how to see hot spots on ss wick/coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarnacc

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2011
south texas
Alright I give up. I apologize in advance, I know it is here somewhere but I cant find it. I have been searching and found all kinds of information about how to eliminate hot spots and oxidize wires and coils. All kinds of combinations of cotton, bamboo and stainless steel. Variations on wire type and guage. In all the threads and videos I find people talk about looking for hot spots and what to do about them but I cant find anywhere to tell me what I am looking for.

I am using a cotton wick inside a ss with coil around the ss. This is on a pheonix RA. As I am using a cotton wick inside the ss I cannot dry burn it so I wet burn it. Very impressive display of poping and sizzling but what am I looking for?! I am sure this has been gone over so many times and is so simple that people just dont think to go in to it anymore.

Would someone please give me some hints? I would really appreciate it.

Michaelb83

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2012
Charlotte tn
Hotspots are places that glow red before the coil glows. Sometimes its the leads before the coil that glows first. Sometimes its one half of the coil glowing before the other. Generally you want the coil to glow evenly. That's in a dry burn situation. You would need to adjust the part thats glowing before everything else. Normally the juice/air keep it cooled off. If it tastes like a dry Atty hit its got a hotspot. If not you should be in good shape. Maybe this helps, I'm still new with ra's. Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Tarnacc

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2011
south texas
Thanks for the response Michael. Actually I get that part. My problem is that I have a cotton wick inside the SS so I cant dry burn to see the glow. I am trying to figure out how to see the hot-spots when wet. I know it can be done, guys talk about doing it all the time but I cant find anywhere that describes what that looks like lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread