How To Shorten 510 Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Magma rda clone from fasttech but the 510 connection is too long for all of my devices. The discussion forum at FT talked about using a Dremel tool to sand down the connection. However I'm not quite understanding the best way to do that. Do I need to sand down both the negative and the pin or just the pin? And which side of the pin? The one side is the screw slot for tightening into the positive post. The other side is threaded and goes into the positive post. Won't sanding either screw up the threads or ruin the screw slot?

I'm new at modifying and while willing to try it, I want to understand the best way to give it a go. And advice appreciated.

Cheers!

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I'm new at modifying and while willing to try it, I want to understand the best way to give it a go. And advice appreciated.

Cheers!
Anything you do physically will have some level of bad news.

See the 510 screw in the photo below? It has a shoulder on it at the base of the threads, which bottoms out in the offset positive block... so unless you want to remove material from the screw head, and perhaps re-cut the screwdriver slot, you're not going to shorten that. (If you had a lathe, it'd be a 5 minute operation to drop the shoulder)

346532d1402785608-fasttech-magma-clone-magmadisassembled.jpg

So, that's your option with the atty... or tell FT, and they'll probably send you another one without asking for the current on back (nothing to loose there).

If you're using a mech mod, you also can shorten the 510 insulator and/or pin... if they're not adjustable or floating that is, which would be a pretty uncommon encounter these days.

Edit: Just thought of another way (brain only half on today) that would eliminated the need for sanding, grinding, filling etc etc.
Use a drill to very lightly counter-sink the offset positive block... it will allow the 510 screw to sink slightly deeper into the block. A bit at a time until you get a flush fit in your mod.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread