How much nicotine can your throat tolerate?

What is the highest nicotine concentration that your throat can tolerate at your desired wattage?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Well like 99% of all answers on ECF, it depends!

I started on 48mg nic 5.5 years ago and was fine, about 2 months later reduced to 36.
Back 2 years ago, I was still at 12 and 9 before switching to DTL. Now I vape 3mg and I have a couple eliquids I make that I bump to 5 or 6mg that will break me out in a sweat if I chain vape for 15 minutes..

NLVaper69

Mar 24, 2018
I started with 18mg 2,5 years ago. Then went to 15, 12, 9, 6, 4 and then 3mg over two years but noticed I also went up with my liquid consumption evenly haha. Cos when i started i used like 2 tot 3 ml a day and it went up along with the downgrading nicotine to 10 - 15ml a day.

Went back from DL to MTL half a year ago and up with the nic to 12 and 16mg and now i'm on like 4 - 5 ml a day, and that's fine with me now. I have no intentions on cutting down again.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Many folks starting/using that high may be using nic salts, which are smoother and don't have a throat hit.

I use nic salts at 18 mg/ml, I'd say now that my respiratory system has calmed down, I could probably use freebase at this point .My throat was pretty torn up when I got here.

Often, you'll see folks raising or lowering, depending on where they are in the quitting/vaping process. It's not unusual at all for nic tolerance to change (either becoming higher OR lower). I've pretty much used 18 mg/ml when I started vaping I am still tolerating that just fine.

Anna

Reactions: Asmani

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
48mg... Where do you get this nicotine from?

Here 48 mg is not a problem to get. There are many vendors that have that and higher levels. I usually get it from Nicotine River.

I get the 48mg mix of base nicotine salt because it is high enough for my mixing and it is the highest level of nicotine that can be shipped regular mail. Anything above that has to ship as hazmat and that can be a hassle.

What level of Nicotine do you have access to in Iran?

Nicotine river Nicotine Salts
PurNic™ Smooth Nicotine Salts

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
When I first switched to subohm vaping my juice was still 36mg’s of nicotine. My throat had no problem inhale/exhale the juice. The problem was my body couldn’t handle that much nicotine so I lowered it. I now vape 20mg’s of nicotine but my throat can handle at least 36mg’s and most likely more. Others who’ve tried my juice have coughed uncontrollably both with my present setup (20mg’s .2-.7 at 40-60 watts) and with my previous setup (36mg’s 2.4-1.8 at 10ish watts). So it could be my throat is lined with granite. I don’t know it’s never been tested for mineral content.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
As far as 'throat toleration' is concerned, can Total Daily Nicotine be a consideration? mg/ml x ml/day = TDN
I vape at a temperature limited (if/when it kicks in) 50mg/ml...unflavored 85% VG / 10% DW. I consume less than 2ml/day. I have vaped the same with no temperature control for some time. Vaped usually at 10 or 12 watts.

Another factor in long-term throat toleration might be the temperature of the vape.

Desired wattage seemingly could vary with the nicotine concentration...they are not necessarily independent factors, are they?

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
As far as 'throat toleration' is concerned, can Total Daily Nicotine be a consideration? mg/ml x ml/day = TDN
I vape at a temperature limited (if/when it kicks in) 50mg/ml...unflavored 85% VG / 10% DW. I consume less than 2ml/day. I have vaped the same with no temperature control for some time. Vaped usually at 10 or 12 watts.

Another factor in long-term throat toleration might be the temperature of the vape.

Desired wattage seemingly could vary with the nicotine concentration...they are not necessarily independent factors, are they?
Hello @Cool_Breeze -

Apologies - it's Monday & my sluggish brain is struggling more than usual, but I'm curious & likely misread your comment...

You mention that you typically consume < 2ml/day, with a daily nic intake in the region of 75mg. So does that mean your final mix amounts to ~50mg/ml?

I wasn't sure if it was 85% VG + 10% DW + 5% nic base@50 mg/ml. Presumably not, since you'd need to consume tens of mls each day to reach 75mg?

Do the VG and DW smooth out the throat hit a little (assuming freebase nic)? As a high PG user, I'm trying to imagine the thump from 50mg/ml!

Many Thanks.

Last edited:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Hello @Cool_Breeze -

Apologies - it's Monday & my sluggish brain is struggling more than usual, but I'm curious & likely misread your comment...

You mention that you typically consume < 2ml/day, with a daily nic intake in the region of 75mg. So does that mean your final mix amounts to ~50mg/ml?

I wasn't sure if it was 85% VG + 10% DW + 5% nic base@50 mg/ml. Presumably not, since you'd need to be consume tens of mls each day to reach 75mg?

Do the VG and DW smooth out the throat hit a little (assuming freebase nic)? As a high PG user, I'm trying to imagine the thump from 50mg/ml!

Many Thanks.

Essentially, I vape 50mg/ml e-liquid. I have 100mg/ml nicotine base stock in VG. I cut that by 50% with VG (45% of final total) and DW (10% of final total). That yields 85% VG, 10% DW and 5% (or 50mg/ml) nicotine.

Example: To mix a 120 ml bottle of 50mg/ml...
54ml of 100mg/ml VG based stock (inc. ~48ml VG and 6 grams* of nicotine)
48ml of pure VG
12ml of Distilled Water
-------------------------
120ml of 5% (50mg/ml) Nicotine (6 grams* Total Nicotine)

6 grams* / 120ml = .05 grams/ml or 5% nicotine
1ml of my mix contains 5% nicotine or 50mg.
I haven't taken a recent assay of my consumption rates, but let's say 1.6ml/day as past averages were in that range...

Hence 1.6ml x 50mg/ml = 80mg/day...certainly variable from day to day. That's equivalent to 8/100ths of a gram a day...a little less than 1/10th of a gram of nicotine consumed per day.

*For mixing strictly by weight, consult your fiendly mix by weight authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread