How to get an advocate published

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Does anyone know where I can get vaping advocacy writings published?

Long story short, I recently obtained a degree in biomedical engineering. Since I graduated I have been spending quite a bit of time researching vape research (if that makes sense) and vaping in general. I'm hoping to make a career of some sort in this industry because it is something I feel very passionate about and I feel I have a unique contribution to make here.

Those of you who've seen me around here know that I have a penchant for taking crummy scientific studies done on vaping and ripping them apart. I have been writing for a website for a while now, and much of my work there involves taking apart these studies and explaining them. My aim is to provide cannon fodder for my readers so they are better armed in arguments with those who are heavily anti-vaping. I feel in our current climate this is desperately needed now, and I'm glad to be able to use my scientific background to help.

Unfortunately, however, the website I write for revolves primarily around marketing, so the vast majority of places where I feel my writings would be useful won't allow me to link to my own articles (they are often suspected as spam due to affiliate links). This is understandable, but it is severely restricting, and I feel like I'm having a very hard time getting my voice heard.

Does anyone know where else I can get my work published? I want my writings to be more visible so they are available to more people.

I thought about vape magazines, but I don't think my writings will be super helpful if they are only published monthly or semi-annually (I currently publish weekly as a part time job). I also thought about setting up my own blog site, but I don't know the first thing about setting up a blog and/or running my own website, and I have no idea how much time it would take to get that going and spread the word about it.

Any other ideas?

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Yes.

Start a blog.
Publish an e-book and get it on Amazon.

for starters.

Personally, I would not use an established blog site. I would pay for my own domain name and hosting, etc.

If you purchase Writers Market, you will be amazed after browsing thousands o pages just how many trade publications and other opportunites there are to publish. Send queries to those with whom you may be a good fit.

Sounds to me like you need to learn a little more about writing and publishing industies....... you got the technical side (biomedical) wrapped up, but ths is a completely diff field.

best o luck.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Yes.

Start a blog.
Publish an e-book and get it on Amazon.

for starters.

Personally, I would not use an established blog site. I would pay for my own domain name and hosting, etc.

If you purchase Writers Market, you will be amazed after browsing thousands o pages just how many trade publications and other opportunites there are to publish. Send queries to those with whom you may be a good fit.

Sounds to me like you need to learn a little more about writing and publishing industies....... you got the technical side (biomedical) wrapped up, but ths is a completely diff field.

best o luck.

Thank you :) yes I do need to learn more about the writing industry.

It sounds like start up costs will be an issue for me though :( some of this may have to be put off for a bit. I will start looking into what I can afford though.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Congrats on the new degree! Go get 'em, dragon!

Thank you :D and I will do my best!

Here's a free option to start your own blog:

www.blogger.com

You can use their URL (ex. "myblog.blogger.com"), or a custom URL purchased from a domain registrar (pretty affordable these days, but that's relative).

Info on that option:

https://support.google.com/blogger/troubleshooter/1233381#ts=1734115

HTH :)

Thank you Sonic :) it does look to me like it's best to start my own blog at this point.

Work is picking up tho, I currently have two jobs and it looks like I might be getting a full time one soon :) so it may be a while before I can get my own blog going, but I will start looking into it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread