How to Remove a nasty flavor from an atty without washing/rinsing?? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Here's how I fix the burnt taste or the nasty metallic taste an atty sometimes takes on:

- quick rinse in strong rum
- shake out
- dry burn
- drip DIY tobacco essence on it
- vape it straight for a few puffs
- add some tobacco extract to your first cart used next

Fixed 100% :)

I've no idea how or why the tobacco extract fixes those bad tastes but it does. It also fixes eliquid that's taken on a bad taste, as well. Haven't the foggiest how it does it, but it's become my WD40 - one tool to fix anything. It's probably all the toxic stuff BT adds to the tobacco to smooth out the flavors J.

To make DIY tobacco extract, see the Tobacco Liquid Extraction board under DIY eliquid. Basically, you just boil a very small amount of tobacco in VG. Apparently very little nicotine comes out but the flavor & fix-it potential is A1.

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
rolygate said:
Here's how I fix the burnt taste or the nasty metallic taste an atty sometimes takes on:

- quick rinse in strong rum
- shake out
- dry burn
- drip DIY tobacco essence on it
- vape it straight for a few puffs
- add some tobacco extract to your first cart used next

Fixed 100% :)

I've no idea how or why the tobacco extract fixes those bad tastes but it does. It also fixes eliquid that's taken on a bad taste, as well. Haven't the foggiest how it does it, but it's become my WD40 - one tool to fix anything. It's probably all the toxic stuff BT adds to the tobacco to smooth out the flavors J.

To make DIY tobacco extract, see the Tobacco Liquid Extraction board under DIY Eliquid. Basically, you just boil a very small amount of tobacco in VG. Apparently very little nicotine comes out but the flavor & fix-it potential is A1.
Thanks rolygate I'll give this a try as well. I do have a couple of bottles of really strong rum around here. I'm wondering if the rum sticks to the atty (the flavor at least) not that that would be a bad thing, I just don't know how well that would go with my thin mint liquid lol.

Update for everyone: I rinsed in lukewarm water for about 15 min and blew out the water while rinsing every 2 min or so throughout the 15 min. After that I blew out all traces of the water and set it near a blowdryer to dry for another 15 min. When the drying was done... I made the dumb mistake of doing a dry burn to make sure everything was completely dry and left a permanent burnt taste in my atty. (I think 15 min in front of a hot blowdryer is PLENTY of time to dry up a couple of miniscule drops of water) so, note for everyone that might use the above method to clean, don't do a dry burn longer than 1 second after drying your atty in front of a blowdryer.

Unless you know how to do it and not ruin the taste of your atty of course :)

Infernal2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2010
The Oil Coast, AL
I've found what rolygate said about the Tobacco juices and extracts to be spot on. In fact, I have a no-nic tobacco juice I use to "prime" my cartos after I wash them.

My cleaning cycle is a bit different.

I keep a coke bottle full of denatured alcohol for this purpose, drop my attys in (not my cartos), and shake like crazy for about a minute. Then, since denatured alcohol isn't exactly the best thing for you, I fill the battery side of the atty with rubbing alcohol and let then let them dry, which takes about five minutes.

I've found that the denatured breaks up even the toughest of my DIY concoctions, even low dilution mixes with oil flavourings where the rubbing alcohol will not.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
TA = Tobacco Absolut, a recognised product, a thick dark goopy liquid available from eg Perfumers Apprentice. It's made by dissolving TC.

TC = Tobacco Concrete, a waxy solid obtained by extracting materials from tobacco leaf using a solvent like benzene or hexane, then evaporating them to leave a solid. Available from PA.

TE = tobacco essence or extract = what people call their DIY liquids created by boiling tobacco in VG or any other DIY method.

Tobacco oil - no idea.

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
TA = Tobacco Absolut, a recognised product, a thick dark goopy liquid available from eg Perfumers Apprentice. It's made by dissolving TC.

TC = Tobacco Concrete, a waxy solid obtained by extracting materials from tobacco leaf using a solvent like benzene or hexane, then evaporating them to leave a solid. Available from PA.

TE = tobacco essence or extract = what people call their DIY liquids created by boiling tobacco in VG or any other DIY method.

Tobacco oil - no idea.
Thanks for the info. What is TC? Tobacco concentrate right? So then the process of making theTobacco Absolut is by disolving Tobacco concentrate? Sorry I'm a little lost, just clarifying

Dubs58

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2010
Texas
I liked the vid with the syringe method but, I dont pump 45X to dry, (I leave it on top of a very warm surface overnight) but the syringe is my choice when cleaning attys.

Just keep in mind most of these soaking methods will strip the paint off them. I always buy black attys but after a few cleanings some paint gets chipped off and I use my fingernail to get the rest off, then they are chrome. When I go out on weekends (and know someone will ask WTF is that?) I take new attys so they hit well and dont look like crap! lol

PS. I never dry burn. Im afraid of the same thing that happened to you Xanax:(

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
It depends on what I want to do:

• To just give it a quick clean; flush with clear water then "sonic clean" with very hot (not boiling) water.
  • To remove as much of an old flavor as possible; flush with clear water then "sonic clean" with very hot (not boiling) water with about 1/8th teaspoon of Baking Soda.
  • Every 3 months, or so, I'll "sonic clean" to remove old flavor then do another "sonic clean" with a 50% solution of hot (not boiling) water and vinegar. Then I'll do 2 more "sonic cleans" using clear hot (not boiling) water to rinse out the vinegar. (The vinegar idea came from instructions that came with our coffee maker to remove the calcium buildup on the heating element. Don't know how well it really works since I can't see the atomizer's coil. But I figured it can't hurt...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread