They too struggle with the patches and the gum. I am not the only person asking this question. I am just confused why no one has definitive information on this topic and yet, they were able to regulate nicotine intake on the patch and gum?

I feel this is the issue many parents also have. I would rather my kids vap, but I would like to know there is better information telling us how much nicotine we are actually taking in with each puff. The goal is to maintain or decrease and not get further addicted to the substance.

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
I skimmed your post and I thought it was ridiculous. But, I went back and read more thoroughly and I see your point. On average there is 12mg of nicotine in a cigarette.
How Much Nicotine Is in a Cigarette and a Pack?

They make 12mg/ml ejuice. So vape one ml and you will have the same amount as a cigarette. At 12mg/ml that is a lot. it ould take about 3-6hrs to vape that. You won't put that in a sub-ohm tank. Well, you could...

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
It's an apples to oranges thing. How much nicotine you vape in a day versus cigarettes is vastly different than putting 24mg sticker on your arm and leaving it.

Same with gum.

A certain nic in a piece of gum does not mean you ingested all of it. Each person varies.

Vaping nicotine is vastly different than smoking. But studies show it satisfies a lot of former smokers. Yet each varying delivery system can affect the satisfaction as well.

So the definitive answer is "whatever works for you".

For nicotine vs a cigarette, if you smoke ultralights you start out with less nicotine juice. Like 6ml. For the strong type cigarette start with 12 or 18ml. Start on the low end and perhaps go up. But one goal should be to reduce your stress level in general. Nicotine is just a crutch so it should not be a coping mechanism.

Last edited:

vdavid23

Nov 14, 2018
Thank you again for the great information. It sounds like if I take 14 puffs of 12mg ejuice each hour that is equal to one cigarette?

I looked on the package of the vap I bought and it does not tell me the mg of nicotine in the container?
Is there a special place to look on the packages?

When I asked the clerk I thought her answer was more for lemmings.

The other concern is people are talking about "popcorn" lung. What is that and would I be better off smoking regular cigarettes? I looked this up and I am not sure if this is related to vapping.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Dont forget, too, that cigs contain other addictive chemicals in addition to nicotine. You are having trouble switching over because your body still wants these other chemicals. If you truly want to stop smoking tobacco, you are going to have to bite the bullet and just do it. Dual using, in my opinion, is the same thing as not quitting cigs.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Thank you again for the great information. It sounds like if I take 14 puffs of 12mg ejuice each hour that is equal to one cigarette?

I looked on the package of the vap I bought and it does not tell me the mg of nicotine in the container?
    Is there a special place to look on the packages?

When I asked the clerk I thought her answer was more for lemmings.

The other concern is people are talking about "popcorn" lung. What is that and would I be better off smoking regular cigarettes? I looked this up and I am not sure if this is related to vapping.
    Even if we had the info you want, do you smoke a certain amount each day. Do you count all that data? I smoked until I was satiated, same with vaping.

vdavid23

Nov 14, 2018
    Yes, I do count the data when I smoke regular cigarettes. The goal is to quit, but also the nicotine stabilizes my mood and helps me perform my job. I have tried several times to quit "cold turkey" and people see a difference in my mood and work performance. The trade off's right now to quitting are not an option because of the work I do. Yes, the best solutions are the patch, gum or just quitting, but the ritual as I stated helps maintain my moods and work performance during the day.

I guess if I was not doing the work I do then quitting would be easier, but many of my business associates are struggling with the same issue. I am just surprised that no one has developed a vap that you can control the amount you take in when you use it. The impression I get is it is similar to how they get you addicted to smoking. The less you know the greater the chances are you will increase you nicotine levels and you will become further addicted to their product.

I would not think it would be that difficult to make a vap that controls the nicotine intake and gives you the option to turn it off or on for those who really do not care how much they are getting.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    "How many puffs on a e-cig is equal to one cigarette?"
    It's just not that simple.

What kind of e-cig? One designed to be puffed on at 10 watts or less is quite different than on designed for deep-lung hits at 100 watts or more. Then there's also the question what nicotine concentration is in the liquid.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    If you have a mood disorder you should discuss treatment with your doctor. Wellbutrin is an antidepressant that seems to help a small percentage of people to stop smoking. It it not a mood stabilizer, and can be quite the opposite in people with certain mood disorders.

If you feel you need to smoke in order to maintain job performance (no idea where you are or what you do where they allow you to smoke at work) you can either smoke and work, or find a less stressful job that does not require you to smoke to complete your tasks. If you then wish to stop smoking, and feel there are too many unknowns for you to trust vaping, then by all means turn to whatever other method works best for you and avoid vaping.

Good luck.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread