How much does continuous discharge hurt batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmonday

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2014
Carmel, California
The button got stuck on my 18350 mech mod built at 1.7 ohms and I didn't notice it was firing until 3 minutes later. The mod was really hot when I released the fire button. I'm guessing that before the 3 minute continuous discharge the battery was around 4.1 V and after when I put it on my charger it read 3.94 V. Did this damage the battery?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
3 minutes is a long time for a mod to be continuously firing. Your saving grace was your higher ohm build. I wouldn't use the mod until I was sure the button sticking issue is fully resolved.

I would keep a close eye on that battery, and monitor it during use (pop it out every so often and check the voltage) and as long as it doesn't discharge noticeably faster than normal, and it seems to be running at its normal temp range, it is probably fine.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
What battery were you using? Most of the cells we recommend around here have a CDR of 20 amps or above. [Edit: I missed it was an 18350. OP's cell is rated at 10A CDR.] CDR stands for "Continuous Discharge Rating." Take special note of that first word, "continuous." At 1.7 ohms, even on a full charge you're pulling 4.2/1.7 = about 2.5 amps. Was the battery itself hot when you took it out (you took it out and inspected it, right?)? Hotter than the mod, or cooler? I'm guessing the heat was just from the atomizer, I wouldn't expect a decent battery should get more than just barely warm, at 2.5A.

There is no real "hard limit" for what damages a battery and what doesn't. The harder you work it, the harder it takes it. The best thing you can do for a battery is never use it, but then you never use it. Low voltage doesn't really become a serious problem until you're well below 3.0v (I've heard past around 2.7 is iffy, and below 2.5 they're trash), but draining it down to 3.0 is harder on the cell than only hitting 3.2, and recharging at 3.5 or above is even better still. At 3.9, you've only drained about 1/4 of its total usable energy, at about 1/8 [1/4] of its max discharge rate. If there are no other signs of damage, I think you probably got off this time. I would have a look at the insulators on your mod and atty, though. If things got real hot they could have deformed, and you don't want that to cause a short later on.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Most of the cells we recommend around here have a CDR of 20 amps or above.
Since this is an 18350, I'm confident it's not a 20A battery. But still, pulling 2.5A (actually a bit less) from it for a few minutes is unlikely to do significant damage.

mrmonday

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2014
Carmel, California
What battery were you using? Most of the cells we recommend around here have a CDR of 20 amps or above. CDR stands for "Continuous Discharge Rating." Take special note of that first word, "continuous." At 1.7 ohms, even on a full charge you're pulling 4.2/1.7 = about 2.5 amps. Was the battery itself hot when you took it out (you took it out and inspected it, right?)? Hotter than the mod, or cooler? I'm guessing the heat was just from the atomizer, I wouldn't expect a decent battery should get more than just barely warm, at 2.5A.

There is no real "hard limit" for what damages a battery and what doesn't. The harder you work it, the harder it takes it. The best thing you can do for a battery is never use it, but then you never use it. Low voltage doesn't really become a serious problem until you're well below 3.0v (I've heard past around 2.7 is iffy, and below 2.5 they're trash). You've drained about 1/4 of its total usable energy, at about 1/8 of its max discharge rate. If there are no other signs of damage, I think you probably got off this time. I would have a look at the insulators on your mod and atty, though. If things got real hot they could have deformed, and you don't want that to cause a short later on.
It's a brand new battery, Vapcell Purple 18350. I believe it's an 11 amp battery. The battery was nowhere near as hot as the mod, so I think you're right about the atomizer creating the heat, I will check the insulators.

Reactions: Heartsdelight

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Since this is an 18350, I'm confident it's not a 20A battery. But still, pulling 2.5A (actually a bit less) from it for a few minutes is unlikely to do significant damage.
Oh I missed that it was an 18350. Yeah those have lower discharge rates, for sure.

It's a brand new battery, Vapcell Purple 18350. I believe it's an 11 amp battery. The battery was nowhere near as hot as the mod, so I think you're right about the atomizer creating the heat, I will check the insulators.
@Mooch rated that one at 10A, so 2.5-ish for a couple of minutes is still well within spec:

d2b553a9-4db9-4312-a10f-012c117e0d9b-jpeg.749849

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The button got stuck on my 18350 mech mod built at 1.7 ohms and I didn't notice it was firing until 3 minutes later. The mod was really hot when I released the fire button. I'm guessing that before the 3 minute continuous discharge the battery was around 4.1 V and after when I put it on my charger it read 3.94 V. Did this damage the battery?

3.7v and 1.7 ohms comes out to be a little over 2A on the ohms law calculator. I agree with all who said that the heat came from the atomizer heat sinking into the case of the mech mod.

Ohms Law Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread