How many watts do you think is right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
Hi all, I'm just wondering. Im using a lemo 2, I have a clapton coil i made in it. Its 26g nichrome 80 with 36g kanthal wrapped around it. 6 wraps spaced around a 3mm screwdriver. Came out to .67 ohms.

What would you think would be enough watts to get good flavor and vapor. It seems no matter what i build, if i go over 30 watts, i get dry/burnt hits. If i go under 30w I still get good vapor, but its cold and hardly any flavor at all. Do you think that is right?

Last edited:

ufosnowcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Aalst, Belgium
my own bulds i generaly go from 25-45W
the tfv4 trip and quad coils 75 - 105

i like a slight warm vape with tase ;) not s* i'm burning my mouth and not hmm did i press the button

sizzle and pop are normal but i don't like to much popping as that is generally spitting juice in my mouth

havent much experiance with claptons but love twisted

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
There is no "rulebook" on what wattage you should vape at on any given build , it's ALL personal preference .

Rule of thumb is start low and work your way up until you hit the sweet spot where you like it best . Others peoples preferred power levels are just that , other peoples preferences , find what you like .

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Watts heat a coil, wicking & air flow cool a coil. You need to get all three correct for the vape that you want.

Most of the time I vape at just 7-8 watts, and trust me on this, if I let the wick become dry the vape becomes way to hot.
    So the amount of watts you use, by itself, means nothing. You need to have the ratio of wattage/wicking/air flow correct for a proper vape.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Hi all, I'm just wondering. Im using a lemo 2, I have a clapton coil i made in it. Its 26g nichrome 80 with 36g kanthal wrapped around it. 6 wraps spaced around a 3mm screwdriver. Came out to .67 ohms.

What would you think would be enough watts to get good flavor and vapor. It seems no matter what i build, if i go over 30 watts, i get dry/burnt hits. If i go under 30w I still get good vapor, but its cold and hardly any flavor at all. Do you think that is right?

I think there is a practical limit to how big of a build and how much power you can feed it with every tank. Namely it comes down to how big the juice channels are.

With the Lemo2's I usually run them with single wire coils at 15-25W without any issues. Some of the builds barely cover the air hole in the deck and others are as wide as the deck.

While higher PG (or H20 added) juices might wick faster/better at the end of the day it comes down to how well the build is wicking the fairly limited juice channels that the Lemo2 provides.

Maybe higher "heat flux" rating in Steam Engine is in order?

Christian Sheasley

Mar 1, 2016
    One thing nobody really mentioned was just how touchy the right wicking can be--a little too much wick and you get dry hits, a little too little wick and you are eating juice with lots of gurgling. If you are constantly getting dry hits right after building your coil, try opening it back up and trimming a little more off of the wick. Keep doing this until you get a good, consistent juice flow with no gurgling but also no dry hits. This was my biggest challenge when I started building my own coils. I was jamming a ton of wick in thinking more was better but I was constantly getting dry hits so I started putting as little as possible, just enough that the wick was touching the juice flow holes, and everything has been great since.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 28, 2014
    There is no "rulebook" on what wattage you should vape at on any given build , it's ALL personal preference .

Rule of thumb is start low and work your way up until you hit the sweet spot where you like it best . Others peoples preferred power levels are just that , other peoples preferences , find what you like .

For the OP: To illustrate herb's point a bit here I'll convey my current set up.

I am using a stock 1.5 ohm dual coil in a Smok T-Dux 3 tank. Presently, I am running at 8.5 to 9.5 Watts.
    Of a morning, not quite up to a full 9.5 Watts dumping vapor into me. Usually by mid afternoon I can
    do that.

If I use an RSST, a genesis style tank, I may use a 0.9 ohm coil and use around 15 - 20 Watts. I can do that because
    of how that tank is designed. Also the air flow hole on that tank's cap is drilled out to about 1/16th of an inch. It
    brings in plenty of air. The RSST also hammers me with vapor production.

I get fair vapor from T-Dux, ARO tanks. I never get OMFG Cloudz Bra type of vapor from the evod style tanks.
    They do provide enough that I feel satisfied in using them. The RSST is more of a special treat use tank. I am awaiting
    a tank which will fit in the middle, daily use and special use. It will be on a squonk set up and mechanical.

Using a mech, not going to be sure of wattage. Believe we can get something called 'kicks' that protect against shorts
    to a point. Not sure if I'll do that or not. It seems appropriate battery and mod usage also reduce short risks as well.

Point being, it's personal preference.

93gc40

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 5, 2014
    California
    Here's how I would go about determining best wattage for a build.. Start at lowest setting and work my way up to the best flavor setting. Also, I would do this in the dark or with eyes closed. Don't want the visual cortex influencing judgement of taste.

Of course as noted if the airflow and wicking and a few other factors are out of whack.. Of course the coil(s) itself may be the problem.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread