How much nicotine am I getting per vape hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ17

Feb 22, 2021
Okay, so I Vape in very “precise” ways but I cannot figure out how to calculate (do the proper math) on how much I nicotine I am consuming. Can someone help? I have been vaping the exact same way daily for a long time, but still don’t know how much nicotine I get (just an estimate) per session because I suck at math...

Details:
1.) I vape 3mg (3mg of nicotine, per ml of juice) of nicotine using a “Smok Nfix” that holds a 3ml pod of nicotine juice. So that’s 9mg of nicotine, per pod.

2.) I set the wattage to exactly 22W on the vape, always, and it is a MTL pod device.

3.) I take EXACTLY 5 puffs over a period of 5-10 mins. Every puff is EXACTLY 5 seconds. Sometimes only 4 seconds, but just say 5 to make it easier. I use my watch or phone’s timer to make certain the timing is exact. I inhale the same way every time. So 5 puffs X 5 seconds, per puff, equals 25 seconds total for each vape session. After those 5 puffs, I don’t vape again (at all) for 1-3 hours, just depending.

....But how do I figure out how much nicotine I am getting in those 5 puffs? I know that in my Nfix pod there is 9mg of nicotine, in each pod.

I also believe 1 full pod (3ML) gives approximately 325 seconds worth of puffs, with each puff being only 1 SECOND. I only tested this one time so I am not certain, but it’s an estimate.

Can anyone help me do the right math here?
I also still smoke ultra light Marlboro cigarettes (from what I read on multiple sources you only absorb about 0.5mg to 0.7mg of nicotine per cig on the ultra lights) but only 1-3 cigarettes per day.
But I am wondering if my 5 puffs on the vape (5 puffs @ 5 second each) is even remotely close to being equal to an ultra light cigarette that has about 0.5mg nicotine per cig?
Thanks, I suck at math so if anyone can help lol

• Useful
Reactions: Izan

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    The best way is to count the number of puffs per tank. Most mods have a puff counter so you won't have to do this manually. When yo fill up your tank reset puff counter to zero, then vape as you normally do. When it is time to refill the tank, check your puff counter.

Puffs divided by tank volume (ml) = puffs/ml
    Nicotine concentration (mg/ml) divided by puffs/ml= nicotine/puff

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    If you use 3mg/ml e-Liquid, and fill up a 3ml Pod with it, then you have 9mg's of Total Nicotine in the Pod.

Now if a 3ml Pod lasts 325 Seconds of Vape Time, and if each puff is 5 Seconds long, then your the Pod would last 65 Puffs.

Since a 3ml pod contains 9mg's of Total Nicotine, each Puff would contain .1385mg's (9mg / 65 Puffs) of Nicotine.

Absorption rates are Tricky. But a 35% Absorption rate is not Unheard of.

So for each Puff you take, you would Absorb about 0.0485mg (.1385mg x .35) of Absorbed Nicotine.

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hi and welcome,
    Apply the same basic formula from combustion cigarettes to your vape. IMO, we absorb about 30%-40% of the nicotine in our juice.
    However, the basic rule of thumb is, too much nicotine and you will start to salivate, perhaps get light headed and begin to feel a bit nauseated. Put it down, take a break and drink some water.
    If you are not getting enough, the nicotine monkey will tell you.

Consider that nicotine is NOT the harmful chemical in cigarettes or vaping.
    For cigarettes it is the combustion, for vapes, IMO, it is the flavors and bi-products of over heating that pose the greatest risks.

TLDR,
    Vape as much as you need to avoid combustion cigarettes.
    Once you are off the thousands of chemicals in cigarettes for a while, the nicotine component of the "habit" can be tackled, if desired.

Welcome to the ECF.
    We are a great bunch of quitters!
    Cheers
    I

Last edited:

LJ17

Feb 22, 2021
    If you use 3mg/ml e-Liquid, and fill up a 3ml Pod with it, then you have 9mg's of Total Nicotine in the Pod.

Now if a 3ml Pod lasts 325 Seconds of Vape Time, and if each puff is 5 Seconds long, then your the Pod would last 65 Puffs.

Since a 3ml pod contains 9mg's of Total Nicotine, each Puff would contain .1385mg's (9mg / 65 Puffs) of Nicotine.

Absorption rates are Tricky. But a 35% Absorption rate is not Unheard of.

So for each Puff you take, you would Absorb about 0.0485mg (.1385mg x .35) of Absorbed Nicotine.
    Awesome that’s exactly what I was looking for and thinking!
    I did 9 divided by 65 so many times, but kept thinking I was doing the math wrong. Ugh. Although now that you confirmed it, now I get it lol.

As for the 35% absorption rate for vaping nicotine, is that worst case, or the average for most people? I always thought it was around 50% absorbed when vaping, or is 35% more accurate?

If at 50% absorption 0.1384 x .50 = 0.0692mg, per puff.
    0.0692mg X 5 puffs = 0.3mg. Or is is 50% absorption rate too high to assume?

Also thanks everyone!

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Awesome that’s exactly what I was looking for and thinking!
    I did 9 divided by 65 so many times, but kept thinking I was doing the math wrong. Ugh. Although now that you confirmed it, now I get it lol.

As for the 35% absorption rate for vaping nicotine, is that worst case, or the average for most people? I always thought it was around 50% absorbed when vaping, or is 35% more accurate?

If at 50% absorption 0.1384 x .50 = 0.0692mg, per puff.
    0.0692mg X 5 puffs = 0.3mg. Or is is 50% absorption rate too high to assume?

Also thanks everyone!

35% is an Average Guesstimation.

Hardware, Wattage, Airflow, How Long a Person Hold in a Hit, etc... all Vary Widely when we talk about "e-Cigarettes". Clearly that Gazzilion Watt Lung Hit is Different from a 11W MTL Puff. How Much? That's hard to say.

I have Never seen any Study Data (that I felt was Credible) that showed Absorption Rates much higher than 45%. And 25% (for Modern Hardware/Pod Systems) is on the Low End of the Curve.

So using 35% seems like a Reasonable Number for something like this.

Reactions: Izan

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    Its literally impossible to determine. Too many variables and no real way to determine exactly how much nicotine YOUR body absorbs, which is most certainly different than almost anyone else. Since you suck at math, as you say, you are needlessly overthinking the issue. To simplify, there are two levels of nicotine you should concern yourself with...not enough and too much. Find the sweet spot there and dont worry about the numbers since math isn't your forte.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Okay, so I Vape in very “precise” ways but I cannot figure out how to calculate (do the proper math) on how much I nicotine I am consuming. Can someone help? I have been vaping the exact same way daily for a long time, but still don’t know how much nicotine I get (just an estimate) per session because I suck at math...

Details:
    1.) I vape 3mg (3mg of nicotine, per ml of juice) of nicotine using a “Smok Nfix” that holds a 3ml pod of nicotine juice. So that’s 9mg of nicotine, per pod.

2.) I set the wattage to exactly 22W on the vape, always, and it is a MTL pod device.

3.) I take EXACTLY 5 puffs over a period of 5-10 mins. Every puff is EXACTLY 5 seconds. Sometimes only 4 seconds, but just say 5 to make it easier. I use my watch or phone’s timer to make certain the timing is exact. I inhale the same way every time. So 5 puffs X 5 seconds, per puff, equals 25 seconds total for each vape session. After those 5 puffs, I don’t vape again (at all) for 1-3 hours, just depending.

....But how do I figure out how much nicotine I am getting in those 5 puffs? I know that in my Nfix pod there is 9mg of nicotine, in each pod.

I also believe 1 full pod (3ML) gives approximately 325 seconds worth of puffs, with each puff being only 1 SECOND. I only tested this one time so I am not certain, but it’s an estimate.

Can anyone help me do the right math here?
    I also still smoke ultra light Marlboro cigarettes (from what I read on multiple sources you only absorb about 0.5mg to 0.7mg of nicotine per cig on the ultra lights) but only 1-3 cigarettes per day.
    But I am wondering if my 5 puffs on the vape (5 puffs @ 5 second each) is even remotely close to being equal to an ultra light cigarette that has about 0.5mg nicotine per cig?
    Thanks, I suck at math so if anyone can help lol
    There is no way to answer that question because absorption rate has not been studied in e-cigarettes. So unlike cigarettes we don't know how much nicotine we're actually getting we only know how much nicotine is in the liquid. Any correlation is simply a guess some can be educated guessesbut it's still a guess because they never bothered to do any studies on absorption rates.

Now for a neat little information blurb It's actually not neat It's infuriating. Cigarettes have such strong lobbies and such strong ties to government that they managed to get their product taxed based on absorption rate. E-liquid on the other hand all proposals have sought to tax it based on total volume of the product not even the nicotine but the product. So not only are they trying to tax the amount of nicotine that's in the bottle but also the Fijian PG cumulatively with the flavors and everything else the total volume of liquid. It would be like taxing cigarettes based on the weight of the entire package.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread