How to remove oxygen from storage bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I may up the base I use to 60mg per ml for my storage. I normally use 36mg base because it gives me nice even numbers since i vape 18mg. 60mg also gives me a nice round number of 9ml for base when making 30ml bottles. Would save me a little freezer room, which would allow me to stockpile more :)

Or store it at 100mg and cut it when you take it out therefore saving even more space.

Reactions: IDJoel

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I am a little worried about having base of that strength. It is almost 3x more dangerous than what i normally use.
If you don't have a spill, it doesn't matter, you didn't spill anything.

If you do have a spill, it still doesn't matter since you have to clean it up right away in either case.

100mg is not the deadly corrosive poison it's made out to be. One time, for science, I put a drop on the back of my hand, and left it there for fifteen minutes. No itching, burning, redness...nothing! After fifteen minutes were up, I licked it off. Tasted very "spicy," kind of like hot sauce but with no actual flavor, just the "bite." I'm still here to tell the story.

EarnestAccord

Dec 18, 2015
Much discussion whether O2 purging is necasary, and I have to agree with the general concess of no, but I also very much relate to wanting a perfect storage solution. A simple DIY way to purge O2 is to use CO2 being sublimated from dry ice. This is used by "preppers" in home food storage. Build a mason jar lid with a small aquarium hose glued to the top. Drop a medium sized peice of dry ice inside, tighten it and wait a minute or so for it to push all of the O2 out and start dispensing CO2. CO2 is heavier than atmospheric air so just fill the top of the bottle with CO2, like it was water and done. O2 purged and replaced with CO2. Hope this helps.

t man

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2010
vermont
With all the talk about shaking versus non shaking I thought I would post the procedure that I use for bottling a new batch of nic solution. First I pour the whole bottle (usually 1000ml) into a 1500ml glass beaker. Then stir with a glass rod, I feel this way the nic is blended without introducing O2. I then do a titration test on that batch. Next I fill my 120ml glass storage bottles by by using a catheter tipped syringe. Then label with date and results of titration test. Finally put four bottles each into a ziplock bag and add to freezer. I also write on the bag with a sharpie the date titration results.

Magic Of Light

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Englewood Ohio
I just received my sample from Nude Nicotine today. They sent me about 15ml instead of 10 :). But one thing I noticed, and its very clear. Is the red letter warning about it being nicotine and dangerous. And at the very end, in capital large red letters it says. SHAKE WELL. That should pretty much put that to rest hmm?

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Ehh, no not really... Nude haven't shown the highest chemical knowldedge anyways untill now, although import/sell great nicotine... It's a statement to cover there ..., if a batch goes wrong with there mixing.

As stated multiple times by now, if the vendor mixes the nicbase properly, then it will not fall out of solution in normal cases(e.g. very high heat 60C+), but just in case, we shake it when just gotten just to make sure, but after that it's not needed, but can be done if wanted...

engmia

Apr 29, 2016
I just received my sample from Nude Nicotine today. They sent me about 15ml instead of 10 :). But one thing I noticed, and its very clear. Is the red letter warning about it being nicotine and dangerous. And at the very end, in capital large red letters it says. SHAKE WELL. That should pretty much put that to rest hmm?
Yes it absolutely does. Nicotine is dangerous, at 100 mg/ml it's still not instant death poison but as you mentioned, it's as three times as strong. I agree with the current limits and this being about the maximum concentration safe to work without PPE (that's even 72 mg/ml in Europe). All the Poison labels are all so necessary, what if a spill happens in transport and the people don't know what is inside? So the amounts of liquid needed would be three times as less to get an ill effects in a case of a spill. Plus lower concentration nicotine oxidises slower :)

And always, always, always shake well all of your ingredients. There was a thread on reddit recently of this person that didn't shake his VG nicotine bottles, and now his DIY juice is extremely harsh. I remember people reporting getting harsh juice, and the issue being resolved after they started to shake their ingredients (the last thing I would guess to not have homogenised). Obviously no scientific tests were done to confirm higher concentration of the chemicals in the liquids, however many weird problems that seemed to be resolved with simply shaking ALL of your ingredients.

Anyways I'm getting carried away -- I've seen Argon (wine perserver) being recommended for such tasks. I've been considering buying some for my soon to be freezer pack.

Last edited:

engmia

Apr 29, 2016
Everyone agrees it's good to shake initially, but the reason I stated "no, not really", was because of the OPs opinion of needing to shake nicbase before each use, in previous posts in thread... It's not wrong to do, but just not neccesary either...
Well I do shake all of my ingredients prior to each use, and each I think "oh is this really necessary?" but I do believe yes.

If you are not sure your ingredients aren't completely homogenised, even without full separation there is the risk of hot spots. And if you are sure your ingredients are completely mixed and 100% homogenised why shake them in the first place? First, second or last use?

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Simply because when first gotten we can't be 100% sure the nic was mixed properly, hence making sure of it ourselves. After this, then you can do it again of course if you want from time to time, but 100mg nicbase will not hotspot when mixed properly once, except highly unusual circumstances like reaching over 60C+, or freezing solid(which freezing doesn't do in our freezers)... Note i'm no expert, but go by learning from them....

engmia

Apr 29, 2016
Simply because when first gotten we can't be 100% sure the nic was mixed properly, hence making sure of it ourselves. After this, then you can do it again of course if you want from time to time, but 100mg nicbase will not hotspot when mixed properly once, except highly unusual circumstances like reaching over 60C+, or freezing solid(which freezing doesn't do in our freezers)... Note i'm no expert, but go by learning from them....
That's nice to know. Have you done nicotine titrate tests to confirm it? I still haven't managed to get my hands on one myself to do some experimenting around :(

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
After nicotine mixed properly there is no need to shake at any time later. But if shaking ritual brings satisfaction - why not?

I am not so sure about some alcohol based flavorings. Addition of alcohol means solubility in pure PG is not good enough. I really do not know if they can make "hot spots" in prepared juice, but at least they look a bit suspicious for me.

Reactions: mhertz

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
The way I have been storing my bulk stash has been shaking the nic in original botles and then decanting into my amber 250,120s. Then I let sit for 2hours so air bubbles rise to surface. then place in deep box and fill with co2 from my welder tank and concentrate the co2 spray from tank over mouth of bottle while capping with poly cone cap. And the just to be sure I vacume seal every bottle individually to protect them from breaking and sealing it in case of leaks and as a secondary oxygen barrier. Probably overkill, bu I already had the tools and supplies, so why not. I dont think I would go to all the trouble that I have if you dont already have the co2 and vacume sealer but hey I will let you guys know in 10 to 20 years. Good luck.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
That's nice to know. Have you done nicotine titrate tests to confirm it? I still haven't managed to get my hands on one myself to do some experimenting around :(
No, I didn't feel I needed to personally... Testing for nic-content generally though sounds fun and i'm thinking of getting a set too :) I found one on a UK site, but sold out currently... I don't wanna pay shipping from the US and extra customs on top of that... I believe i've read those kits can be gotten for pool usage also, so maybe search for that instead. I'm guessing you're not from the states either, as the kits there are available many places, and also since you referenced the max allowed nic-purity in EU in a previous posting...

engmia

Apr 29, 2016
No, I didn't feel I needed to personally... Testing for nic-content generally though sounds fun and i'm thinking of getting a set too :) I found one on a UK site, but sold out currently... I don't wanna pay shipping from the US and extra customs on top of that... I believe i've read those kits can be gotten for pool usage also, so maybe search for that instead. I'm guessing you're not from the states either, as the kits there are available many places, and also since you referenced the max allowed nic-purity in EU in a previous posting...
Yes absolutely correct. Have you been eyeing this thread by any chance? Please do tell if you manage to find an European supplier, UK ones work perfect. I used to live there and love shopping from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread