Breaking in a new coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnB85

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
Savannah, GA
I haven't seen or heard anyone talk about breaking in pods. The most I've seen is the primer puffs or letting it sit. I believe the break-in you're talking about occurs with subohm tanks. I personally break all my tanks in the way you are describing. I'd say you'll probably be good letting them sit, if not do some primer puffs the next coil, and keep adding things until you find something that makes it taste good from hit #1.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Njord is an RDA. Yes.

Nord from Smok is s pod system.

I think every coil does need a break in time. Does not matter which system. Cotton must be soaked to deliver vape. So the discussion is a reasonable one for me.
Not rebuildables. I rewick, juice the wick and its immediately ready, no further waiting makes any difference .

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
I think every coil does need a break in time. Does not matter which system. Cotton must be soaked to deliver vape. So the discussion is a reasonable one for me.
for pods or sub-ohm yes...
but for RDA's? RTa's? well maybe im to ignorant and lack about the reason why, but with re-buildables you just rewick, prime coil and cotton, dire couple of times, re-prime and soak with juice and you are free to go,
at least thats the way i have been doing this ... correct me if im wrong please,

Regards,

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I never prime my RTAs... Well actually I saturate the wick with juice and fire it for a while, to get rid of that "new rayon" taste, before filling it. I don't think that counts though because I am not gently and carefully increasing wattage as I do it, I just fire that sucker up at whatever watts I have been using.

Anna

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
I never prime my RTAs... Well actually I saturate the wick with juice and fire it for a while, to get rid of that "new rayon" taste, before filling it. I don't think that counts though because I am not gently and carefully increasing wattage as I do it, I just fire that sucker up at whatever watts I have been using.

Anna
interesting, i do prime and fire cuz i believe in the fact that priming and firing will cure the wick, no cotton taste and also will benefit the eliquid flow, since you fire and prime and fire and prime, will stablish like a liquid direction and avoid a bite more dry hits, at least works for me...!

Regards,

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I see most people say you should break in a new coil by starting at low wattage and working your way up. With the nord and dolphin this is not possible, so I wonder. This does not mean that the coil should not be properly primed, to me that is the most important thing.
    As a workaround when using fixed voltage like your pod and my old ego batteries, some of us would use a lower charged battery, not freshly charged. Even fixed voltage devices seems to have Xtra Umpf, fresh off the charger.

dom qp

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2015
    South Central... Ontario
    Priming is a pseudo-myth, in my opinion.

You need to saturate the wicks. Either by sucking, dripping, or letting it sit for a bit. This is true.

But starting low and working your way up in power? I think that's just something we tell new people so they don't burn their cotton or wicks. Doesn't seem like people question these kind of tips and they just continue doing it.

If you have saturated wicks and you know how much power it really needs (in a pod type of device this is fixed), you shouldn't need to work your way up.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    interesting, i do prime and fire cuz i believe in the fact that priming and firing will cure the wick, no cotton taste and also will benefit the eliquid flow, since you fire and prime and fire and prime, will stablish like a liquid direction and avoid a bite more dry hits, at least works for me...!

Regards,
    Yes you prime, meaning saturate the coil and wick, but once you put the tank back together, there's no waiting period like a drop in

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
    I use drop in coils, stock, whatever the prefered name is. I saturate them fully by putting a drop in each hole, letting it soak, and repeating it till they visually cant absord any more and I can see the cotton inside the coil is fully saturated. That way I know 100% its wicked. There is also another reason I do it this way. And failure to do it this way I'm convinced is why now and then you hear people complain of a bad burnt tasting new coil.
    It's this reason. If you have not turned off your mod before refitting the tank and new coil, many mods will hit the coil for a split second with power to read it's ohms. Not all do that instantly as some ask first with "new coil?" before they do it. But some just do it as soon as the tanks screwed down. That split second test on a coil only partially wicked that was intended to sit is now ruined and will always taste burnt. Always fully wick the coil visually, make sure your mod is not turned on. And if you dont want to fully wick it yourself and just do a few drops and let it sit, then let it sit on its own off the mod. When I started I ruined numerous coils by partially wicking, then putting the tank on the mod where it without me knowing tested the coils ohms and ruined the coil.
    Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth here whilst the subject was going.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread