How to break in a coil..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
My coils have been giving out really fast. My brother says you have to break in your coils. I vape at around 20 watts. Where should I start at? And how should I move it up in wattage and how fast? Thanks in advance for any help. :)
Hi flutter,
What kind of equipment are you using?
Which tank/battery?
What coil are you using?
What juice do you vape?

Cheers
I

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
My coils have been giving out really fast. My brother says you have to break in your coils. I vape at around 20 watts. Where should I start at? And how should I move it up in wattage and how fast? Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Not exactly sure what your Brother means by "Breaking In" a coil?

When I start using a New Coil, I like to Dial Back the Wattage a tad to make sure the Coil is working like it should. And that the Wicking is Wicking right.

If I Normally vaped at 20 Watts for a given Coil, I might do the first Couple of hits at 15w or so. If All is good, I might go to 17.5w. Then go to 20w. From there, I adjust the Wattage either Up or Down to find the Sweet Spot.

It's not really an Exact Science. But it can minimize the Chances of getting a Dry Hit/Burnt Cotton right out of the gate.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA

I don't break them in unless you call breaking them in getting the glowing from the inside out. I usually make the glow at 80W then wick and juice up the cotton n make sure everything is working right and that's also breaking in the cotton. I usually vape at 150 or more. I use a NLPWM lipo mod I built so I never really know what wattage I'm vaping at. With the coil (.45 ) I have and on a full charged lipo running at max voltage it comes out to 262W but I don't run it wide open. Anyways, I don't think breaking coils in really needs to be done. Breaking in wicking...yes but not breaking in coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: fluttershy85

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't break them in unless you call breaking them in getting the glowing from the inside out. I usually make the glow at 80W then wick and juice up the cotton n make sure everything is working right and that's also breaking in the cotton. I usually vape at 150 or more. I use a NLPWM lipo mod I built so I never really know what wattage I'm vaping at. With the coil (.45 ) I have and on a full charged lipo running at max voltage it comes out to 262W but I don't run it wide open. Anyways, I don't think breaking coils in really needs to be done. Breaking in wicking...yes but not breaking in coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a Note. I believe the OP uses a Tank that takes Pre-Made Coil Heads.

:)

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Innokin's coils (from my experience) have a very fast break in time, within two or four drags the vape is normal. As far as breaking in coils to increase longevity, that's a myth. It's just metal and cotton there's no changes that occur during those first few drags that will make the coil gunk up slower.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Welcome @fluttershy85 and I hope you enjoy your stay!

What your brother probably means is properly priming your coils and slowly working your way up to your preferred wattage. I personally run my coils at around 20-25% lower than the minimum recommended wattage because I find better flavor and extended coil life. To each his/her own though and this is just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread