How to lessen throat hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syakster

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2015
You're vaping at 19watts? Bump it down to 17. I vape at 21-23 watts on my subtank, when I left my wife try it I close the airflow down one, and bump the wattage down. I do this so she doesn't get a harsh throat hit since she doesn't vape much. Also you may want to try 3mg nicotine. It could be the PG, but I think in a subtank it's more the nicotine
Yeap, I did try all the different airflow sizes and all sorts of wattage. Was convinced that it's not the nicotine level because I've been vaping 6mg on all the local juices. Interestingly enough though, I got myself a 3mg Milkman and it's really nice and smooth. Now I'm wondering whether 6mg on local brands and US brands are a whole lot different, which is really odd.

Also got told that I should try warm steeping the Suicide Bunny. Leave it in hot water and until the water cools down to room temperature and repeat 4 times, with the lid left open. Apparently this would help evaporate any harsh chemicals and could make the juice a lot smoother. I hope that works because I really don't want to give up on the Suicide Bunny.

Syakster

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2015
I had the same issue... I tried a friend's 3mg, and it was much more enjoyable. I ended up dropping all my new purchases to 3mg, and haven't had one bad hit since :)
Ah that sucks to know because all the US brands over here are 6mg or more. Somehow vendors here just don't bother with ordering lower nic level juices.

Syakster

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2015
what about local vape shops... are there any? Have you thought about DIY juice?
Yeah we have quite a few local vape shops that sell US brands, but they only order 6mg or higher nicotine level juices. As for local brands, I always vape those that are 6 or even 9mg with no problems in terms of throat hit... Which is really weird! Problem is I feel that the US brands I've tried so far has far superior flavouring. We have plenty of flavours, but they all taste a bit perfumey.

Zamgage

Jul 10, 2015
Yeah we have quite a few local vape shops that sell US brands, but they only order 6mg or higher nicotine level juices. As for local brands, I always vape those that are 6 or even 9mg with no problems in terms of throat hit... Which is really weird! Problem is I feel that the US brands I've tried so far has far superior flavouring. We have plenty of flavours, but they all taste a bit perfumey.

some shops around here mix their own juices, and can accommodate to your nic level... but I have to agree... the pre-made juices are so flavorful and complex. Do places like Giant Vapes online ship to you?

Syakster

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2015
some shops around here mix their own juices, and can accommodate to your nic level... but I have to agree... the pre-made juices are so flavorful and complex. Do places like Giant Vapes online ship to you?
Oh yeah I heard about a DIY shop that just opened up, and I might give it a go. And yes, online shops do ship to this side of the world... It's just that I'm so impatient that I'd much rather visit all the local vape shops and hunt down my juice, rather than placing an order online and waiting for it... But I guess I don't have much choice here but to order.

I'm currently doing a warm water steep to my Suicide Bunny juice. Someone told me that they left the bottle in hot water with the lid open until the water cools down, and repeated the step 4 times and all the harshness seemed to just disappear. Something to do with letting all the harsh chemicals evaporate. I hope that works because the 3mg Milkman I have with me now was the last 3mg juice in the shop and they won't be ordering more any time soon.

Zamgage

Jul 10, 2015
Oh yeah I heard about a DIY shop that just opened up, and I might give it a go. And yes, online shops do ship to this side of the world... It's just that I'm so impatient that I'd much rather visit all the local vape shops and hunt down my juice, rather than placing an order online and waiting for it... But I guess I don't have much choice here but to order.

I'm currently doing a warm water steep to my Suicide Bunny juice. Someone told me that they left the bottle in hot water with the lid open until the water cools down, and repeated the step 4 times and all the harshness seemed to just disappear. Something to do with letting all the harsh chemicals evaporate. I hope that works because the 3mg Milkman I have with me now was the last 3mg juice in the shop and they won't be ordering more any time soon.

I understand allll about impatience. I will usually got to a local store, try a few things out, buy a few bottles to "get me through" and buy from GV's online... they have coupon codes and a massive selecion. Good luck with the steeping of that bottle... make sure you shake it in between water baths :)

Zamgage

Jul 10, 2015
for what it may be worth, I have also seen some suggestions for stretching juice by adding vg to them - adding some vg might help dilute it down (reduce nic level) and smooth out the throat hit a bit - with the added bonus of ending up with 'extra' juice

won't that also dilute flavor? I've been tempted to do this, but scared I'll lose the delicious flavor. lol

Syakster

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2015
for what it may be worth, I have also seen some suggestions for stretching juice by adding vg to them - adding some vg might help dilute it down (reduce nic level) and smooth out the throat hit a bit - with the added bonus of ending up with 'extra' juice
If my whole steeping thing doesn't work, I'll definitely give this a try... And if that doesn't work, I guess I'll just pass this bottle along to someone else :(

Syakster

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2015
I understand allll about impatience. I will usually got to a local store, try a few things out, buy a few bottles to "get me through" and buy from GV's online... they have coupon codes and a massive selecion. Good luck with the steeping of that bottle... make sure you shake it in between water baths :)
Thanks for the online shopping tips, I will most likely resort to this. Will keep this thread updated if the steeping works.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
won't that also dilute flavor? I've been tempted to do this, but scared I'll lose the delicious flavor. lol
from the posts I have read about it, it did not significantly reduce flavor (though it would have to dilute it a bit, I would think)... might be worth trying with a tanks' worth of juice to see what impact is

Reactions: Zamgage

Syakster

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2015
Just to update everyone... I did a few things to help lessen the throat hit on this juice.

1) Fast steeping, where I took the lid off from that bottle and left it in boiling water and wait for the water to cool down. I did this 5 times, with the 5th time being an all day open bottle steep.

This did not work, I was still getting the itchy throat hit, although not as bad as before it was steeped.

I then gave up on the bottle and left it in a drawer with the lid left open. I didn't intend on going back to this bottle, I was ready to give it away. Then I got my hand on a bottle of VG about 4 days later, and I decided to put a dollop of it into my tank then fill the rest up with Suicide Bunny Sucker Punch and now it tastes amazing. Smooth on the throat and lusciously creamy. I can't quite taste the dragon fruit, but there's some sort of fruit in there for sure.

Reactions: 3mg Meniere

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
I'm not getting any juice coming up. What do you mean flooding on the coil? And if so, how do I fix that?

You will know if the coil is flooding, you will get a gurgling noise or juice will be coming up through the drip tip or leaking out of the afc.

The fix isn't as easy to explain, certain coils, like the old kanger occ coils would flood for me no matter what I did. Over priming can be another common factor with too many people dripping juice into the top of the coil to avoid dry hits, this has gone a bit too far and does more harm than good especially with the vertical coils, a few drops in the juice holes and letting it sit in the tank for 20 mins and then a few primer pulls (sucking without firing the device with the afc closed, you should see some bubbles come out the juice holes) is usually far better, although many will disagree..High PG juice can also cause flooding as PG is a much thinner juice and the coil can't vaporize it fast enough. Pulling to hard can be another cause or vaping at too lower wattage.
Of course flip the above around and you could get dry hits so it's a balance of trial and error and just getting a feel for what works with what coils and tanks..

Last edited:

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
Just to update everyone... I did a few things to help lessen the throat hit on this juice.

1) Fast steeping, where I took the lid off from that bottle and left it in boiling water and wait for the water to cool down. I did this 5 times, with the 5th time being an all day open bottle steep.

This did not work, I was still getting the itchy throat hit, although not as bad as before it was steeped.

I then gave up on the bottle and left it in a drawer with the lid left open. I didn't intend on going back to this bottle, I was ready to give it away. Then I got my hand on a bottle of VG about 4 days later, and I decided to put a dollop of it into my tank then fill the rest up with Suicide Bunny Sucker Punch and now it tastes amazing. Smooth on the throat and lusciously creamy. I can't quite taste the dragon fruit, but there's some sort of fruit in there for sure.
You must be really sensitive to PG as I stated before, that juice is 70VG 30PG so you may need to vape max VG from now on. Im glad you got it sorted though.. Try The Milkman by vaping rabbit, thats max Vg / 99% VG...
Personally I think I'd just diy from now on, thats a win win really.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia

Could be different companies using a different nic for their juices.
Flavourings used could be irritating you.
Don't use boiling water to steep juices.
Could have been alcohol in the juice , just leave the top off for a while.
Adding the vg has diluted the juice a bit and lessened whatever it was irritating you , though also the flavour and nic strength depending on how much you put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread