• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

How - technical

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapGeek

Verified Member
Oct 11, 2015
Local
I believe vaping helped me by keeping me away from cigarettes. I have better sense of smell now after 3 weeks of vaping, I smell better and likely to save more money in the long run (Unless I go crazy and start acquiring more vaping toys ;p)

I first tried vaping about 5 years ago, bought a simple kit. I stop vaping and went back to analog after about one week because it just didnt taste right or I couldn't get the 'feel'. The reason being I didn't know what I was doing, tried to increase voltage and different juice.

Therefore, I think it might be useful to start a technical thread on vaping to get the experienced ones to share some knowledge to address some issues that newbie like me might come across. Because I believe that if you do not understand the principle/logic about coils and wicking, you will go back to smoking and pay the price like I did.

Below are information which I got through google or experimentation (I only have a TFV4 to experiment on), therefore I may not be correct.

Please feel free to correct the information.

This is not meant to state which is the best method, it is meant to help newbies like me to achieve the vaping experience we want.

1) Wicking

General

Too much wick in coil - burnt taste after couple of vape
Reason: The wick in the coil is too tight thus unable to hold enough juice or hard for the wick to get soak fast enough.

Too little wick in coil - spitback
Reason: Excessive juice on the coils. When u fire up, the extra juice will bubble up like boiling water and 'pops' up into your mouth. Imagine a boiling a pot of water (Big bubbles) vs small puddle of water (Small bubbles).

For RBAs

Too much wick in juice channel
- burnt taste after couple of vape
Reason: Restricts the flow of juice to the coil

Too little wick in juice channel or over juice channel - leaks through air hole
Reason: Not enough wick to block the flow of juice

(For me, I found out the best is trim the wick just enough to cover the top of the juice channel)

Quoting Epic_Sinner
"Make sure when you thread through cotton the coil does not shred, but it does not go through too loose. Secondly you want it to cover the juice channels, not protruding. Lastly, fluff your cottons at the ends so they become thinner and forms like an umbrella covering the juice channels. When juice flows, it should spread nicely across the thin shreds of fluffed up cotton and wicking is fast"

2) Coil

Tight Coil - More flavorful but less vapor
Spread Coil - More vapor but taste is reduced. (Lower throat hit)
Lower resistance - higher
Vapor Production, More Intense Flavor, Warmer Vapor (With higher wattage)
Higher resistance - lower Vapor Production, Cooler vapor

3) Air Flow

Higher Air Flow - More vapor, Cooler Vapor, less flavor
Lower Air Flow - Less vapor, Warmer Vapor, more intense flavor

Plse contribute so that we can have a more educated vaping experience :)

Useful Links:
Coil Wrapping Calculator: http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?mat=ti1&s=dp&r=0.2&awg=28&id=2.5
Info about Batteries (Jump to 3:20 if u just wanna know which battery to buy) :

Last edited:

VapGeek

Verified Member
Oct 11, 2015
Local
2) Coil

Tight Coil - More flavorful but less vapor
Spread Coil - More vapor but taste is reduced. (Lower throat hit)
Lower resistance - higher
Vapor Production, More Intense Flavor, Warmer Vapor (With higher wattage)
Higher resistance - lower Vapor Production, Cooler vapor

Adding on (I cant edit my first post in this threat)
I experimented with more wraps vs less wraps, basically its a comparison of surface area.
28G Kanthal Parallel (6/5rounds = 12 coil wraps) vs 24G Kanthal (6/5 rounds = 6 coil wraps)
Both done with Pancake Wicking style (Rayon Cotton)

I did it this way, so that I can keep the resistance as similar as possible (0.28Ω vs 0.25Ω) (198 mW/mm²@50W vs 221 mW/mm²@50W)

Result:
28G Kanthal Parallel has a warmer, stronger flavor and more vapor compared to the 24G Kanthal.

20151031190357s.jpg
20151028020204s.jpg

My conclusion: More surface area at the same heat flux (same Ω and wattage) = warmer, stronger flavor and more vapor
reason being more juice are in contact thus more heat transfer = more vapor = more flavor

Will update again after a few more days of vaping on this coil setup.

Plse comment and add on your findings :)

Update:
I tried 28G Kanthal Parallel at 57.7w to get the same heat flux of 221 mW/mm²@57.7W
vs the 24G Kanthal @ 221 mW/mm²@50W. Definitely a warmer and more flavorful vape.

Last edited:

VapGeek

Verified Member
Oct 11, 2015
Local
@VapGeek you might want to try to wash the coil :) - dryburn + water - helpful for those who dont want to rebuild weekly

for kanthal coil users only (as i only tried this on kanthal)

This is useful!!!! no need to waste time scrapping the coil. But think I will water-proof my mod first, the M80 Plus doesn't feels water-resistance enough to take splashes :)

samaral

Verified Member
Oct 24, 2015
This is useful!!!! no need to waste time scrapping the coil. But think I will water-proof my mod first, the M80 Plus doesn't feels water-resistance enough to take splashes :)
you can actually just make sure that your box mod is in a 90 degree angle when dousing it with water.. and carefully place it on a light tap so that you wont get water splashes anywhere.

once done, have a paper towel ready.. dab + wipe to make sure everything is clean (still at a 90 degree angle) inspect, then repeat.

goodluck! :)

MMM

Verified Member
Aug 16, 2015
__
you can actually just make sure that your box mod is in a 90 degree angle when dousing it with water.. and carefully place it on a light tap so that you wont get water splashes anywhere.

once done, have a paper towel ready.. dab + wipe to make sure everything is clean (still at a 90 degree angle) inspect, then repeat.

goodluck! :)
For me, I'd normally get a container or a bottle cover. So it wouldn't splatter everywhere.

Reactions: samaral

samaral

Verified Member
Oct 24, 2015
For me, I'd normally get a container or a bottle cover. So it wouldn't splatter everywhere.
i tried the same method, and what i liked with a running tap is the force of water due to gravity running on the heated coil compared to a small container.

Once im happy i...

1. Dry fire one last time to make sure everything is dry
2. Wipe any droplets on the well with a paper towel or a cotton bud.
3. Readjust the coils again (retighten screws, pinch/spread) prior to wicking.
4. Presto! clean coilz ready for the new juice

VapGeek

Verified Member
Oct 11, 2015
Local
Adding on (I cant edit my first post in this threat)
I experimented with more wraps vs less wraps, basically its a comparison of surface area.
28G Kanthal Parallel (6/5rounds = 12 coil wraps) vs 24G Kanthal (6/5 rounds = 6 coil wraps)
Both done with Pancake Wicking style (Rayon Cotton)

I did it this way, so that I can keep the resistance as similar as possible (0.28Ω vs 0.25Ω) (198 mW/mm²@50W vs 221 mW/mm²@50W)

Result:
28G Kanthal Parallel has a warmer, stronger flavor and more vapor compared to the 24G Kanthal.

My conclusion: More surface area at the same heat flux (same Ω and wattage) = warmer, stronger flavor and more vapor
reason being more juice are in contact thus more heat transfer = more vapor = more flavor

Will update again after a few more days of vaping on this coil setup.

Plse comment and add on your findings :)

Update:
I tried 28G Kanthal Parallel at 57.7w to get the same heat flux of 221 mW/mm²@57.7W
vs the 24G Kanthal @ 221 mW/mm²@50W. Definitely a warmer and more flavorful vape.

Thots after a day of vaping on the parallel coils: Nicotine overdose! I got nicotine high in the middle of the day with less than 20 puffs (Total puff counter is at 120 till now)
and you can see the juice really depletes fast. (Going to change the coils tonight, feeling a bit sick after a day and I only have one type of juice which is at 6mg Nic)

So If u find your vape lacking in satisfaction or 'no kick', increase the numbers of coil while maintaining same amount of heat produce (Heat Flux, not wattage).

Another I notice is that there is less lag time in the coil heating up due to the smaller wire gauge used, which is a good thing.

Reactions: MMM

VapGeek

Verified Member
Oct 11, 2015
Local
For Reference

Closed (Almost) coil vs Spreaded Coil
Both are parallel 28G Kanthal at 0.28Ω running at 45W-50W

Tried using pancake wicking style for both, but the length of the spread coil does restrict how much cotton ends I can have.

20151031190357s.jpg
20151106174256s.jpg

Just finished 5 days of vaping on the spread coil on the right.

1) Flavour is more mute.
2) I found the vapor production is about the same, if not slightly lesser.
(Based on what I read, spread coil is suppose to have more vapor production. In my case, it might be the coils are not aligned centre over the air hole. I may test this setup again to confirm)
3) Nicotine 'hit' is not as strong as the closed coils (Personally, I found the nicotine 'hit' was too strong for me on the closed coil).

As usual, this is what I have experienced through my testing. Do share your experience.

Last edited:

Feeq

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2015
For Reference

Closed (Almost) coil vs Spreaded Coil
Both are parallel 28G Kanthal at 0.28Ω running at 45W-50W

Tried using pancake wicking style for both, but the length of the spread coil does restrict how much cotton ends I can have.

View attachment 503998 View attachment 503999

Just finished 5 days of vaping on the spread coil on the right.

1) Flavour is more mute.
2) I found the vapor production is about the same, if not slightly lesser.
(Based on what I read, spread coil is suppose to have more vapor production. It my case, it might be the coils are not aligned centre over the air hole. I may test this setup again to confirm)
3) Nicotine 'hit' is not as strong as the closed coils (Personally, I found the nicotine 'hit' was too strong for me on the closed coil).

As usual, this is what I have experienced through my testing. Do share your experience.

26G kanthal wire
Parallel coil build 7-9 wraps for both coils(totally closed)
0.28 ohm resistance
Scottish roll wicking
Hellboy RDA
Running at 50-70++W
Vapor 9/10
Flavour 7/10

This is great for cloud chasers. Just that the after taste will be kind of bitter. It conserves a bit more juice(2-4 puffs etc) in my opinion.

Reactions: MMM

VapGeek

Verified Member
Oct 11, 2015
Local
I tried 28G Kanthal 10 wraps (Close wraps) (0.92 ohm) 217mW/mm²@45W.

I got the similar flavour and incredible amount vapor production like the parallel coil.

The only problem I faced is the coil gets gunk up after 2-3 days. Which might be due to coil being too tight together (Just got the coiling kit). I tried wicking with different amount of wick, but still couldnt get it to last longer (No significant trace of brown/burning on the cotton). Going to try to spread the coil a bit to see if there is any difference.

In conclusion, this just made me realised that I dont need to go to low ohm to get what I need. Since it is producing similar result to the kanthal 28G parellel coil at 0.25ohm.

Using the Steam Engine calculator, I paid attention to the following:

1. Amount coil wraps (Resonable amount for surface contact to cotton for heat transfer - I kind of like 10 wraps for now)

2. Heat Capacity (How fast the coil heats up - lower the number the faster coil heats up, which means lower lag time for me - I am targeting 30 mJ/K)

3. Heat flux (Wattage to use to achieve my desired vapor temperature - cool or warm vape> 170 mW/mm² when I want a cooler vape or 210mW when I want warmer vape)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread