How much water is possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javamon

Verified Member
Nov 29, 2014
Hudson Valley, NY
Ok, there was a thread about water a couple of years ago - with lots of jokes. :) I would have continued there but it eventually got closed.

I know water vapes at a much higher temp than VG/PG. I know Some water gets used - for flavor and PG or VG thinning.

But, what percentage of water is acceptable and still doesn't kill the vaping process?

Yup, I know it will reduce the quality of the cloud.
Yup, I know plain water doesn't taste so great. Water with some menthol flavor does, though.

So, what percentage doesn't kill the chemistry? Thanks.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Ok, there was a thread about water a couple of years ago - with lots of jokes. :) I would have continued there but it eventually got closed.

I know water vapes at a much higher temp than VG/PG. I know Some water gets used - for flavor and PG or VG thinning.

But, what percentage of water is acceptable and still doesn't kill the vaping process?

Yup, I know it will reduce the quality of the cloud.
Yup, I know plain water doesn't taste so great. Water with some menthol flavor does, though.

So, what percentage doesn't kill the chemistry? Thanks.

water boils at 212 degrees F. PG boils at 370 degrees F.
VG boils at over 500 degrees F.
water starts vaporizing at about 180 degrees F at which point
it atomizes the rest of the mixture. PG and VG are hygroscopic
and attract water. typically juice will have 1 to 3 % water content
naturally depending on the humidity in the air.
most if not all cigalikes(the prefilled cartridges)contain distilled
water to maintain viscosity and to enhance the vapor.
yes water enhances the vape. percentages of 2 to 3 and up tp twenty percent are
not unheard of.
:2c:
regards
mike

iilex

Verified Member
Nov 12, 2014
Orlando, FL
If you want to stretch your dollar trying to make your juice last as long as possible; I suggest buying food grade VG from any reputable online vendor for DIY. For what it is, its ridiculously cheap. This will mute your flavor slightly ( even less so with pg instead), but won't hinder any part of the physical reaction. I actually cut my Cereal Killa with half VG. Still tastes almost every bit as strong, and gives me an extra week on the bottle.

Hope this helps!

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
It's actually not a stretch the dollar action. It's a health exploration. If I can vape with more liquid and less PG/VG, I'd like to explore that.
Looking for the highest percentage of water that doesn't kill the vape process.

I think you're going down the wrong path here. Better to vape without the water, and keep hydrated, IMHO.

As you add water you will find the vape less and less satisfying, which will make you want to vape more and enjoy it less. And even at 10% water (which is the highest most people would recommend) the drop-off in vapor and flavor far outweighs the minimal drop in PG/VG.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
PG boils at 370 degrees F.
VG boils at over 500 degrees F.
idk that, does it also start to vaporize at those temps

Boiling is not the same thing as vaporizing!

Fluids that can vaporize go through a fairly unique mechanism. A tiny amount of the fluid boils, but it pulls out with it a much larger volume of un-boiled liquid. This is why VG Vapor does not rip the flesh out of your throat; the vapor is FAR FAR FAR below the boiling point of VG.

Water doesn't do that; it just boils. Inhaling steam is not a pleasant experience.

Subdivisions

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
PA
There is something called latent heat of vaporization. It takes more than twice the BTUs for water to vaporize than either PG or VG.

EDIT: At their particular boiling point. Just to be clear. You can't vaporize something if you don't boil it (other than in evaporation which isn't happening here). It's much cooler because you're sucking a lot more air across the coil than you'd be getting through a cigarette

Last edited:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
It has to do with the attraction of the molecules to each other.

With VG, for example, liquid right against the coil gets hot enough to evaporate. But the evaporated gas has a high viscosity, and as it gets shot off the coil, it pulls a big blob of VG along with it. The tiny bit of "hot-gas" vg mixes with the big blob of cold-liquid vg, to make something that is just warm. (Big being a relative term).

Water doesn't do that. When you heat water, it turns to steam, but a boiling pot of water doesn't shoot out big globs of liquid. (In fact, steam itself is invisible; what we usually think of as steam is re-condensed, and has turned back to liquid).

I can't think of a good other example, because what happens when you vaporize a liquid is a pretty unusual phenomenon.

(Of course, here I am strictly referring to vaporizing using heat. A spray bottle or atomizer works completely differently).

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Boiling is not the same thing as vaporizing!

Fluids that can vaporize go through a fairly unique mechanism. A tiny amount of the fluid boils, but it pulls out with it a much larger volume of un-boiled liquid. This is why VG Vapor does not rip the flesh out of your throat; the vapor is FAR FAR FAR below the boiling point of VG.

Water doesn't do that; it just boils. Inhaling steam is not a pleasant experience.

I am sorry, you are extremely wrong at it.
Liquid boils as a single unit, not by its components. It's physics. Thermodynamics, if you will.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
It has to do with the attraction of the molecules to each other.

With VG, for example, liquid right against the coil gets hot enough to evaporate. But the evaporated gas has a high viscosity, and as it gets shot off the coil, it pulls a big blob of VG along with it. The tiny bit of "hot-gas" vg mixes with the big blob of cold-liquid vg, to make something that is just warm. (Big being a relative term).

Water doesn't do that. When you heat water, it turns to steam, but a boiling pot of water doesn't shoot out big globs of liquid. (In fact, steam itself is invisible; what we usually think of as steam is re-condensed, and has turned back to liquid).

I can't think of a good other example, because what happens when you vaporize a liquid is a pretty unusual phenomenon.

(Of course, here I am strictly referring to vaporizing using heat. A spray bottle or atomizer works completely differently).

Again you are very wrong on most accounts. Water vapor is very visible (chilled for machines, for example). No "big blobs of VG" pulled by vapor, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread