ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Since we have discussed the various types of drill bits, I have a question about the the various types. Of course the interest would be in a bit that can stand up to drilling stainless steel.

From the Precision Drill site they say that they offer bits made of: "cobalt, High Speed Steel (HSS) or solid carbide". So which type would work best for drilling stainless?

I have found 135° HSS bit to work best for drilling SS... They are a heavier duty bit vs. 118° bits you find in a standard drill bit set. They don't caost all that much more either.

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
Like muzichead, I favor a 1350 bit for stainless. I'll go with HHS as long as it works; otherwise, cobalt. In all cases of difficult or work hardened material, I'll thin the web if the bit is big enough to see what I'm doing. Solid carbide bits withstand the heat of drilling plastics and composits, but are going to have a very thick web. For anything involving e-cigs and their modification, I would stick with plain high speed steel bits.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
A hole is created by removing matter with the aid of a drill. Adhering to all the safety precautions posted previously, proceed to remove matter till hole of desired size and depth. Observe hole to determine nature of hole :
- if it fills with air , it's an airhole
- if water accumulates in it, it's a waterhole ( not to be mistaken with a watering hole - water is the least encountered fluid in these )
- if **holes assemble in it, it's a capital... ;)

Jerry J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Portland, OR

Jerry J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Portland, OR
I have found 135° HSS bit to work best for drilling SS... They are a heavier duty bit vs. 118° bits you find in a standard drill bit set. They don't caost all that much more either.

I bet that I can get exactly that at Fastenal. I looked at H. Depot tonight and the guy there recommended a cobalt bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread