The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How many watts do you think is right?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Andromendous, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Andromendous

Andromendous Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2014
    Oklahoma, USA
    Hi all, I'm just wondering. Im using a lemo 2, I have a clapton coil i made in it. Its 26g nichrome 80 with 36g kanthal wrapped around it. 6 wraps spaced around a 3mm screwdriver. Came out to .67 ohms.

What would you think would be enough watts to get good flavor and vapor. It seems no matter what i build, if i go over 30 watts, i get dry/burnt hits. If i go under 30w I still get good vapor, but its cold and hardly any flavor at all. Do you think that is right?

2. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    I reckon so.
    Kinda comes down to what you like, numbers be dammed.

Have fun

• Like Like x 2
  3. Frenchfry1942

Frenchfry1942 Chillin' Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2014
    Rivanna
    I find that a bit more PG helps the flavor.

4. Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    However many it takes to get the vape you want.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Andromendous

Andromendous Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2014
    Oklahoma, USA
    So what wattage do you guys use and what kind of coils? Also, is it a warm vape? Cool? Does it pop and spit?

Is really like to get some feedback from others out there. I really appreciate it.

6. ufosnowcat

ufosnowcat Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Aalst, Belgium
    more mass in the coil takes longer to heat up/cool down
    1 way is more voltage (heats it up faster but you would want short firing times) another is start pushing before you take it to your mouth

the dry hits could just as well be your wicking being to dense.

7. ufosnowcat

ufosnowcat Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Aalst, Belgium
    my own bulds i generaly go from 25-45W
    the tfv4 trip and quad coils 75 - 105

i like a slight warm vape with tase ;) not s* i'm burning my mouth and not hmm did i press the button

sizzle and pop are normal but i don't like to much popping as that is generally spitting juice in my mouth

havent much experiance with claptons but love twisted

8. herb

herb Vaping Master ECF Veteran

There is no "rulebook" on what wattage you should vape at on any given build , it's ALL personal preference .

Rule of thumb is start low and work your way up until you hit the sweet spot where you like it best . Others peoples preferred power levels are just that , other peoples preferences , find what you like .

• Like Like x 4
  9. MagicJosh

MagicJosh Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Start low and go up til your happy :) Remember your juice can play a big role in no flavor. There is nothing worse than pure VG flavor. IMO! I use simple 5-7 wrap 26 gauge and I'm perfectly happy with keeping it simple.

• Like Like x 2
  10. rice721

rice721 1.21 GigaWatts! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Shanghai
    20 - 60 watts is my range. But my gear is pretty limited. It's gear dependent but thought I'd post my power range :)

11. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Watts heat a coil, wicking & air flow cool a coil. You need to get all three correct for the vape that you want.

Most of the time I vape at just 7-8 watts, and trust me on this, if I let the wick become dry the vape becomes way to hot.
    So the amount of watts you use, by itself, means nothing. You need to have the ratio of wattage/wicking/air flow correct for a proper vape.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I think there is a practical limit to how big of a build and how much power you can feed it with every tank. Namely it comes down to how big the juice channels are.

With the Lemo2's I usually run them with single wire coils at 15-25W without any issues. Some of the builds barely cover the air hole in the deck and others are as wide as the deck.

While higher PG (or H20 added) juices might wick faster/better at the end of the day it comes down to how well the build is wicking the fairly limited juice channels that the Lemo2 provides.

Maybe higher "heat flux" rating in Steam Engine is in order?

13. Christian Sheasley

Christian Sheasley Full Member

Mar 1, 2016
    One thing nobody really mentioned was just how touchy the right wicking can be--a little too much wick and you get dry hits, a little too little wick and you are eating juice with lots of gurgling. If you are constantly getting dry hits right after building your coil, try opening it back up and trimming a little more off of the wick. Keep doing this until you get a good, consistent juice flow with no gurgling but also no dry hits. This was my biggest challenge when I started building my own coils. I was jamming a ton of wick in thinking more was better but I was constantly getting dry hits so I started putting as little as possible, just enough that the wick was touching the juice flow holes, and everything has been great since.

14. MyMagicMist

MyMagicMist Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 28, 2014
    WV, USA
    For the OP: To illustrate herb's point a bit here I'll convey my current set up.

I am using a stock 1.5 ohm dual coil in a Smok T-Dux 3 tank. Presently, I am running at 8.5 to 9.5 Watts.
    Of a morning, not quite up to a full 9.5 Watts dumping vapor into me. Usually by mid afternoon I can
    do that.

If I use an RSST, a genesis style tank, I may use a 0.9 ohm coil and use around 15 - 20 Watts. I can do that because
    of how that tank is designed. Also the air flow hole on that tank's cap is drilled out to about 1/16th of an inch. It
    brings in plenty of air. The RSST also hammers me with vapor production.

I get fair vapor from T-Dux, ARO tanks. I never get OMFG Cloudz Bra type of vapor from the evod style tanks.
    They do provide enough that I feel satisfied in using them. The RSST is more of a special treat use tank. I am awaiting
    a tank which will fit in the middle, daily use and special use. It will be on a squonk set up and mechanical.

Using a mech, not going to be sure of wattage. Believe we can get something called 'kicks' that protect against shorts
    to a point. Not sure if I'll do that or not. It seems appropriate battery and mod usage also reduce short risks as well.

Point being, it's personal preference.

15. 93gc40

93gc40 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2014
    California
    Here's how I would go about determining best wattage for a build.. Start at lowest setting and work my way up to the best flavor setting. Also, I would do this in the dark or with eyes closed. Don't want the visual cortex influencing judgement of taste.

Of course as noted if the airflow and wicking and a few other factors are out of whack.. Of course the coil(s) itself may be the problem.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.